1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soft Mod Xbox needs to be Fixed. Need order of what to do.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by catmckill, Jan 9, 2010.

1. catmckill

catmckill Member

Hello. Thanks in advance for any help. I have been searching this website and have learned a lot about Soft modded Xbox problems but I need a little help. Here is my problem. I have an xbox that was soft modded. The original hard drive was taken out and replaced with a 500 gb one. I learned how to FTP and do all of that and it worked just fine until it went beyond 400 gb. It then started putting the data on the xbox but the new stuff would not work. Also when I tried to take it off, it removed it but the space on the system did not come back. It has also corrupted random files that were on there beforehand and they will not play either. The other things will still play for now. I am not sure of the correct name for the bios that is on there but the dashboard has Xbox Media Center if that helps. I asked someone about this once and they said that the hard drive would need to be formatted and the xbox remodded and to not put as much on it next time. I can still (last time I checked) FTP to my Xbox and back to the computer. So, I guess I need to know the order and maybe any specifics that I should do to fix my xbox. I do not have action replay or anything yet either so please let me know if I need any of those things or if I can use the files on my xbox. Like I said I have checked the other forums but I really need to know in what order I should do these things. (Like format, softmod, etc.) Thanks again.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Here's an app i just uploaded for you named xbpartitioner
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U1GET477

Download the file and unrar it. Then ftp it over to your apps and run it as an app. When the app loads press the back button to see how to use the program.

It will usually automatically partition your hard drive by pressing the a button over a selected partition. Then press the black button to select between write and partition and press start to confirm.

It's pretty simple, remember any partition over 137gb needs to be formatted with 32k clusters. Xbpartitioner will do this automatically.

Remember that you will lose your information on that partition but this is the only way to fix your problem.

Let me know if you have any other questions

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  4. catmckill

catmckill Member

Thank you both for the help. I will try these tips and let you know if I have any more questions or problems with it. I did not mod it myself so your answers have helped a lot to understand it better.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Good stuff, keep us posted. Good luck.

6. catmckill

catmckill Member

Ok. I got the program on the Xbox. I have pressed the back button and reviewed the instructions. Let me share real quick what it is showing on my screen.
    Standard Partitions
    1-5 with 1 being 4882.84 mb, 2 is 500 mb and 3-5 are 750 mb.
    Extended Partitions
    6. is 120 GB (it is my F drive)
    7. is 337.76 gb (that one is my G drive)
    It says that is will use 32kb clusters for g (which has been the problem one).
    If I push the a button over it, it goes to 0. If I hit the black button it says it will erase the data. When I have it highlighted it says to press start write table and format. press back for help.
    I just want to make sure I hit the right button before proceeding. Please tell me which one. (I understood the instructions- thank you they helped a lot- but I am double checking in case.) Also, any idea how long it will take? Thanks.

7. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Yeah you need to highlight g drive and format it with 32k clusters. It will wipe out everything on that partition. If xbpartioner isn't working properly press the black button and select "write partition" then when it writes press the black button again till it says "format" then format it and it will work. Don't ask me why sometimes it doesn't write and format when it says it will, it's a bit tricky.

8. catmckill

catmckill Member

Thanks again. I will try that and let y'all know how it went.

9. catmckill

catmckill Member

I got the program to format the G drive. However, my g drive is no longer on the FTP list and it says unavailable on the bottom of the screen of the xbox. I can go into it under files but it is just the ... on there. It still shows up on the xbpartioner program. I looked around on the xbox but did not find anything that I knew to do to fix it. I remember somewhat that the person who modded it said to leave something on there or it won't show up (something like that). Do you know how to make the G drive visible again so I can use it? Thank you.

10. catmckill

catmckill Member

I did some research and checked everything I could on the xbox itself. I read one forum about having one big F drive. I used the xbpartioner and formated the F drive to 32k clusters. It seems to have worked. It gave me all my space back and I have FTPed a couple of things to it and they work. I am new to this so is there anything I need to know about doing it that way? Should I still leave at least 80 gb or so free? Also, do you think it will corrupt the data again or should it be fine now? Thanks for all the help.

11. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

You can fill that drive and if its partitioned correctly nothing bad will happen.

12. catmckill

catmckill Member

Cool. Thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it. I figured I was going to have to have it remodded and everything. This has helped me and taught me some interesting things about modded xboxes. Thanks again.

13. kirby_jr

kirby_jr Member

hey got a quick q. i use to be able to ftp to my xbox now i can i get a red this site may not allow file rusuming now it use to work and it just stop why any help is appreciated

14. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

I'm completely confused about what you're asking kirby. What modified dash are you using?

Use whole words so i can understand you or i will not help you.