1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soccer

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Oriphus, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah....I used to support Germany in the good days with players like Sammer and Klinsman, but of recent years, the new crops have just not compared to the Yesteryear type of football i enjoyed.

Portugal won and England are out. I think Portugal deserved it, they were the far better team throughout the whole match. I think Beckham was unlucky to miss the penalty, and it was a poor penalty spot, but thats no excuse. I also think that Englands goal at the end of normal time was right to be disallowed. Any contact with a keeper at all always results in the freekick being given. Why should it be any different now? Clearly, from the referee's perspective, Terry's arm is leaning on Ricardo. No matter how much contact he makes, it is still a possible hinderance on the keeper and may have prevented him from gettin air-born. it happens all the time in the Premiership and other European leagues, and is one of the rules that applies to both sides so i see no arguments.

Well done to Portugal, commiseration to England. No doubt there will be some trouble tonight, there was some already in the crowd in the stadium when Portugal went 2-1 up.

2. brian100

brian100 Guest

England out, Im not really surprised. We just did not "give it a go" It was a carbon copy of the French game. Score first, then sit back & hope. Let's hope the Spanish, Italians, Germans & English learn a lesson.

England had no "outlet" after Rooney went off. How Ericsson must have wished he had a Defoe or an Alan Smith to come on as replacement. Both those players can hold up play & wait for midfield support. Constantly searching for the "killer pass" (IE a 50 year "hoof" upfield) just does not work in International football.

Amazing that Stephen Gerrard should be taken off & Bekham left on, an amazing decision, probably by a manager exhibiting "blind loyalty".

All of England can complain about the disallowed "goal" but the fact is, we just did not deserve it. If it had been a Portuguese player scoring a goal like that everyone would have shouted foul.

At least I can now sit back & enjoy the rest of the tournament. Come on Holland...

Oriphus

The VAST majority of all DECENT England supporters behaved impeccably during this tournament. It is a shame that you had to bring this subject up, very dissapointed in you "mate".

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]On Initial Viewing My Backup Looked Terrible,
    But With One Eye Closed It Aint Half Bad!![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2004
  3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Im not talking about the vast majority of Decent English fans (98%) of them. Im talking about the 2% wankers who ruin the good name of English football for the rest of us. Like the guy who was getting dragged out of the crowd during the match with his shirt. You cant hide the fact the around the world, the English fans are renowned for being rowdy and cause trouble. They've done it already this tournament. They may not be true fans, and they also do not represent the real fans, but the fact remains that it happens, they are English, and they do it all the time. That was my point - very fair if you think about it

4. brian100

brian100 Guest

Sorry oriphus but I just thought it was a totally LAME statement to make.

The English have a drinking culture when abroad and that's the cause of all the problems. Englands fan disciplinary record over the last few international tournamants has improved significantly, let's hope the trend continues, but alas there will be isolated innidents in the future.

let's hope the England supporter who was cowardly stabbed by a Russian "Supporter" makes a full recovery.

5. SEGAbhoy

SEGAbhoy Guest

It was a ukranian supporter actally

6. brian100

brian100 Guest

Thanks SEGAboy for correcting my mistake. Apologies to all of those I offended.

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Wow that was great lastnight. I live in Toronto as some may know and the horns, chears and illegal fireworks didn`t stop until after Midnight and it was pouring rain like crazy. I obviously live in the Portugese/ Little Italy area of Toronto. It was funny to see police officers all over College street, to stop any problems. like the pickup truck full of 10 people that all jumped out and ran up stoping every car.
    Fun it was like a grave yard with Italy was kicked. I wonder why 8'O

If grease wins tonight it will be a miracle. But if they do I am glad I don't live in the Danforth.

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Oh my god, I saw a Mirracle.

I can not believe Grease won!!! I will being here that one all night as well. I have to get to one of Danforth parties now. That is amazing, I bet the kids in Quebec are really pissed.

France is out, I am still in shock.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Its amazing isnt it. Go on the Greece lol - all the big teams are not performing at all these days. I think its great that the underated teams are performing and winning. I said ages ago a Holland v Czech final would be quality and we look like we may get it :D

10. Maryela3

Maryela3 Guest

time for Czech to win somethin
    a and by the way Copa America is coming up i hope you see it its going to be great
    Brazil, Peru, Mexico, Uriguay, Paraguay, Colombia, Argentina etc etc this july 6
    Maria

11. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

Euro 2004 Who's in your dream team?

Mine is as follows:

GOAL KEEPER E Van Der Sar
    DEFENCE A Cole
    DEFENCE Sol Campbell
    DEFENCE J Stam
    DEFENCE G Neville
    MIDFIELD P Nedved
    MIDFIELD Z Zidane
    MIDFIELD C Ronaldo
    FORWARD W Rooney
    FORWARD M Baros
    FORWARD R Van Nistlerooy

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

So Portigal is at the final. We will have to see if an other miricle occurs and Grease wins to Czech. Otherwise I am gueesing a Portigal vs Czech final.

I think Czech just might take it, if not making it, then Grease might just go all the way.

13. ERA2000

ERA2000 Regular member

Greece is going to the finals baby!!
    I cant believe it all these years and finally some success.

14. SabreLord

SabreLord Guest

The final game at Euro 2004 is identical to the opening game.

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Sorry guys, been working hard, not much time for internet. Yeah, its the first time in a major championship that the teams that play the opening match have made it to the final. I think it will be a victory for Portugal though. Congrats on Greece getting to the final. Gotta head to bed now, up at 7.30am every morning and not home till about 7.00pm every evening. Ah well, i was a bum for a year, so i cant complain lol - the life of a student :-D

16. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I don't know, Grease beat Portigal 2 to 1. If Portigal has learned anything they might win, but Grease is on a winning streak, they may just take it.

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

They certainly were on a winning streak and win they did. Excellent performance by Portugal though, and Ronaldo. Well done to Greece who no one tipped to go all the way. Well, no one except the man on sky sports who put £1,000 on them to win at 250:1 and got a nice £250,000 + his £1,000 back

Lucky bastard

18. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Wow thats good money. I just thought it was cheap that the exact same cut and paste goal that they did to Czech, is what won them yesturday. I guess it shows you, don`t touch the ball. Act really defensively, and score headers on the corner kick.

But with only one loss against Russia, Grease is the best.

19. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol Grease :-D

Greece it is :D
    Yeah, they had a good defensive record, but are they really the best team in Europe? Im not so sure. They played vert Italian football during their campaign, not a very good type for us football lovers as the chances are few and far between. However, they deserve the credit and have done well. Whether or not they could be the current Manchester United squad, well.....i dont think they could ;-)

20. The_Bhoy

The_Bhoy Guest

Does that mean that the kids in the rest of Canada were pissed off when England went out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.