1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So...my XBOX DVD Drive has died (error 11)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by kevmit, Mar 4, 2007.

1. kevmit

kevmit Guest

I opened it up and made sure it was all connected right (which it is), yet still I get error 11 on bootup.

I have an unused DVD drive hooked upto my PC...would that work with my XBOX? or will I have to get a specific one that works with the XBOX?

Either way and tips or advice on this would be great.

I don't know why it happened, the last thing I used in the DVD drive was a VCD which I watched through XBMC. That played fine, but when I turned it off and turned on the next day, I don't get past the system error screen.

2. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

yes you are right, i would just go on ebay, there are 3 different drives you can choose from, there is a samsung(most expensive, but very good drive), phillips, a little less expensive but still a good drive) and then a thompson(the cheapest, but still does the job), ranging from all 3 you are looking anywhere in between 35.00 and 70.00, and don't worry about installation, all dvd drives are interchangeable and plug and play(take old one out, and put new one in, it is that easy), hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  3. kevmit

kevmit Guest

So should I go for one of those Samsung ones mentioned in this topic?

...and do I have to flash it with any firmware or is it truly as you said "plug n play".

I just had a quick look on eBay to see if I can find the 616F or 616T with no luck, it seems that topic is now 2 years old so no doubt they shouldn't be too expensive but they're hard to find, I just hope that those models aren't too hard to find in the UK (where I'm at).

Can you list the models I want to be looking at? or link me to a topic?
    Thanks

4. kevmit

kevmit Guest

Right...as weird as it sounds, my XBOX fixed itself last time. I left it off about 24hours after giving up on it. Then just out of the blue turned it back on to find out it worked...and have had no problems since, until now.

It has been not turning on for the past 2 days. Just goes to Error 11 on startup and the red ring of death etc.

...Anyway, for the time being I'm going to borrow a friends xbox dvd drive as he never plays on his...but I now want to buy a new drive.
    I'm in the UK and just want a decent XBOX dvd drive. Can anyone point me into the direction of drives that are still easily available nowadays that I could get for my XBOX?
    Most of the topics I remember getting pointing too last time this topic was in use were links to outdated drives that are now discontinued and rare to get hold of. Surely there must be modern drives about that I can buy to replace the one I have now with.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

5. kevmit

kevmit Guest

Can anyone help?
    I'd really appreciate some.

6. DrShadow

DrShadow Member

7. kevmit

kevmit Guest

Their are no options to buy it. Back in it's prime there would've been, but now theres nothing...not even on eBay UK.

Thats what I'm talking about though, what drive would people of today buy if there XBOX needed a replacement? The scene seems to of faded a lot due to the XBOX360 (obviously), but still...

8. DrShadow

DrShadow Member

Personally, I'd buy ANY DVD drive at the moment. Trouble is

a.) No money. Yeah... Always a problem...
    b.) Insufficient detail on the way the DVD Drive is powered, because the DVD Drives people normally buy are for computers, with a 4-pin power supply cable thing, the Xbox uses a 12 pin one >_<
    c.) I actually HAVE a spare DVD Drive which is really good, but I don't know if there's a way to make it run on a 4-pin power cable in the Xbox

9. Ben187

Ben187 Member

Ok, first thing is that the xbox DVD Drive has a special firware. The reason you can use those 2 particular PC drives is because some nice person out there hacked up a modded firmware for you to flash to your drive, and then wrote instructions on how to use a Y Molex power splitter to run it off the normal power.

If you can find any of the PC ones (Only those 2 models, no other ones will work in the Xbox) they're your best choice. They read everything perfectly.

Going from there onwards, you're next choices should be (in this order):
    Samsung
    Phillips
    Thompson

If you can't find a DVD drive for sale on ebay, look for faulty consoles. I bought a Samsung drive, with the rest of a broken xbox for $25 AUD.

Good luck.

10. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

There is no need to get a dvd drive yet. I've been talking about this throughout the forums. You'll need to do POT tweaking so that the drive can read discs again. Eventually you'll need to salvage another drive this only delays the need of getting another.

POT Tweaking
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/409908

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Pot Tweak won't help an Error 11!

Firstly, I'll bet any money that you have a Phillips!? Piece of junk!

DO NOT BUY A PHILLIPS!!!

Ok, with that out of the way, you have heaps of options. Firstly, you could try and buy a another Xbox drive. Secondly, you could buy a PC drive that you can flash (Don't bother). The third and only ooption I'd look at is to buy an entire broken console from eBay that does not have a DVD drive issue. The you steal the DVD from that and have the rest as spares in case something else goes wrong...!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICROSOFT-XBO...3QQihZ011QQcategoryZ20387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XBOX-CONSOLE-...8QQihZ010QQcategoryZ20387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's heaps more, just have a search...

12. GamerBot

GamerBot Member

Here's a repair guide that worked for me...

See : http://3rdredlightfix.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps..

ZG-Bot

13. DrShadow

DrShadow Member

Omg I forgot about this thread xD

That's only for Xbox 360's though )= I want my original Xbox to work ><

14. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Did you still not get it going?

Broken Xboxs are cheap as hell on eBay at the moment

15. DrShadow

DrShadow Member

*points above at the no moeny comment*

16. PASFALCON

PASFALCON Member

The drive on my xbox also broke but i had no idea what I was doing or how i was going to fix it. Looking around google i found that drives where expensive and just the fact that i had no clue how to install it didn't help. As I was surfing yahoo I found a site in a forum about 360s and figured to look into it. The site was www.videogame911.com and other posters said that they had excellent xbox and 360 repair service. They handle all types of systems and ended up getting my xbox back to me very quick. I have had no problems with my drive since and they have done all my other video game repair needs. I will post again if there any other problems.