1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SlySoft switching over to the Euro soon, prices going up

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by fasfrank, Nov 30, 2007.

1. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

That might be the sanest thing I've read here in many a moon. The quality of the movies, I've been backing up this year, would dictate that 90% of them should have been burned to CMC Mag blanks since they will never be played again anyway. LMAO

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Garmoon
    LOL How true. Which really points to the question, is the overly expensive software needed as well.

It's been a rather long "time being". I don't think DVDIdle had a crystal ball to foresee the drop in the US dollar and SlySoft switching to euros on a 1:1 basis (so rumor has it). I don't see any ulterior motives. Even if they stop giving DVDFab HD Decrypter away tomorrow, the DVDFab Platinum will still be more price friendly and does the job of both AnyDVD and CloneDVD 2. Even if DVDIdle raises their prices in line with Slysoft, we still have Slysoft to thank for initiating the price escalation.

3. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

hi fellas. just read this whole thread. i tried the free version of

clonedvd 2 and anydvd hd. there was only 1 flic i couldn't do w/dvdfab

hd, and if anydvd hd wasn't around it wouldn't of made a difference.

as for the price you guys got me going now, but it's going to b a

while

b4 they actually go directly 2 hd, or, bluray, and get rid of the now

regular dvds. vcr's were suppose to b over w/and they're still selling

combo units. it's probably going 2 happen, but i wouldn't put too much

emphasis on it. i do like my bang 4 the buck though. right now free is

banging 4 no bucks. pls. show me where clonedvd2 is faster, or better

than shrink in respect to transcoding. i pick the file, click back up,

and boom. off i go 2 imgburn. that being said, the old w/e where

nothing goes down, but up, doesn't always apply 2 software, or

electronics. they usually level off then go down. usually. that being

said, it's not a bad idea to have some big guns ready just in case.

i'm going 2 google paypal, cause i really don't know what the

difference would be using visa/or w/e. in closing, my resolution to

pay off my visa, and not add anything to it might have to be broken.

maybe. 4 1 dvd. i really don't think so right now.

dvdfab hd, shrink, imgburn. if it stops working. then visa.

4. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Use what you're happy with and cost of a piece of soft won't bother you.

5. res2cue

res2cue Guest

true, but when was the last time a new release was readily available for renting or purchase?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2007
  6. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

just trying for lack of a better word right now, put things in perspective in relation to either the price, or the slight anxiety regarding full conversion to hd or bluray. as for the price, believe me when there's no alternative us digital video enthusiasts will get anydvd. right now we have something to work with in dvdfab hd, and other freeware.

now as far as vhs's still being sold, or rented, new releases probably aren't, but there's still a boat load of stuff that many video stores, etc... were stuck w/that's still being sold. remember also, most of us are very fortunate to be in good hands as far as economics is concerned.
    who knows if in some other very poor countries they're still putting out vhs, whether old or new. bottom line it would be a marketing disaster to just stop putting out the regular new dvds, and go straight to hd, or bluray overnight. this is going to be an interesting ?, but how many of us now, except 4 an hd, or bluray stand alone, or even that, have an hd, or bluray burner?

"let the games begin."

p.s. it's always about the $$$. whether we want to admit it, or not.

7. res2cue

res2cue Guest

as per my update email direct from Slysoft:

from the horses mouth... 40% increase.

@dr_ml422: do you really think they care if we don't have burners capable of burning their HD or Blu-ray movies? There is no argument to keep the current format of DVD, the fact that you and I and the stores will have the current format in years to come only means they will continue to produce the players to watch them on and that will probably be backwards compatible HD or Blu-ray players.., it does not mean they will continue to produce movies in the current format. It is cheaper for them to only have to produce in a single format, this is where you are correct. Money Talks. My prediction, current DVD format 90% extinction inside 2 years.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2007
  8. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

If one owns the product(s) - no problem.
    If one wants to own the product(s) - good time to buy.
    If one does not want to own the product(s) - no problem.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  9. res2cue

res2cue Guest

Absolutely!!! They have the right to charge whatever they want, if the consumer isn't willing to pay it, they don't have to...

10. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

i was going 2 say that i don't mean to add gas 2 the fire. it would be senseless as the fire started burning w/the opening line of this thread.
    from a business point of view, irregardless of whether, or not slysoft raised its prices, the conversion 2 hd, or bluray immediately is not in the best interest of business. there would be millions if not billions of dvds on shelves or in video stores because there's no way that those who watch videos and can't afford an hd or bluray stand alone , or burner, would buy 1 fast enough to catch up and prevent the movie industry from banging their heads on a wall. it's business. they have 2 care about the business of handling business, thus by default they do take such precautions, and consideration when it comes 2 the consumer.

they don't care about us is correct, but they do care about our money.
    millions of bluray, or hd formatted discs on a shelf in a store or warehouse doesn't make money. that being said, the old advice or w/e of i over e comes into effect. intellect over emotion always. it's just business. not personal. it's all good.

and yes, insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results. that's why in the best interest of business itself the conversion will happen, but not so quickly. not until the laymen can afford a stand alone hd, or bluray player at the current prices, or when they drop them so they could.

want to hear a good one. better pray they don't hike the price of hd, or bluray stand alone players the same way they're jacking up slysoft.
    euro conversion would definitely be out of reach. we're debating about $49.99 to euro. imagine $349.99 2 euro. more or less.

11. res2cue

res2cue Guest

nahhhh, the prices will only come down so more people can have access to them.

12. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I don't think that the standard dvd's will be 90% gone in 2 yrs, the only way that would happin is if the blue ray -HD-dvd wars stop, the players come down to $100 price, and the dvd's themselves sell for the same price as the standard dvd's sell for now, do not see any of that happining in 2 yrs, no way.

And don't forget the other fact, many people around that still have a bad taste in thier mouth with the beta, vhs crap, and most people are still satisfied with the standard dvd movie picture quality, and last, many people also have nice dvd collections, and to start a new one unless the incentives were tremndous? nope don't think so, our standard dvd's are gonna be around for a while.

13. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

thnx fred. pure economics. especially 4 business. imagine what the cost of a pc or mac would b if in 2 yrs. they'd put in hd, or bluray burners as a for the road package. nope ain't going 2 happen.

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

15. res2cue

res2cue Guest

i didn't say, or even imply that all current format DVD's are going to self distruct, you can keep your DVD collection, I just think that it will be very hard to find new releases in DVD format. Video Stores can save money and so can the production companies. All they have to do is keep making the players. And, if the story holds true, this format war should end sometime next year.

16. FredBun

FredBun Active member

I can see some of your points, sure sooner or later things will change thats just the inevitable, remember what you said, (They have the right to charge whatever they want, if the consumer isn't willing to pay it, they don't have to...), that is what is kicking these blue ray and hd-dvd's in the ass right now, and will continue doing so for some time to come.

Starting another collection for something that gives you a little better picture quality? nope.
    The blockbusters or Hollywood video stores I go to still don't carry anything in those two formats, not in my area anyway, and I'm in the suburan Philly area, most people are just not intersted, and yes techies are, and its what techies say is whats mainly gets published in mags, paper, internet and the tv news media, the minority, but not the regular silent majority, I go by what I see in the trenches and not what media people are telling me whats going on out there or what I should go for.
    Yeah the war between the formats might, and I say might lightly might be over next year, but the kind of prices that we the regulars are seeking will not arrive anytime soon being equipment or movies.
    Sure I can be easily wrong about the two year thing, but I really don't think so, remember how s-vhs was suppose to change everything, yeah right, same thing with these two formats, the difference is sooner or later they will win out when the prices do drastically change, but no where near in 2 yrs., but than just when those two nitwits that are fighting each other and settle things maybe another new format will arrive, possibly a smaller faster better quality disc maybe the size of a penny lol, all that will come.
    Mark my words tough, standard dvd's are gonna hold strong for another 5yrs easy.

17. res2cue

res2cue Guest

I hope you are right, don't think so... but I hope so. Talking about anydvd being able to charge whatever they want and comparing that to HD- Blu-ray is apples and oranges simply because where software is concerned you have free options. Cost isn't huge factor anymore with movies because the price difference of movies is minimal. Some stores are selling new releases on HD is a mere $2 more than conventional dvd. They are doing their best to get the consumer to a point where they will think it is a good deal to get that better quality. One the players become more reasonably priced (which has happened considerably this last 6 months)it's going to open the flood gates.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2007
  18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The interesting proposition is recordable media costs. Currently if you want a backup for your HD or Blu Ray, you simply buy a second copy. That's one way of stopping enthusiasts from backing up their videos. No need for AnyDVD or any of the other programs.

In reflection, the DL recordable didn't do too well in competition with the DVD5 format. Cost still isn't close enough for most users to adopt it. A good Verbatim DL still runs about $2 US (or more). $15 hi def coasters will be an interesting sight. Even if the industry cuts the price in half, recording is going to be an expensive proposition in the newer hd formats.

It's interesting times. The DVDs we're buying are dual layer and we're backing them up on DVD5. Maybe someone will come up with some good software so we can encode hd to DVD9.

I'm not taking any bets either way on which way the video formats are going to swing over the next couple of years. There's an awfully large group of consumers who still own DVD players that won't want to switch technology until the prices become reasonable. The one thing I don't see is the cost of the new hi tech becoming that reasonable over the next couple of years. I hope Sony and the others fool me though. I like the concept of hd, just not the current high prices for hardware and recordable media.

19. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

hi pacman. when you say the dl's didn't do that well compared to the dvd 5s, did you mean regular format dl blanks, or the hd blanks if there are any? i wouldn't know about anything hd, blank or otherwise. don't have anything hd whatsoever. if it's regular dl format then you have an even better reason as i do to agree about most of which we've been posting.

if it's hd dl's then it's a mood point also as not too many people have hd, or blu-ray burners anyway. either way the industry is going to tread these waters really slow, as it's going to affect everything from recordable media to the price of a for the road pc, or even mac, w/a hd, or bluray burner. they're already subjecting us to vista w/out any options for xp on new pcs right now. imagine them all of a sudden hiking the price of a standard pc w/a bluray or hd burner together w/full conversion to hd/bluray format. these guys at sony and everywhere else are definitely about money, but they're more about getting it than losing. that's the bottom line. so in the interest of great profit and smart business we'll be ok 4 a while.

i'll just burn everything i could get my hands on that i want and have the stand alone's to watch it until then.

if they keep putting out these horrible flics, we won't be burning too much anyway. lol...

20. diverj

diverj Regular member

Except that on Slysoft's webpage, they state there will be a 40% increase in price. Sounds to me like two things are going on, they are switching over to Euros and increasing their price all at one time.