1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SmartRip and Nero...great....DVDOne?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bugdal, Jan 24, 2004.

1. bugdal

bugdal Guest

It would have been nice to have stumbled onto AfterDawn when I was trying to find out the best way and how to copy a DVD movie. Even now it would be nice to have a simple, clear, step by step instructions for newbies. Anyhow...SmartRip and Nero work great. My question is what does DVD one do that SmartRip and Nero do not do? The information on DVD2One states that it rips faster...does that mean more compression with degredation in copying a DVD Movie? Is it worth pursuing?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bugdal,

I like DVDShrink much better than I like SmartRipper. I just finished backing up "Finding Nemo" and happened to use SmartRipper - not on my system would it work - DVD Decrypter did work well though as did the new Shrink 3.1.3. Truth be told, Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 wouldn't work either.

My advice for "Newbies", install Nero and use DVDShrink 3.1.3 - it will automatically grab Nero behind the scenes, backup your movie to your HD AND burn your DVD with just 3 clicks. Yep, 3 clicks – one to rip your DVD, another to backup your DVD and the last to begin your back up / burn. Go watch some TV or have some lunch and when you come back, your disc is finished :)

DVD2One is on my PC and I wouldn't delete it, ever. It's smooth, easy operation and the ease with which you can join movies together. I have my "Saturday Night Entertainment" disc which I put 3 movies together so I don't have to change discs is, Way Kool !

It must be a good idea because this spring, 321 Studios are releasing their DVD Vault (putting 5 movies on a single disc with decent resolution on up to 27" TV's.

But, I digress, if you haven't tried it - DVDShrink 3.1.3 - definitely keep your Nero and DVD2One is worth the $$$ outlay also –

BTW – Welcome to the neighborhood :)

Pete

DVDShrink 3.1.3 link -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

3. bugdal

bugdal Guest

Wow...I know I am over my head...but I will get there.
    I apoligize for saying I used Smart Rip...when I am really using DVDShrink. Being a newbie I do not understand putting two movies on one disk...but I will learn. My interest is what does DVD2One do on a straight copy. Reading the information it seems as a faster rip or copy. Does this mean it has more compression and loss of quality or what?
    Thanks for your help.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I think DVD2One does fine - it doesn't over compress, it's the ease of the thing - Compression is compression one isn't different than the other - you can have more of it hence less quality.

I think the end result of DVD2One is plenty acceptable for me - I have a 19" PC monitor and a 65" TV. I also find that 99% of the stuff I run on Shrink is fine also.

You can always delete the extras and trailers and foreign languages and you need not compress so much -

"P"