1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SO FRUSTRATED! HELP PLEASE! :(

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Cirrinone, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

Okay, I've had a CD/DVD-R/RW since Christmas and I can't burn a damn DVD without choppiness/blockiness, and color flickers. Some films have less than others. But all have flaws... and I just can't watch a movie and worry when I have to FF/REW to get over that part.

I am using a Sony DRX-710UL and use FUJIFILM DVD-R 4.7GB (up to 8x) and it's blue on the bottom, I know people have mentioned dye, I don't quite know the difference.

People have said to encode and burn with nothing going in the background. I did. They said to slow the write speed to 4x, so I did. STILL PROBLEMS.

I have .avi files, I convert via WINAVI 5.8, then burn using Nero... am I missing something?!

This is what I noticed. The last movie I just watched, it had four color flickers. I have no idea where they came from, they were random but only lasted a second or so. The choppiness/blockiness/looks like slow-motion comes when there is something sudden or rapid going on in the movie. Lightning, a fight/bunch of movement with people, running, stuff like that. When it's slow moving film and talking, it works like a charm.

Is it just the quality of my .avi? Does graphics card on computer have anything to do with it? I wouldn't think so, since your computer doesn't really have an affect on the file from encode to burn. But who knows.

Please help! It was a 200 dollar present, and I can't seem to make it work right! I'm desperate, lol. I've read the guides and all and the TMPblahblah takes like 40 hours to encode a movie! WinAVI is short, and I don't think that's what's causing the problems in the film anyway?

Thank you in advance.

2. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

List your system specs.

Then, are you starting out with AVI files or are you converting TO AVI? Personally I wouldn't mess with AVI at all, from what I hear the flie type isn't well suited for this, but hey I could be wrong. Your media sounds good, Fuji's are pretty good.

If you are just trying to back up a regular movie, grab Decrypter and Shrink. Best two freeware proggys around. Easy to use as well.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  3. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

I'm converting FROM .avi (they are downloaded films) to .vob, .bup, etc. I have Decryptor and Shrink and plan to use those to copy the movies I own. But I have a few things I got offline I wanted to burn to .dvd.

Where do I find system specs?

I have 55.8GB HD, 11.3GB free. FAT32... that's all I can find. It's an old computer that we upgraded two years ago with a whole new system pretty much, but I know we didn't upgrade the graphics card to anything special if that has anything to do with it... I'm running Windows 2000.

Thanks.

4. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

Just found some more.

490,992 KB RAM
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    AT/AT Compatible

5. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

Is that not enough? Is it my system or what? Works pretty fast usually, didn't think it was that...?

6. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

7. TommyGunn

TommyGunn Guest

if ur gonna go the avi file method then at least choose xvid avi's...the quality is outstanding and i never had a problem converting these to a dvd
    also u don't need to convert an avi to an vob to burn to a dvd...i use nerovision express3 all the time and when it asks me to add a video file i just drag my avi file and nero does the rest..i add my chapters if i want and also custom backgrounds..but thats not necessary..you can just choose to make some chapters and unclick make menus and ur done..let it encode and burn and there u will have dvd from an avi..hope this helps

8. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

What's the difference between Xvid and DivX besides one is spelt backwards? I use DivX to play them (never heard of Xvid) but I have no idea what the difference is?

9. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

First things first.

How does the the avi play on your PC ?

Once converted how does the file play on your PC ?

If you answer fine to all the above then the most likely reason is your DVD recordable media (Try some different media)

Your system specs will be fine for converting as long as you are not doing loads of multitasking.

As for the difference between Divx & Xvid well it is the same format but has been enhanced by some clever chap, i dont believe there is a simple answer to this question other then xvid is better then Divx, not really the answer you wanted probably LOL.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  10. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

The avi played on my pc at low quality, and funny thing is, if I grabbed the bar and advanced in the movie with it, the picture and sound wouldn't line up. However, when I watched it on the standalone, it never had a problem with that. Anyways, yes, it is low quality, but it didn't really get choppy like it did in the film. It was the same way after conversion. I thought perhaps the quality of the movie was so bad because of the graphics card? That does have an affect on how it plays, right? I guess maybe it's the quality of the .avi? Meaning when I backup movies I have bought on dvd to dvr, then there should be no problem? Much better quality than downloaded ones? Guess I can't download...

Must work for some people though if so many d/l movies? I guess, if it seems too good to be true, it probably isn't true, lol.

11. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

AVI playback on your Pc will depend on your PC specs especially if it is Divx or Xvid.

Unfortunately crap quality in means crap quality out but if it is not choppy on the PC then there is no reson why it should be on a strandalone unless the DVD media is not very good.

As for downloading files well you can download DVD format but it takes ages and is not really worth it, you are better sticking with DVD rips that are done in Divx or Xvid.

12. Cirrinone

Cirrinone Member

On a happier note, DVD Shrink is an incredible prog! Backed up 4 of my dvd's perfect without a failed attempt. I guess I'll just stick to that method instead of d/ling...

13. colw

colw Active member

Sensible move - you never know what quality you are going to get to d/l products and more likely to end up with virus or spyware on your system.

14. colw

colw Active member

Sensible move - you never know what quality you are going to get with d/l products and more likely to end up with virus or spyware on your system.

15. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Yes it is lot easier to back up discs then downloading files and convert.

But you could always invest in a DVD player that plays DIVX/XVID therefore you have no need to rencode.

As for the quality issue well scene groups do the best quality so if downloading look for their versions of a movie as the quality is usually superb.

As for spyware & viruses well i have never got any of this from downloading a groups release, it also helps where you are downloading from though.