1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soft modding your xbox, completely free, the easiest way.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by robman69, Mar 16, 2006.

1. robman69

robman69 Guest

Hey , i recently soft modded my xbox, it was easy as hell. i dint use AR cause i wouldnt waste money on that.

i d/l all the files and burnt them to disk. the mod was very easy, and to save you newbies alot of time and effort , just leave your email and ill email you all the files you need to burn to a disc.

First off i dont take credit for this tutorial, but i did simplify it for all you newbies.

ok what you need to do is open up your xbox. make sure its close to your PC. put the disc with the files ill send you in. Turn off your pc (keeping the cd in your cdrom drive as this will be the boot disc) now the tricky part.

once your pc is shut off, unhook the IDE cable from your pc's harddrive, and the power supply(4 pin plugin) keep the IDE cable close to your xbox .

now your xbox should be open(you need a 20 torx screwdriver but i was lazy so i used an allen key) unhook the power cable from your xbox, and pull out the IDE cable just a lil(keep it loose so you can unplug it really quickly).

hook your pc's power cable up to your xbox hardrive(the power cable you unplugged from the computers HARDDRIVE). make sure your your xbox is hooked up to a tv.

K now turn on your pc. 3 seconds after turn on your xbox.(now its time to hot swapp the drives) your xbox should boot up to the original screen. as soon as the microsoft logo appears, unplug the IDE cable from your xbox and quickly plug in the IDE cable you took out from your computer. this will then unlock the xbox hard drive, enabling you to have access to it.

now a screen should pop up saying XBOX HARD DRIVE MAKER(XBHM). type 1 and press enter. a new screen should come up with a penguin(linux) at the top and a bunch of files loading down, wait for them to be done. Now a new screen should pop up allowing you to type an option, just type in "softmod" all one word lower case.

it should bring up a whole new screen(if you unlocked the hard drive successfully, if not it will say "xbox partition cannot be found" dont panic, this only means you didnt unlock the hard drive succesfully, just retry the hotswapping again)

so ya if all went well it should bringup a whole new screen saying a bunch of crap. type 2 and press enter. it should bring you toa screen saying " 1 of 5 completed" its now installing your mod. after it gets to 5 , itll say some stupid crap like " done, quit" or something ignore it just shut offyour xbox, and pc.

hook the IDE cable from your xbox back up to your xbox hard drive, and the power supply back in, n put your pc back together.
    once you boot your xbox up, it will now load a whole new dashboard (evoX). there you go, you did it.

it took me 1 hour to do this, and it was all free, now im able to save pictures, any sort of media files (.AVI, mpeg) and play snes, 64 and stuff. im gunna write another tutorial on how to get XBMC(xbox media center) on your xbox using FTP(file transfer protocol). happy modding=).

2. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

@-IDE Cable Swap-
    Good Tutorial/Thread robman69.. But ,How about this . Turn on PC and Before your PC Boots to the BIOS , Press the [Pause/Break] Button on your Keyboard. This will stop the PC from Booting , Do the IDE Cable switch!! , Then just Press the "Spacebar" Button on your Keyboard. After the Spacebar Is Pressed . The Computer will Continue Boot and Hopefully to the Xboxhdm Disc.

robman69, The way I said to Swap the IDE cables will just make it even easier for New Modders, Thats All .. Good job on the Thread m8 :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2006
  3. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Even a newbie get in here and he does not know what you are guys talking about, which files to use, what CD, etc...

why dont you guys give link to download all files for Newbie.

4. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

5. soluvah

soluvah Member

Robman69, thanks fpr the thread. Am a noobie too. I am interested in your approach so send me the rest of the info that goes with the sofmod thread. My email address is removed. Thanks man, I will keep you updated.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  6. oneway67

oneway67 Member

Can you replace the standard Xbox hard drive with a bigger one with this method? Please send me the files to my email removed

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@Pittfan
    that is great.

8. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

>robman69 : just leave your email and ill email you all the files you need to burn to a disc.
    You know what. I was reading what "robman69" Said, and He said he would send the files needed to burn the Disc .The Reason I'm Bringing this up is If you don't Have the files ,Meaning C: Partition and The Mod files , Then Making the Xboxhdm Disc Is Useless.
    So people are gonna depend on you robman69.

9. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I know. robman69 makes this thread but without helping ppl. Now I got the xboxhdm. and I still need other files. I did pm him but NO reply. What is that? He also said he will give all files.

10. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

>oneway67

Yeah you can use this kind of method but you need your "eeprom.bin"
    This is what I'm gonna do , I'm gonna make a "How to Upgrade your Xbox Hard Drive " Tutorial .. There are tons of Tutorials I know , But most on : How to upgrade an Xbox Hard Drive are Inaccurate. Most problems Being "Locking" the Upgraded Xbox Hard Drive with the eeprom.bin -Peeps are getting the wrong Hard drive Key .. I have a way to get the eeprom.bin w/The right Hard drive Key and I know it works !___________________________________________________________
    Simple Is Best and I'll make my Tutorial Easy enough to understand. :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  11. casdnto1

casdnto1 Member

Hey you should make the tuturial to where a 5 year old can understand it or something. Cause I'm having trouble trying to put a bigger HD in my xbox.

I have a softmodded xbox, UnleashedX to be exact. I made the disc that contains the ISO you put into your comp that loads when you boot up your PC. I choose option one, alot of text appears on the screen, then nothing happends. It's supposed to ask for a login then I'm supposed to type 'xboxhd', but it doesn't. BTW I'm using and old 10 gig hard drive that was used, just to see if the darn thing works. Should I just wait for your tuturial to come up?

12. halotwo

halotwo Regular member

this is confusing

13. casdnto1

casdnto1 Member

This is confusing ? ? ?

Sorry for posting this, but I want to make sure somebody gets the message I got above the person who is confused.

14. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

>casdnto1 : I have a softmodded xbox, UnleashedX to be exact. I made the disc that contains the ISO you put into your comp that loads when you boot up your PC. I choose option one, alot of text appears on the screen, then nothing happends. It's supposed to ask for a login then I'm supposed to type 'xboxhd', but it doesn't. BTW I'm using and old 10 gig hard drive that was used, just to see if the darn thing works. Should I just wait for your tuturial to come up? _____________________________________________________________________
    No , It does'nt ask for a login .. You should see root@xbox-HDM:/1 at the bottom of page. type, xboxhd and push your [Enter] Key.. example, Type It as shown , no Quotations

root@xbox-HDM:/1 xboxhd

15. casdnto1

casdnto1 Member

It still doesnt show anything either way. I did everything it told me to do on how to make the disc in the Puting a Bigger HD in a SoftModded xbox tuturial found here. Do you think i should just wait for your tuturial?

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

soluvah / oneway67

no email addresses, the Forum Rules are in my sig

17. mikevxpx

mikevxpx Member

Hey guys. If I use xboxhdm 1.9 to format my f: drive will it do it up with 32 K cluster, on its own. (300 gig drive). Also If I don't go about it that way, and just want to make an F: and a G: drive will it prompt me to do the G: drive on its own? One more thing, Can I make the F: and G: whatever size I want? (Ex: 150 gigs on each or 200 and 100) (I know if won't come out to 150 each or 200 and 100, its just and Ex.)
    Thanks a lot everyone.

Oh sorry, its softmodded.
    Plus I have a 300 gig drive in one of mine right now and all of it is on the F: drive. But I don't know how they formatted it. Probably with xbplorer and in a 32 K cluster because I can use it all on the F: drive (but I never used that before, just xboxhdm.) Thanks again!

18. robman69

robman69 Guest

alright first off....i will not ask you to leave your " email " cause apparentlty thats against the rules...or something. but ill work on getting the files on a site...and yes for all those ppl who asked for those files please repost and say you needthem cause so many ppl are asking ive lost count....if you dont wanna do it this way or cant understand your ethier retarded or just lazy cause this is NEWB stuff...like i uno if you dont like the method i posted, its simple. dont use it , and thank you to pittman, the pause break button would be easier, but the hot swapping only takes about 5 seconds. but whatever works for you
    anyways like i said those ppl who emailed me for the files i will email you them, but for new ppl who need them your gunna have to wait till i make a site with the files on them

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

just PM yourselves with email addresses, just not on the public forums

20. zegind

zegind Member

oops i dropped a clanger

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006