1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Softmodding an Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

Maybe one of the admins can sticky this? It seems to be a major topic popping up now and I figure i'd just lend a hand to all those that need the help with this...

First off, if you're not on Xbox Live and you have an Xbox, there's no reason your Xbox shouldn't be modded. You might as well go ahead and do it, especially seeing as how the next gen systems are coming out in a few months. At least you'll still have some great new functionality out of your current Xbox. This tutorial uses what I believe to be the best and most stable (not to mention NOOB PROOF and easy to use) softmod auto-installer available, LTools Package. On to the tutorial....

Necessary Equipment:

[bold]An Xbox w/ Xbox Live Tab[/bold] - If you don’t have an xbox live tab then you can update your xbox by running a xbox live enabled game and installing the updates. Don't worry you don't have to sign up for anything. You also need to know what kernel and version your xbox is. To find the kernel go into MS Dashboard settings and select "System Info". Just let it scroll until you see something like this: "k:1.00.4981.67" and use that info to find out the xbox version.

[bold]Mechassault, Splinter Cell or 007-Agent Under Fire(you only need one)[/bold] - Mechassault (Has to be the original version, You can tell what version you have by the laser etching on the back, if you have MS02301L you have the original, if it is MS02308L you have the new version which will not work.) Adversely, you can use the original Splinter Cell or 007 - Agent Under Fire. However, for sake of less typing, i'll refer to Mechassault as the chosen game throughout this tutorial.

[bold]A computer with a USB port[/bold]

[bold]Action Replay[/bold] - Get it at your local video game store

[bold]Ldots ltools Package v1.7.5[/bold] - There are 3 versions of this package depending on the game you wish to use. You will need to gain access to the Xbins' FTP to get the file. The directory in which it is found is: xbox/operating system/linux/distributions/ltools/

Once you have gathered your necessary materials, you may continue...

[bold]Modding the Xbox:[/bold]

Open the Action Replay software and on your PC open the directory in which your version of the ltools package is saved. Then just simply drag and drop the .zip file into the middle column (PC Database). After this drag the gamesave (Run Linux) across to the left column which shows your memory card and it should copy across.

Take out the memory card from the docking station and put it into the top of your xbox joypad. On the Microsoft xbox dashboard choose memory and select the memory card with the gamesave on. Press right on the gamepad to go to the gamesave and click A. Then select Copy and copy the game to the xbox hard drive. Insert MechAssault and wait for it to load.

Select campaign and load up Run Linux by selecting it with A. Once loaded scroll down (Press B if you only see the name of the game that is currently loaded).

Select Backup from the main menu. This will allow you to restore your xbox to the original state if something goes wrong. When the Backup is complete go back to the menu and select UDE Install. This will open a prompt asking you to choose which UDE to install.

Choose which UDE to install by which Kernel you have, UDE1 should be used on kernels prior to 5713 (1.0 - 1.5 Xboxes) and UDE2 should be used on kernels 5713 and higher (1.6 Xboxes). The UDE2 only works on USA/Canadadian xboxes.

Next it will ask you to pick a bios loader/patcher, I usually use PBL-Metoo, as it's the fastest of the 3 loaders available.

After that it will tell you to choose which bios to install, use Evox M8 for version 1.6+ xboxes and X2 4981 for version 1.0 thru 1.5 xboxes.

Finally choose EvolutionX or MXM for the dashboard. Personally, i'd go with EvolutionX. Wait for it to finish installing, when it tells you to turn off your xbox, you can then turn it off. If your screen goes black or green and is garbled, it is normal, just wait for the xbox's lights to blink green on and off, that signals that it is complete.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  2. Heretic1

Heretic1 Guest

hey dude i mostly get everything but the part thats in bold .[bold]" Ldots ltools Package v1.7.5 - There are 3 versions of this package depending on the game you wish to use. You will need to gain access to the Xbins' FTP to get the file. The directory in which it is found is: xbox/operating system/linux/distributions/ltools/ [/bold] i do not no where to get that every time i go to mirc and type #xbins and then msg xbins list nothing ever appears, and it always says there no suck nick please respond to me in this thread or my email xskullx01@yahoo.com or if u have xbox live my gamertag is heretic126 just add me plz
    ps would anything change, since the tutorial is on mechassult,but i have splinter cell!

3. spartini

spartini Guest

hey yeah i need some serious help.... im not any good at this stuff since i just got it... but its that whole xbin thing that throws me off... i dont know how to get that number or whatever... if you could tell me at my gamertag- SpartanPat492, my email-mad_dog2@sbcglobal.net, or just add the info to this thread that would be great.... also can we jsut download the amready made softmod at codejunkies.com, cause i did that but when i get to mechassualt the profile cant be found

4. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

Like I said, i'm not concerned with OTHER types of softmods or packages that are out there. LTools is by far in my opinion the BEST and MOST EASY TO USE because it automates the process. As far as Xbins is concerned, its' quite easy to use. You open up Mirc and you HAVE to fill in an email addy and a nickname or whatever, just type any d@mn thing. Then, connect to one of the servers on EFnet. Then when the window pops up for what room type #xbins. From there, type /msg xbins !list like they tell you to do and you can then connect to their download server using your nickname and password they give you. Keep in mind there is a limit to how much you can download per day or they will impose 24-48 hour ban on you if you go over.

5. spartini

spartini Guest

lol everyone who wants this just go to codejunkies.com and look for the soft mod community powersave... it has it already done.... i had to do it the hard way :( but it was worth it after finding out that i had the wrong version of mechassault

6. Heretic1

Heretic1 Guest

Ok i figured out how to get the xbins shit,now i need for u to help me with another problem when i go to my ftp and get the files from xbins its gives me three catagories, [bold] PC, DEBUG AND XBOX [/bold] and when u click on one of those more files come out of them, so can anyone help to tell me which files i need to get to mod my xbox for halo 2.

ok another thing that i dont get at the very end of softmodding the box, when put the game in (splinter cell) and edit all that shit, am i done? Like if i play halo2, will it be modded? or will i have to do some more shit? please some one respond

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2005
  7. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@Heretic1 - Please re-read the tutorial, i specifically state (in the first half of the tut nonetheless!) which directory to go into to find the necessary files. Once you have finished modding the xbox, your Halo 2 will not be "modded". I'm not even sure what you mean by this. If you mean will you be able to play modded maps or mod the maps and weapons, then yes you will be able to. Other than that, there will be no change to the game.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2005
  8. Heretic1

Heretic1 Guest

oooo i didnt see that lol, thanx

9. Heretic1

Heretic1 Guest

after i click the ltools they give me alot more files and folders. which ones do i get and how do i download them or save them

10. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@Heretic1 - Again my man, READ the tutorial...i've bolded the materials needed so people can better read whats necessary. But for sake of you having to go back and actually read this tut AGAIN, (which conversely, sounds like something you should do again anyway cuz you should know what you need by now) you need ltools Package v1.7.5 for whichever game you are planning to use to mod the Xbox. To download the files just use an FTP program such as SmartFTP, AceFTP, etc. Just drag the file from the right window over to a folder on your left window and it'll download the file.
    PS - You don't have to PM me everytime you post in the forums, I am subscribed to the post, and it automatically lets me know when someone has posted something in here, and then I can check it.....thanks!

11. jason0011

jason0011 Member

hey where in the xbins site thing, I'm in the westite with the downloads, but where is this package I can't find it?

12. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@jason0011 - xbins the IRC channel, not website...

13. Heretic1

Heretic1 Guest

Man lol cant believe i didnt read that lol, ok i downloaded that bull already. I go to action replay and when i click on mechassult it brings 2 folders out [bold] DATELMECH AND RUN LiNuX [/bold] i know to drag run linux to the left and download it to the memory card, but its under mechassult, not splinter cell cause i have splinter cell. would that be a problem or would it still be the same thing?

14. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@Heretic1 - You need to download the corresponding gamesave from Xbins according to whichever game you have. If you're using Splinter Cell, download the Splinter Cell 1.7.5 gamesave. You're going to drag the gamesave from your PC File Explorer to the MIDDLE column of Action Replay, then drag the Run Linux gamesave to the LEFT column of Action Replay to copy it to your memory card.

15. spartini

spartini Guest

i can answer that i think.... all u have to do is go to codejunkies.com look for saves under the first splinter cell... there is run linux save... also you downloaded the wrong one thats why you downloaded the mech assault one you gotta look for the splinter cell one....

16. spartini

spartini Guest

o ya and jonbitrini this tutorial is da bomb!!! every other tutorial is like big words i dont understand or they are really short not giving enough detail.

17. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@spartini - You're right about him needing the proper gamesave, and yeah i'm sure the file is hosted on codejunkies, but i think you have to register with their site before you can download it unless they changed that policy. I just think it'd be easier to get it from "The usual places". And thanks for the compliment, just trying to help everyone interested in softmodding out a little bit, just how everyone helped me when i was a noob.

18. Heretic1

Heretic1 Guest

ok another problem theres 2 itools of splinter cell and both are RAR files not zip which means i cannot but on Action replay! cause the only take zip files, is there a way to change them to zip or am i FU##?

19. jason0011

jason0011 Member

at the code junkies site do you have to dl the install 1 or can u install the other 1 becuz the install 1 is 2 big 4 my memory card

20. jason0011

jason0011 Member

or is their any place 2 dl it with a 8 MB memory card

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.