1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smallest 1080i and 1080p HDTV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ProPlaya, Mar 10, 2007.

1. ProPlaya

ProPlaya Member

Hi I live in the UK and was planning on buying a hdtv in time for the PS3 release. I am looking for a hdtv which is 26" and at the very most 32" but I also want it to have the highest resolution. Does anybody know the highest HDTV resolution (1080i, 1080p, etc) that I can get for a maximum of 32". So far the highest resolution 32" HDTV I have seen is 1368 x 768. I don't really care about the price but I do about the size because the biggest tv I can fit is 32" :(. Also if anybody can recommend me a place from where I could buy it I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
    Michael

2. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

With a tv that size you don't need a 1080p cause you won't see any difference. Plus I don't think they make 1080p that small. Correct me if I'm wrong. My 2 pixels.

3. ProPlaya

ProPlaya Member

Hi thanks for replying. I was wondering if you knew what was the highest resolution 32" HDTV I could get. The price doesn't matter.

Many thanks

4. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Dell makes really nice monitors that come in 27" and 30". I would have a look at these.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=222-7315

It is 27", and has a resolution of 1920 x 1200. It has component and composite inputs and VGA, and DVI.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=222-0863

This one is 30" and has a resolution of 2560 x 1600 resolution.
    I'm not sure about the inputs it has though.

If those are out of your price range I can list some otherers that are cheaper.

5. ProPlaya

ProPlaya Member

Hi are these monitors for the computer because I was looking for ones which are primarily a tv so that others can watch it while I'm not gonna be playing the PS3 :). If anybody knows of any 1920 x 1080 HDTV which is under 32" can you please reply (not 1920 x 1200 sorry :().

Many thanks

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  6. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

1920 x 1200 is higher than 1080p. And unless some people know something I don't know I would say that what I showed you is the best you are going to get. It has connections for a sat/cable box, so you can use it as TV. So if you have a set top box for TV already I don't see much difference in this and a TV. What do you use for sat/cable service right now? Do you have a set top box? If you do you won't notice a difference. But I would think that even if you didn't already have some sort of service with a set top box you would want to get HD, Which would automaticlly require a set top box.

7. ProPlaya

ProPlaya Member

Hi, I know that 1920 x 1200 is bigger than 1920 x 1080 but I don't want to see the black lines around the image or I dont want the image to be streched to fill up the whole screen if i'm watching a 16:9 film. I live in the UK and we have a service called freeview which comes to the tv directly without a set top box. If you tell me the US version of the hdtv's I can try and find out the UK version of it with in built freeview.

Many thanks

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

You're in for a rude awakening. Most letterbox movies are not going to fill the whole screen in an HD set. You're still going to have the bars in some formats. You will have to stretch the picture to fill the screen.

9. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

Yes, and if you don't want widescreen your screwed basiclly because I don't think you'll ever see a 1080p TV/monitor that isn't widescreen. If you dropped the 1080p request then it would be alot easier to find a TV that size. Otherwize I'd say what I showed you is the best you are going to find with 1080p.

10. ProPlaya

ProPlaya Member

Hi thanks for the info about the letterbox movies. But for the PS3 I would like the games to be displayed in widescreen and to fill up the whole screen. Also as I live in the UK and don't have a set top box the monitor you previously showed me wouldn't be of much help (sorry I don't mean to sound ungrateful - I really do thank you for helping me). If they do not make 1080p HDTV's at 32" does anybody know if they do at 1080i. Apart from this the only other HD resolutions I could find was 720p x 1280 and 768p x 1366. I basically want to buy a really good HDTV which is no more than 32" and I would like to know the highest resolution possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

11. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I understand that what I showed you wasn't exactly what you wanted. However that was the only way I could find that you could get 1080p on a display 32" or under. But since you decided to settle for a lower resolution it will be alot easier. They make alot of really nice 32" 768p LCD TVs. But if you could settle for a CRT TV you could get 1080i with one of those if you didn't mind the size. If you want a flat pannel however, then the highest resolution you can get for that size it 768p. LCDs and other flat pannels won't display interlaced images such as 1080i). They will insted downconvert them to 720p or 768p. This is because flat pannels such as LCDs are fixed pixle displays. CRT TVs are interlaced displays and therefore display interlaced. I hope you understood all that. If you do it will make it easier for us to find you a TV.

If you are wondering which resolution is better 1080i or 720p, look at this thread. As it will help you with your desision on your TV.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/395872

I will quote something that I found from this website
    http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/...res/97928.shtml

If you read through that thread about 1080i vs 720p, I would pay more attention to diabolos post than HD_nut (diabolos knows more in my opinion.

12. ProPlaya

ProPlaya Member

Hi thanks for your reply. I have read it and diabolos seems to be saying that 1080i is better because there is more information is displayed and would be equally as good for films because they are recorded in 24fps. For the PS3 games that support 1080i I want to play them in that rather than downscale it to 720p. If what you say is correct that I won't find an LCD which can natively output 1080i then it looks like I might have to settle for 720p. If I buy a HDTV which is 1366x768p, would it be able to display images which are sent at 1080p/i even though it will have to downscale them? Also I was wondering what stats should I be looking for when buying a HDTV apart from HDMI, contrast ratio, refresh rate and brightness (higher is better for brightness right?) I am planning to buy a REALLY good HDTV so that I won't need to upgrade it for a long while to come.

Many thanks

13. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

You are correct with all of your information. I'm glad you read some of that so you now understand more. You are right about the higher number for brightness, the better. You are also right about the resolutions. If you want an LCD that size 768p is the best you can get. I think you said you lived in the UK so I don't really know any good places to buy TVs from over there. If you can find this TV and like it alright I would highly recomend it as it is the best 32" 768p TV on this website in my opinion.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat95100050006&id=1155069777292

If that one is too much money, this is pprobablly my second favorite TV from this site.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat95100050006&id=1134702498462

Both of these TVs are probablly the best you will find with the requirements you had, neither of them will disappoint you.

The only thing that I am worried about is statement,

720p might be ok with you but 1080p is becoming more and more mainstream. The TVs I listed are the best of their kind for now but will become fased out with newer 1080p TVs. If you want your TV to be comepletely future proof I would recomend 1080p. On the other hand some people I know can't even tell the difference, so not having 1080p doesn't bother them. You may also feel the same way. But as I have stated before if you get 1080p right now you will have to get atleast a 37" TV. If not the TVs I listed will still be nice.

14. bcretty

bcretty Guest

15. bcretty

bcretty Guest

16. bcretty

bcretty Guest

Not sure why my links didn't work.

Sharp AQUOS LC32D62U
    It can be found at www.circuitciyt.com for $1299 and www.buy.com for under $1200.

Enjoy.

17. Spenman91

Spenman91 Regular member

I would deffinately go with the 1080p sharp TV rather than the ones I recomended. I didn't know they made them that small. I havent ever seen them at Bestbuy and I never look at CircutCity.

18. KingLedg

KingLedg Member

I just bought the Sharp Aquos 32 inch tv...Its pretty good so far I also bought a ps3 with it but didn't have enough money on me to get the hdmi cable. I have the cable in my hand now at work and once I get home I will install and try a game and blue-ray movie and let everyone know what I think later or tomorrow. I bought the tv for 1399 but found many websites that sell it for cheaper like for 1150. Not sure im allowed to say the websites on this board but you can pm for more info.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  19. bcretty

bcretty Guest

I just got back from NY city and was able to view a Sharp 52" (LC-52D92U) and was simply blown away. This is there highend line and the smallest they make is a 46" (LC-46D92U). THis is the first time I have ever seen an LCD image surpass comparable plasma screens. Wow!!!

20. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Sharp really does make the best LCD screen I've ever seen.