1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So many formats... Which is the least used ?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by DavidJ01, Nov 21, 2004.

1. DavidJ01

DavidJ01 Member

As I'm reading through some of these threads I'm getting a little lost and am thinking it may be easier to decide what I can do without instead of trying to decide what I need...

For example, I thought I needed a player that supported VCD, or SVCD, but it seems like thats a European format that a user who only has basic basic needs here in the US may not need, right ?

And it seems like the majority of the burners and players out there are geared to the DVD- format and not the DVD+ format. So maybe the +/- is similar to the Beta/VHS wars where the DVD- is going to win?

So, for things like picture slide shows, home movies, maybe backing up DVD's, playing MP3's and/or homemade audio CD's, can I ignore the items mentioned above?

Thanks,

David...

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey DavidJ01, I am not sure of your post. Are wanting a dvd player that will play most of those formats or all of them ? If its a stand alone, I got the sony dvp-ns325. Here's a list of what I know it will play dvd+r,dvd+rw,cd,cd-r,cd-rw,videocd,dvd region1. Those are the ones I use. It says it will also play dvd-r,-rw,mp3,ntsc. It says it can't play:pal,secam,hd layer on super audio cds,dvd-roms,cd-roms,mp3 format conforming to ISO9660 level1/level2/joliet,dvd other than region1. This player will play everything I throw in it off my pc whether it is dvd or cd burning. I haven't got any dvd-r/rw to try in it. That is why I bought it. To play all my backups.It suits my needs for now!If you want the definitions of those formats, just repost. Have a happy turkey day<Gobble,Gobble>

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Hmm this has been asked a few times
    Quote:
    And it seems like the majority of the burners and players out there are geared to the DVD- format and not the DVD+ format. So maybe the +/- is similar to the Beta/VHS wars where the DVD- is going to win?

I would doubt very much that either the dash or plus format will disappear. If you get a multi format burner & player you should be futureproof.
    I have found that the plus format has higher burning speeds. In the old days some players had problems with the plus format & the dash format was more compatible. This would appear to now have been resolved. I would do a bit of research on players. i have a Pioneer 545s player & a Toshiba 330 player. Both are multi-format & multi-region.
    I have had no compatibilty issues with either.