1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so I am ready to buy, can you guys (sam) check my stuff

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Theebs, Jul 28, 2008.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's assuming they have 3-pin connectors of course. The NZXT cases I've seen only have Molex connectors on them, so to connect them to the motherboard you'd need to buy adapters.

2. Theebs

Theebs Member

All set guys. Thanks for everyones help. This thing rocks.

I have one problem that is drving me nuts though.

I use a Hauppage wintv 1600 to record OTA HD stuff. The mpeg2 file it generates is odd. The codec basically gives everything problems. I would like to cut the commercials out and just re-encode it to that same codec to make the file size smaller.

The problem is, the nanopeg editer 2.5 uses whatever windows media player has an mpeg 2 decoder. Well I can not get a mpeg 2 codec to work with media player 11 and therefore can only hear the videos with the editor. Audio no video.

It is driving me crazy. I installed the xp decoder check utility but every mpeg2 codec has a red x through it saying it is not compatible with media player 10, even though I have 11 installed. I have installed every codec package imaginable.

No luck though. It really is making me nuts. I am going to record a football game tomorrow and I wanted to be able to record it in HD, cut the commercials and halftime and re-encode. Then compress and burn to disc in sonic dvd. Until I can get the right mpeg2 codec for media player 11 I can not do this.

This is one of the main reasons I built this computer!!!! Any help would be appreciated.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I don't know much about codecs relating to recorded video, but I would avoid solely using windows media player for playback testing, have you tried out CoreAVC with mediaplayerclassic? It's no magic bullet, but it's as close as I've managed to get to one...

4. Theebs

Theebs Member

I have media player classic also.

The problem is that the nanopeg editor uses the codecs installed to windows media player. I always watch stuff in quicktime actually but for this particular program I have no choice.

Getting an mpeg 2 codec to work with media player 11 should be a 5 minute process but for some reason something is making none of them work.

I am not sure if the ati 4850 could be causing something, I doubt it. My other computer I had this installed on was a p4 2.8 with 512 ram and an ati radeon 9700 pro. It worked but I didnt have the memory to go in and edit a 25 gb file!!

anyway. IF anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

5. Theebs

Theebs Member

So I guess I spoke to soon. I am having occasional crashing.

I got this notice after reboot.

Consider BIOS upgrade

Microsoft is unable to determine the exact cause of this error. However, this problem was most likely caused by an error in your computer’s random access memory (RAM). RAM is the main internal storage area the computer uses to run programs and store data.

During the crash analysis, we noticed the basic input/output (BIOS) system version on this computer does not match the specifications for the central processing unit (CPU), also known as a processor, that is installed on your computer. This can occur when a newer processor is installed on an older system board or older BIOS. Using a BIOS that does not support the installed processor can result in Windows system crashes. Contact your computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer for an updated version of BIOS for your computer's processor.

How do I find my computer manufacturer (OEM)?

You can find the name of your computer manufacturer (also known as the original equipment manufacturer or OEM) by following these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type msinfo32, and then click OK. Your computer manufacturer is listed in the right pane of the System Information window.

Click to go online to see contact information for most computer manufacturers

Additional information

Note

Upgrading the BIOS version may require moderate to advanced troubleshooting skills. If you are uncomfortable with performing these steps, you might want to consider consulting with paid technical support.

If your computer contains an Intel processor, you can use special utilities to identify your specific processor. Click the following link to go online for more information:
    Intel Processor Identification Utility

List of BIOS Manufacturers

For a list of BIOS manufacturer websites, see the following two Knowledge Base articles on the Microsoft Support website:

See the article 243909 for a list of BIOS manufacturer websites Part 1 (A-Pi)

See the article 243971 for a list of BIOS manufacturer websites Part 2 (Pr-Z)

So can someone tell me if I need to update my bios or if a setting is just off?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You probably ought to update the BIOS, it's a standard procedure for the EP45 series...

7. Theebs

Theebs Member

I have the ep 35 series.

All i did was install the drivers off the disk.

Do I need to update it still?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hah, you'll have to remind me which CPU you have then, I go through a lot of threads. If it's an E2, E4, E6 or Q6 series chip then no, if it's an E8 or Q9, I'd recommend you update your BIOS.

9. Theebs

Theebs Member

Here you go man...Let me know...Its an intel 9450 quad core.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name
    System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model EP35-DS3R
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2666 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F2, 1/4/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    User Name
    Time Zone Central Daylight Time
    Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 2.73 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    Page File Space 5.09 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Hmm, BIOS update on the P35 is required as well in many cases.

11. Theebs

Theebs Member

Thanks.

Can you tell me exactly what to do..!! Is it just as simple as going to the site and downloading new drivers?

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah. Just download the BIOS and put it on a USB drive. Then just go into qflash when you boot up and just flash it from there.

This is assuming you have a Gigabyte board...

13. Theebs

Theebs Member

Yeah, its the gigabyte ep 35 ds3r.

So go to there site and download the update to a usb drive?

When you say flash is that just putting it in there during the boot up?

I have never updated any of my boards before. I just want to get it right the first time so I dont cause alot of problems.

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

For that processor, I would update the BIOS. For Gigabyte P35 boards it's easy, download the BIOS onto a USB stick, press the End key during the POST screen and then follow the instructions.

15. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yup it's pretty straightforward. It will give you all the instructions. Post back with results or problems.