1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Softmodded box No idea what dash

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by shinnster, Mar 8, 2006.

1. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

Hello, this may seem strange but i aquired a box of a friend but have no idea what dash it is using at the moment. When it boots up it says Media X menu ( never heard of this) and it scrolls down code like the matrix. it then goes to a screen that says 'loading Ltools' and then when its booted it says Ltools v1.8 at the top. it has a menu down the right hand side with

Ms Dash
    Reboot
    Power Off
    Ltools
    Dashboards

Can I just load up Aid Installer to put a new dash on or does that not work on softmodded boxes?

2. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Yes, Media X menu is the dashboard. But it is suck. Replace it with Evox.

Download Evox from xbins, If you dont know how pm me.
    Then extract it and ftp all the files and folders to root of drive C on xbox.

3. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Remember do not delete anything.

4. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

cheers for the quick reply, i have now installed evox but it is still booting up into media x first then i have to select evox. Do i need to edit a file on the C drive? if so what file ? i know about ftp'ing in and that stuff. And you're right, media X does suck. looks horrible and gives you nothing! cheers for any help

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

tell me what you have in drive C.

6. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

On my c i have
    Folders =
    Audio
    backup
    fOnts
    Skin
    Trainers
    xboxdashdata.10027100
    xodash

files =
    bert.xlf
    dualboot.xbe
    ernie.xlf
    evox.ini
    evoxdash.xbe
    items.txt
    msdash.xbe
    xbox book.bak
    xbox.bak
    xboxdash.bak
    xboxdash.xbe

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I think MXM is msdash.xbe. Tell me what is the size of xboxdash.xbe and msdash.xbe?

8. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

msdash.xbe = 1.56 meg
    xboxdash.xbe = 1.9 meg

i have found another dashboard folder on the e drive with MXM.xml & menu.xml & cache_menu.xml. would they be the files that i'm looking for to edit?

on further inspection of these files in the cache_menu.xml the title is msdash and says to launch msdash.xbe

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  9. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

do you see MXM.xbe?

10. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

the only MXM is the MXM.xml and thats on the E drive. there Is no MXM.xbe on the C drive

The msdash is the actual Microsoft dash so that would mean that the xboxdash.xbe is the one running Media X, is that right?

11. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

yes
    So just rename xboxdash.xbe to xboxdashMXM.xbe
    and evoxdash.xbe to xboxdash.xbe

12. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

I done that and now the box boots up and gets error code 13 call for service. I can't even ftp back in now to change it back :-( how do i get round this, any ideas?

13. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

13 - kernel - Dashboard launch fail (due to missing/bad key, or anything else that would prevent it from running) and the dashboard didn't specify why it failed.

The error it gives is because of the incompatibility between the (older) dashboard (4920) that older slayer cd installs and the new dashboard/kernel versions found in some new xbox's and found in xbox's that have been connected to xbox live (when you go on xbox-live, it'll upgrade your dashboard file to i believe it is now 5659.03. This dasboard is incompatible with the dash that (old) slayer cd installs (for example 2.5 or lower) for you.

(In detail, in the eeprom chip there is a kernel which is incompatible with the dashboard (4920) that slayer installs.)

So what do you do to fix it? You can use the dashupdate found on most new xbox games! Be sure to 1st unplug your ethernet cable before you do so!!!

Besides that, just use a good installation disc and all is fine. Use a 2.6 slayer or something similar

14. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

The only xbox game i have is halo 2 so i put that in and it is still the same. I have aid auto installer 2.1 which i got the evox dash off but that does not boot up, it just goes back to that error screen

15. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I think you told me wrong info here. The msdash.xbe is NOT the actual MS dash.

16. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

can you go live and update your dashboard?

17. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

if i connect to xbox live that should update the dash for me shouldnt it? ( i know there is a risk of being banned)
    sorry must have posted this at the same time. i will try that now

18. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Maybe not.

19. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

I tried to get onto live but had to register my account on this box and that came back with an error code 21. If i try to load up my AID installer when the box boots up i get code 14. any other ideas?

20. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

14 - dashboard - Error loading dashboard (dashboard generic error)

Same thing as above (error 13). This time it is also a little mistake from you on changing names or having played around with files on the xbox harddisk. Error 14 is most often because you changed boot orders or names of startup files on the harddisk. It can also happen when you are rebuilding your xbox harddisk with a slayer cd and the power was cut.

21 - anywhere -

This error says that the machine was booted to display a error, basically someone told the machine to reboot (or launch a xbe) with this flag, and the error code just means its been rebooted by the flag

This occurs frequently when the xbox is unable to boot due to dashboard changes being made (ie Gcue true blue hasnt been resigned, parts of the stock dash are missing - incomplete FTP backups copied to a new HDD for example).