1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So do I understand this converting process correctly...

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Skax, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Skax

Skax Member

I have already captured a full VHS vid tape using the default software that came with my capture card (Power Director Pro) and it saved the file as a mpeg. After converting it to DVD format the quality was very poor.

Should I capture it using a program which saves the file as an AVI then convert it to mpeg2? That is what I understand the go is, although I also get the impression mpeg2 is the updated version of mpeg. If the file is already saved as a mpeg will making it a mpeg2 make much diff to the quality? So noob...

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you are Makeing a DVD then Mpeg2 is the Format you Must use, Mpeg1 is Generally Not used to Make DVD"s...
    Converting a Files format will Allways Degrade the Quality so converting it from one Format to another will Not improve the Quality and Captureing directly to mpeg doesn"t allways produce the Best Quality unless you use a Good capture Program at a High Bitrate...You can get Fairly good Quality Useing WinDVR 3.0 useing it"s "Hi-Quality DVD Capture Profile" which captures directly to Mpeg2 that you just have to author it to DVD useing a DVD authoring program without Re-Encodeing it and Power director is not a DVD authoring program well Not a proper One, something like DVD-Lab is good for Putting DVD Compliant Mpeg2 files on DVD....
    You can also capture to AVI useing the HuffYUV Codec which will produce the best Quality But this format takes Up LOTS of Disk Space so you would need about 30gb per hour of Video on a seperate Fast Hard drive preferably ,And then you would need to encode the AVI file to DVD Compliant Mpeg2 useing a High Quality Mpeg2 encoder Like Maybe Tmpgenc, and then you would author the Mpeg2 file to DVD...From what I remember Power Director 2.5 had Fairly Good Mpeg2 DVD Capture Quality, Maybe your Problem is that you Converted it again after Captureing to put it on DVD or maybe you did not capture the File useing the DVD Mpeg2 settings??? well anyways Good Luck...Cheers