1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smart Ripper + Nero. A good combinaiton?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by birdyfoot, Mar 13, 2004.

1. birdyfoot

birdyfoot Member

Yes... I'm trying to rip-off DVDs. Is it possible to use Smart Ripper to make a backup of a DVD to the HD and then use Nero to burn it? Manny DVD-r have already been sacrificed to this effort. Everything seems fine but then while useing Power DVD to play them back I receive an eror message that the DVD must be dirty, which is not the case. I can open up the DVD files and play them individualy but I want them to at least play in order without prompting. Also, can't you make a DVD from just a .vob file, or edit and/or split vob files with Nero? If I try to make a DVD with a .vob file I receive warnings asking for BUP and ISO files. Can't Nero somehow author it's own BUP ISO files?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Well there birdyfoot, you're going have to learn a bit of that - he, he - actually it's pretty easy -

What you have to know is that you need ifo (information)files, bup (backup information) and Vob's in order to backup a DVD :)

Why not use a program that will do it all for you - DVD Shrink :p

and then use your friend Nero to burn it for you -

I suggest you point yourself in that direction - ->

Shrink download - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    Shrink Guide -
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink_3.htm

Anyhow, Welcome to the Club :)

Enjoy your reading and, your welcome -

Pete

3. birdyfoot

birdyfoot Member

Thanks for the advise Pete, I'm going to checkout that
    DVD shrink right now, but I was really hopeing Smart
    Ripper and Nero could be made to get along. Smart
    Ripper does make backup copies of the bup & ifo files, and what if all I have is a .vob file or one that is too big for a single DVD? Are these just pipe dreams?

Thanks again.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I suggest making your ifo and bup files using IFOEdit.

Then try using Shrink -

Normally settings are set for file sizes at 1GB, When ripping next time check your settings

Still wondering how you got 1 large VOB ??

5. birdyfoot

birdyfoot Member

No I've been doing that on purpose because I thought it was a pain to play them back in peices. It's only recently that I got a DVD burner.

I did a little homework and downloaded both shrinkDVD and IFOedit. I can't believe their free! Now I have to paly around with these programs for a while, make a few more coasters and cut my losses.

Thanks Pete, see you later.