1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soccer

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Oriphus, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carefree

carefree Member

football is a game of opinions i guees but my mate is a celtic seoson ticket holder for some years now and he also agree's with me, as he says the celtic fans arnt complaining bout the sucees hes brought the love him for it but the 1 downside is tehy dont play football the celtic way they always had good fotty playing teams and trust me if uv watched all there games in europe and week in week out here u would notice it,but i suppose i would rather look bad and win than look good and lose which is what happened to celtic for years against rangers.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Very true on both points, looking bad and winning and football being a game of opinions. Is everyone looking forward to the Champions League and then Euro 2004. Euro 2004 starts on June 12th and finishes with the final on July 4th. Im looking forward to football every single day, twice a day lol. What fun is in store to us. Its rare to feel to withdrawn from soccer these days every 2 years when there is a world cup of European Cup to contest...

Actually one thing i am confused about is the Vodaphone Cup being played at the start of August. Arowa (or something like that) playing United and then United playing PSV 2 days later. The only other team in the tournament is Boac Juniors. I cant understand why Boca are not playing United, it would seem ideal since they beat United in the Club World Cup in 2000....

The other thing is that i know that United have a pre-season tour in America organised, though i dont know who the teams they will be playing are. Does anyone know? Actually - i've just found out:

"It's a return trip for the world's elite soccer teams - Some of the world's best soccer clubs are making a return trip to North America this summer as part of the ChampionsWorld Series 2004 of exhibition matches. Manchester United and seven other world-class clubs including Celtic, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Liverpool, AS Roma and AC Milan will play matches in the United States and Canada as part of the summer ChamptionsWorld Series. Comes see the world's champion soccer players at work!"

Sat, 24 Jul 2004 1:00 PM - Celtic FC vs. Chelsea Blues (Seahawk Stadium - Seattle, Washington)

Sun, 25 Jul 2004 3:00 PM - Manchester United vs. Bayern Munich (Soldier Field - Chicago, Illinois)

Mon, 26 Jul 2004 8:00 PM - Celtic FC vs. Liverpool Reds (Rentschler Field - East Hartford, Connecticut)

Wed, 28 Jul 2004 8:00 PM - Manchester United vs. Celtic FC (Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

Thu, 29 Jul 2004 8:00 PM - Chelsea Blues vs. AS Roma (Heinz Field - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 1:00 PM - Manchester United vs. AC Milan (Giants Stadium - East Rutherford, New Jersey)

Sat, 31 Jul 2004 8:00 PM - Celtic FC vs. AS Roma (Skydome - Toronto, Ontario)

Mon, 2 Aug 2004 8:00 PM - Chelsea Blues vs. AC Milan (Lincoln Financial Field - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

Tue, 3 Aug 2004 8:00 PM - AS Roma vs. Liverpool Reds (Giants Stadium - East Rutherford, New Jersey)

What a feast for America and Canada - Soccer is picking up in the US and i think everytime these big clubs come back, they get more and more fans each time. United doubled their North America shirt sales just after their last tour. Most likely, United will be the most supported team there, maybe Celtic will have a lot of fans there too, but it should be a great experience for the other teams. These are some of the elite teams in Europe coming over to play.

3. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

Unbelievable, for the first time in 50 years, liverpool have sacked there manager, something i didn't expect to happen to Houllier, not that im saying he didn't deserve it :p Be interesting to see who takes over at the helm. Martin O'Neil looks like a very like candidate.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, was reading about it earlier. Its kind of sad that liverpool is now like a lot of premiership teams, ie: sacking managers. I didnt expect them to sackhim, it wouldve been better had he stepped down instead.

5. brian100

brian100 Guest

Shame about Houllier, one of the very fe Liverpool managers to get sacked. God, ive just had this awful thought, he's on his way to Tottenham. I can almost hear the pitter patter of 2nd rate french footballers boarding the ferry at Calais to join The Spurs..perhaps it's all a horrile nightmare.

It's gotta be O'Neil for Liverpool, theyd be nuts not to offer him the position, and I reckon he would be very tempted to take up the offer.

Oriphus, beware.....The Scousers are on the march!!. I can hear your knees knocking as I type....

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - my knees are well knocking. Looks like we might be getting Alan Smith and Wayne Rooney. Hope we get a midfielder of top calibre and a defender as well.

Have a look at the new Arsenal Stadium to be built. pretty cool looking:

[​IMG]

7. brian100

brian100 Guest

The stadium looks pretty swish...far too good for the gooners...id stick em all in a field and...well id best not say what id do with em.

Rooney for United?...where did you here that?...Id be surprised if he left Everton. He would cost a fortune, the money would be best spent on a defender & a midfielder as you mentioned. The thing is though,which ones to go for...it really is a shame you never landed Ronaldinho at the beginning of the season..

8. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

Rooney and smith both for united?? geez don't they have enought strikers, considering they usually only play with one on the field??

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah Ronney and Smith is what Skysports news was reporting and the ITV 10 O'Clock news mentioned it as well. Im not sure how much money Rooney will cost, most likely too much for a youngster, if he's more than Ronaldo i wouldnt pay it for him. As you say we have plenty of strikers, though apparently its Bye Bye to Forlan this summer. United like to have foour strikers at the club usually. We had the Cole/York Sherringham/Solskjaer partnerships at United in the past, both sets very successful.

Ronaldinho is probably the best footballer in the world at the minute. Our season would have been completely different had we had landed him in January. What i sometimes wonder about is whethere he decided that maybe playing under Sir Alex was not what he wanted. Alex Ferguson falls out with a load of players and we all know about Ronaldinho's extravagent life outside of football.....that would maybe have clashed with Sir Alex. The other reason he didnt want to come may have been to do with the climate. There are a lot of footballers, expecially ones from Spain, Portugal, France, Brazil, Argentina etc.. that dont like the premiership, merely because it gets to cold for them. Its understandable if you come from a warm climate - thats why a lot of South Americans end up in Spain La Liga.

Chelsea look like they have landed a good deal, no doubt expensive and there are better all-out defenders, but as an attacking defender, he is very good. Oh...and we cant forget the power in that left boot lol:

Also - Edgar Davids has said that he has an offer from a Leading Premiership club in England. Since he will be on a free Transfer there will be a lot of clubs eager to sign the midfielder. It would be a great buy for United in my opinion, as i feel that he and Ronaldinho are the two that injected life into the dying Barcelona. Come to United Edgar....come to United :)

Rudd Van The Man Nistelrooy aint happy with Arsene Wenger lol:
    Oh....found a report on Rooney thats more up-to-date apparently:

I would be soooooo disappointed if Ole Gunner Solskjaer left the club. he's my favourite player and i get his name and number on all my shirts. Stay Ole....we all love you ;-)

10. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

That and the language barrier. For many South Americans, most speak spanish, or portuguese, or something similar, so its much easier for them in settle down in spain than england.

11. carefree

carefree Member

yeah roberto carlos would be a god for us altho its other areas in the team that need strentening first like right back and right midfeid and a top class striker with pace(something chelsea has been lacking for few seasons) also wayne brige was consestitly 1 of our best players last year so dont no if we realy need a left back.

it looks like were just sighning people on name rather than fitting them in a team but mustn grumble suppose ,hehe

That tourni oriphus u detailed out there is there a final at the end or just bunch of freindlys as with half ma family and freinds beighn celtic fans i would love a celtic v chelsea game.

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Its a bunch of friendlies - no semi or final. It should be great to watch...im really looking forward to it.

Unfortunately Porto won tonight, i was looking forward to Monaco winning and Fernando Morientes signing off in style for them - what a player he has been. Real Madrid have their heads stuck somewhere up their arses to sell someone of such talent when they are undoubtledly fucked in their own campaigns. I guess Chelsea will add his name to the list they have (Lets see how many players we can buy list) lol.

And....do Chelsea have a new manager - all will be revealed on Friday i believe - i hope not as a fan of football as a whole, i see it as grossly unfair to sack a man that has brought Chelsea to its best position since 1950 something. What an idiot Kenyan and Roman will be if they do. Go on Claudio.....we (the footballing world) love you ;-)

13. Maryela3

Maryela3 Guest

I personately love soccer i play with my school team though i been kicked out because those damn grades but anyways
    Orphius you seen to know a lot about soccer have heard about the Toyota Libertadores Championship and since youre becoming hispanic do you have any interest on the American Soccer Leagues
    I mexican and i see a lot of the Spain soccer
    Im a proud follower of The Barcelona and my favorite soccer players are Ronaldo and Beckham o my God why do they have to be so damn hot!!
    Anyways DO ANYBODY HAS ANY INTEREST IN THE AMERICAN SOCCER CHAMPIONSHIPS?
    i know they are crap compared to the Europe ones but lets change a little bit your all always writing and posting about European cups and stuff which i dont know shit about them
    Dont you think it will be kinda nice to write about other teams?
    Thanks Maria

14. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

Chelsea can have any player or manager they want.

Morientes was without a doubt the best player in this years champions league.

Mourinho was one of the best managers of the season.

If Chelsea add these two to their ever expanding club, they will be serious contenders.

Kluivert again would be a worthy addition having recently expressed a desire to play in the premiership and being released by Barcelona.

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Sabrelord - i agree with Morientes being the best player in teh Champions League this season, though Deco is a bit of star as well. Also, i think Mourinho was an excellent manager, but as always with a good win, there was luck on their way to it...:-D

Chelsea look to really strengthen their squad this year. They will be the toughest team to beat in the coming season no doubt, but i feel that we shall do it. Roy Keane had a good performance for Ireland today, shows that he is easily one of the top 3 players for Ireland. What a change he made to the team. He nearly scored a cracker and set-up Clinton Morrison for an easy goal which he somehow missed from 2 feet of the line???

I know a lot about American and South American soccer teams. Im not just a European soccer fan, i love the Argentinian Leauge and the Brazilian League. I also follow the Mexican League most weeks.

Since you are from Mexico, we can talk about the Mexican League. I like Club America, Club Santos Laguna (mainly cuz their shirt looks like the Scottish team celtics lol) and Cruz Azul. It is an excellent attacking league, but unfortunately i dont have a live feed to watch the games, i only get to see Argentina and Brazils league matches. I love the Meican National Stadium (Azteca)which holds a massive 106,000 people - what an atmosphere that would be.

My real passion is with River Plater in Argentina. Im am a huge fan of them and have 3 of their football kits lol. Currently, after 15 games, we are sitting in 1st position, 2 points ahead of the hated Boca Juniors ;-) This year i am sure we are going to win. ON saturday we are playing Racing Club at 7.10pm UK time. Looking forward to it. Its great the way that the American and South American leagues are always played at different times so that i never miss football, theres always some on each day :-D

So Maryela, if you have a team in the Argentina, Brazilian or Mexico premier leagues, then we can discuss that all the time because id be more than happy to talk about football form every country. I support a team in loads of countries, lol - ill list them:

England: Manchester United
    Scotland: Celtic
    Italy: Juventus (poor season for us)
    Spain: Real Betis
    Holland: Ajax
    Brazil: Sao Paulo (though i do like Corinthians to lol)
    Mexico: Cruz Azul
    Argentina: River Plate

Semi Support:
    Germany: Bayern Munich
    USA: Metrostars
    South Africa: Kaizer Chiefs
    France: Auxiere (though i dont really like French football)
    Ireland: UCD (played against their B-side)
    Portugal: Sporting Lisbon

Thats them all - so if you Maryela or anyone else wants to talk about any of those teams or any teams in any of those leagues, i know a lot about most of them. :-D

Chris

16. brian100

brian100 Guest

God almighty Roberto Carlos for Chelsea?. If I were Wayne Bridge i'd be mighty pissed off with that situation (considering he was, probably, Chelsea's most consisitent performer this season) I cant wait to see carlos get some chinks knocked outta him next year, should be a reet larf.

Ditto here, there is a fantastic wealth of talent in both those leagues, shame SKY can't get some telly rights for em. Years ago The Argy league was on a channel called "Screensport"

I will insert my size 9 boots into myself is Edgar Davids ever plays for Tottenham, although I must admit he would be IDEAL to rejuvinate an obviously pathetic midfield

Maryela3 :-

If the US ever decided to really take coccer seriously, it would be probably be a case of "watch out world". At the moment i will gloat in the glory of the European Leagues.

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, but as Frank Lampard said, Roberto Carlos is going to have a hard time getting Wayne Bridges starting position. If you look at the statistics, Wayne Bridge is a better out-and-out defender than Carlos, though Carlos is better on the attack.

Yeah, a lot of the talent from Argentina and Brazil, and a lesser extent Mexico, head to Europe to the big money clubs. Im just hoping that D'Alessandro will stay at RIver Plate. Saviola was a River Plater star striker. Was watching the Boca Juniors match last night on River plater in the Americas CHampions League. They are now through to the semi final to play River PLate i think lol.

You can see Brazilian and Argentina matches on channels 4 and 5, and on Santana on Sky as well.

18. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

19. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Do you enjoy watching soccer more or playing soccer more? And can we please call it football? Because really, that's the proper name for it =P

20. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah - we can call it football ;-) thats what i call it. I prefer to play it, just in after nearly 3 hours of it there. Id play every day if i could but unfortunately i cant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.