1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soft-Mod Tutorial: How to play backups with only SD Media Launcher + Extra Info

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by Kenohki, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Bubba101

Bubba101 Member

I can't download off the freaking stupid yourfilehost.com!!! its some dumb chinese site that a 5 year old made because he did not know how to make a download link!!! OMG PLEEEEEASE CHANGE IT TO MEGAUPLOAD OR HAVE A MIRROR TO MEGAUPLOAD I'M DESPERATE!!!
    P.S.
    Don't tell me I wasted 40 bucks on a piece of crap...

2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

3. Bubba101

Bubba101 Member

thanks so much!!

4. Bubba101

Bubba101 Member

new problem i booted it but it wont read... I dont have a modchip... do I need one?

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Do you get an error message like "Press B to retry boot"? I get this message on one of the GameCubes I've tried the mod on. Another one works perfectly. It depends on the laser on the system. You might need to adjust it. Let me know if you need help on laser adjustments.

6. Bubba101

Bubba101 Member

YES please! It always says "Disc read error". And there's something else, everytime I boot an original game, it always has a continuous whirring sound, kinda like an airplane taking off? But when i put in the backups its so quiet, I need to strain my ears to hear. Oh by the way do I need anything special for the laser adjustment? Tools? Skills? and will it break my gamecube? o_O

EDIT:
    My gamecube is Dol-101 if you're wondering. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  7. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

You'll need a Gamebit to open the gamecube since it doesn't use normal screws. You'll also need a multimeter to read out the value of the laser. It can be done without it though by guessing.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/915781/30525
    That's a guide on how to do it. I couldn't find any with pictures. If I order a gamebit for my GC I'll make a tutorial but don't count on it anytime soon. I'm too busy to make a tutorial.

8. Bubba101

Bubba101 Member

Any other ways? :O im not keen on spending more money...

9. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

You could try to clean the laser with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip but usually you need to open the system. Unless you can find another way to open the system without the tool you'll need to spend money.

10. Bubba101

Bubba101 Member

Ah well, I'll wait for when I'm non-broke. Thanks for all your help :)

11. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

12. SuperKnux

SuperKnux Member

It works only on 4.0 or after.

13. fp94

fp94 Member

Hi Guys, I've been watching this method for a while but only just orderd my SDML and was wondering what are the chances of having to open the GC to adjust the POT if I have 3 cubes, One Purple DOL-001 I got on release date, another DOL-001 that I bought 2nd Hand a few years back and A silver DOL-101 I got given yesterday :) Hoping I this is gonna' work...
    Thanks fp94

EDIT: Oh, and sorry if it's been asked bfore but if all the cubes are PAL can I still run NTSC games?
    Cheers,

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Yea you can run NTSC games. About having to adjust pots, I've tried this on 4 GC's. It's worked properly on 1 of them only.

15. fp94

fp94 Member

Okay, thanks for the info, my SDML came today I'm already running NES,SNES and N64 emulators perfectly, I havn't got and Mini DVD's yet though so can't try GC, Which brands work best? I saw some Maxcell (sp?) in ASDA anybody tried using them?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  16. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

All systems are different. I had tried Panasonic and it worked but then crashed after 5 minutes. I tried a Ridata disc and it didn't load in mine but worked excellently in another Gamecube. 25/25 worked perfectly.
    Here's a link to the Ridata's I bought.
    http://www.amazon.com/Ridata-Mini-D...8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1256747194&sr=8-1

That's probably gonna be your best price too. If you can't order online, I suggest going to a Walmart and picking up a Visa Gift Card and using that to buy the DVDs.

17. fp94

fp94 Member

I got the DVD's and they worked perfect on the first cube I treid :D The first one didn't but I was using Nero, after switching to imgburn I've ran Mario Tennis, Kirby Air Ride, Pikmin 2, F-Zero and DK Jungle Beat, Thanks for the help :)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  18. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Which brand was it and what speed are you burning at?

19. fp94

fp94 Member

I can't find the exact model number but they are made by Maxell, are Gold and come in Spindle cases of 10, As for the speed, I'm buring in imgburn at 2x Speed, I just got a 'Media can't be regonized by Paper Mario, but i'll re-burn it later and see what happens,

20. fp94

fp94 Member

Paper Mario worked after I re-burnt it, Also, do you know how/if I can get Action Replay working on GCoS 1.5? I can't use my original PAL Mario Kart DD save with the NTSC Backup, so I want to use AR to unlock everything again...