1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SO new at this and need HELP burning ANYTHING

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Kfanella, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Kfanella

Kfanella Member

I don't even know where to start but here goes. I bought a Sony DVD burner that says I can burn pretty much anything on it. It came with Nero which I installed. I bought a bunch of DVD-R's and was told again, that I could burn CD's and DVD's, but they weren't rewritable, which is fine with me.
    I have yet to be able to burn a damn thing. Nothing. Same message or variation thereof, "wrong disk type". I tried to burn a movie that I got from Limewire and it did all kinds of business for a few hours, then the disc popped out and said that it couldn't finish. I WAS able to burn two short clips, but nothing since then and they came out terribly.
    Am I missing something EASY?? This should not be so difficult! I also tried using Media player to burn a disk and couldn't do it from there either. I've looked for help before and got all kinds of tech-talk and got yelled out for not knowing anything. I'm a burning newbie, not pc newbie so some tech is good, too much and I get lost. Any help out there????

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

sure..... here ya go:
    Newbie Guides

and here is more:
    Newbie help FAQs and more

and more help with media:
    Media Guide

and read about your burner:
    DVD Writer List
    just put your model # in the search field and read all about what your burner can do and also read comments from fellow owners of the same burner!

check to see if your burner needs a firmware update:
    The Firmware Page
    make sure your burner has the latest firmware update! Firmware is programming that is inserted into a programmable memory area of your drive, thus becoming a permanent part of a drive. This 'software' is called firmware and can be updated with a firmware flasher. A firmware upgrade can add new functionality to your drive. Also bug fixes and improvements are done by firmware upgrades. It also adds more media codes and write strategies to the drive to improve burning capabilities and disk recognition.

you got a lot of reading to do..... but it's all well worth it! enjoy and happy burning!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  3. Kfanella

Kfanella Member

I haven't looked yet, but are they in English??? :)

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

yes!

5. Kfanella

Kfanella Member

OK, I think I did everything right, but when I used Nero Vision 4 to "author" and then burn the DVD, well, it's been burning to disc ALL NIGHT LONG (Well over ten hours now) and there is no change in status. is this normal? And wht the heck is autoring anyway? It loos the same as what you do before you burn?

6. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

authoring is just doing the movie only. no menu no extra's just movie...
    you might want to check and see if your drive slipped into PIO mode... they should be in DMA mode.

right click on my computer
    click properties
    click on hardware
    click device manager
    click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    right click Primart IDE channel
    click properties
    click advanced settings
    you should see
    transfer mode=DMA is available
    current transfer mode=ultra DMA mode 5(thats what my system is at)
    if thats correct click ok then do the same thing to the Secondary IDE channel..

hope this help out.

7. Kfanella

Kfanella Member

Thanks so much!! I'll try it when I get back home. Had to come to work to pay for all the coasters I've been making!

8. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

oh yea how rude of me...lol
    welcome to AD.. stick around and you will learn alot here.. there is alot of knowledgable people here in every aspect of the game. they/we are more than willing to help out

9. Kfanella

Kfanella Member

Thanks so much, I feel like such a LOSER!! The setting that you were talking about...WHAT exactly is it that I'm changing and why? (I'm an Analyst professionaly, I need to know WHY!)

10. consul

consul Regular member

without confusing things i have now given up on Nero with all but Bin and Cue files . It just seems to be going the way of Nortons and getting too bloated. ConvertXtoDVD was recommended to me and have not had coasters since. Fantastic if you use drag and drop it will just fit to disc anything you put in
    also as said before check updates on burner firmware and make sure DMA mode is enabled

Have a read here

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I know that Nero is a pain in the A** because of the many updates and versions.... but I use a stable version of Nero and it works great. Stable version of Nero 6 is 6.6.0.18
    stable version of Nero 7 is 7.5.9.0
    those versions are the ones to get! I don't use Nero much.... but I do use it and they do have good programs that do many things. It's worth having.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

i jujst cut and pasted this.. it tells you what DMA is. basicly it is the transfer of information the higher the DMA the better transfer rate you get... im not a expert in this area but i do understand what it does and needs to do. if your not running in DMA mode your in PIO mode and thats the slowest transfer rate there is...

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

This means it's an "OEM" version which may be missing a bunch of applications...
    For a beginner trying to burn downloaded movies, ConvertXtoDVD is about as easy and trouble free as it gets. Try the trial and see if you like it.

We have all been there. Keep trying and it will get easier. I promise. You won't get yelled at here by the way.

Don't use Media Player to burn videos.

Use good media in your Sony burner. That will save you from lots of headaches. try Taiyo Yuden, Maxell (made in Japan) Verbatim, Sony (made in japan) or TDK discs.
    A nice list can be found here:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Set your burn speed to 1/2 the rated speed of the media. Try faster speeds later.

Authoring is what you do when you add the menu and anything else to your video.
    Here is an article that explains how it all works if using a video from a camcorder, your process is very similar.

14. Kfanella

Kfanella Member

You guys are all SO amazing. I have learned more in the past few days than I have in a week of Googling!!!

15. Kfanella

Kfanella Member

Will this DIVx business burn mpegs? Or do I need to do something to the files before I burn them?

16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

If you are referring to ConvertXtoDVD, yes it can. ConvertX takes video files of various formats and converts them into DVD-Video compliant files (which is what your DVD player needs to be able to play them).

[​IMG]

Once converted you can then burn them.

17. Kfanella

Kfanella Member

You rock so hard.

18. Kfanella

Kfanella Member

All the DMA settings (Is that the right way to say it??:))were OK and still NOTHING happened in 20 hours, so I aborted and tried ConvertX and it worked great. Ugh.

19. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Now you know why we recommend it!