1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So i rang Samsung today and...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by skater685, Oct 4, 2006.

1. skater685

skater685 Regular member

i got threw to their tech deparment and started explaining to the guy about the samsung plasma i had bought and started asking,why it has terrible graduation with dark colours and why the picture is fuzzy and all jagged edged.he said look,this is just what it looks like,their nothing u can do unless u have a hd signal input.then i told how nice it looked in store,and he said at the store,all the tv's displayed are running off hd inputted signals and therefore look great,but this means,you actually have no idea how well it will perform at home on your sd signal,so i'm lost,with nothing to do but morn...taking all this into account,i live in new zealand,we only have one digital tv services,called SKY TV,it uses satelittes etc,but the thing is,they have no plans of having hd channels till late 2008/early 2009...

2. bpitt

bpitt Member

This is commonly known. If you don't have an HD signal going into your HDTV then all the tv will do is enhance the Standard signal so that it looks even worse.

Why buy an HDTV if you don't have HD service? If the answer is because you wanted a flat panel tv then you could have still got one but not an HD one. You should have bought a EDTV (Enhanced Definition TV). That way you would have a flat panel tv and a good picture.

3. skater685

skater685 Regular member

I bought it for my xbox 360,but I had no idea that tv channels would look so bad!

4. skater685

skater685 Regular member

if you can give me a link to a site where i can load up a picture without having to make an account,i'll put a picture up of the tv running?

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

try www.photobucket.com or imageshack

6. skater685

skater685 Regular member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  7. skater685

skater685 Regular member

the tv looks worse than in that picture,i can garuntee you that

8. barricade

barricade Guest

My brother has a samsung plasma too, 42" . When watching TV in non HD, his also looks like complete crap. The quality is very grainy, and it seems it is very pixelated. However, when it's receiving HD signals, it looks great. His 360 looks beautiful on it. Does your TV look normal with your xbox and/or DVD player?

9. ricetrack

ricetrack Regular member

same problem here... forced to get dishnetwork! its not that bad though, i love the programming.

10. skater685

skater685 Regular member

my dvd player looks just as bad as the the sky channels(also what doesnt help is that my decoder does not have any component out,so i have to use normal cable..)(people get confused when i tell them,i think i should put a picture up of the back of the decoder),my dvd player is running with av cables,not component,but i don't care,since i only watch like 3 dvd's a month,and i just watch it on my 360 anyway which has component,but my 360 looks amzing on the tv,i'll put the picture up..

my tv running the 360

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5761/saintsrowvy9.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  11. bpitt

bpitt Member

That sounds strange that your dvds don't look good. They should look great if you are using your 360 with component cables.

When you say your decoder is hooked up with normal cable do you mean the yellow, red and white AV cable or do you mean regular cable from the company with the twist on ends?

12. skater685

skater685 Regular member

No,what i said was that my dvd player uses av,so the picture quality is bad,but i don't watch movies on it,i use my 360,in which the picture quality is much better.Secondly,i don't how to explain the back of the decoder,i think i should just put a picture up

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8977/pic0003ci0.jpg

the white cable on the left says: "Dish Input"
    the black cable on the right says:"RF IN"
    and the black cable in the middle says: "RF OUT"

the white one and the black one on the far right is running from my wall(which connects to the sattelite dish)and then the black cable is running into my tv.it says: ANT IN

I hope this explains everything,the whole setup...

13. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

The pictures on your HDTV look washed out. Have you done any calibration yet?

14. skater685

skater685 Regular member

Remeber the signal is standard defintion.
    and it's susing coaxial cable,i know i could get a better image,the my damn deocder does not have any other outputs...

what is calibration?

15. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

If you have a THX DVD (one of the Disney titles or one of the Star Wars movies) you should see the THX Optimizer in the menu somewhere. Run it and it will take you through calibrating or making adjustments on your display for otpimum performance.

16. skater685

skater685 Regular member

oh ok..mm i don't think i'm gonna go buy a thx dvd player and star wars(argg)

17. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

That's why I would never buy one. I'll wait till it becomes standardized. Not only that, by the time it becomes standardized, their will be better models out and will be affordable as well.

Nice TV skater685.

18. skater685

skater685 Regular member

19. bpitt

bpitt Member

Dude, I was just on the website for SkyTV and they do have high definition and a box with HDMI output. I don't know where you got your info from but you should contact SkyTv and tell them you want HD.

20. bpitt

bpitt Member