1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Softmodding an Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbaron178

sbaron178 Guest

hey jonbtrini, i was reading the first few pages of this tut to see if any1 else had my problem and i can c ur doing a really good job with a bunch of idiots. well...i dont hav ar but i do hav a memory stick and a converter (xbox expansion pak to usb port). i downloaded the installer, added it to the ar program. my problem is that ar dosnt recognize the usb stick so i cant transfer the files to it. can u help? thanx

2. joeky

joeky Member

--------PLEASE READ THIS--------------------------------------------

ok, i need help
    --im using a SanDisk micro 256mb usb to transfer the files
    --i also have an adapter for my xbox(hooks into contrler port with a female usb on the other end.
    --i have tried about 20 different programs for mechassault
    --i do have the original version
    --But every time when i plug the usb port in at my dashboard(xboxlive enabled) it says that the memory unit is corrupted and erases it.
    --i have never seen the "run linux" at the mechassault campain or in the memory tab at my dashboard.
    --every time i plug it into my computer it makes me format it.
    --i can not put any new files on to my usb without my computer formatting it. i use windows 98 or xp not sure.
    --i downloaded action replay from the net, so i have the software and the program with all the files but none of the hard ware.
    --i am very good at using mirc. i have that figured out. i fairly understand how to use flashfxp. But i am able to use it.
    --i have deleted all of my original MA saves from my xbox harddrive.
    --when i run campain i only see the profile for "mechwarrior" nothing about linux.
    Is there a certain way im suppose to turn or restart my xbox so my usb isnt erased? Or am i suppose to wait for my xbox to format the usb, if so HOW LONG?

---please if u know any info or have any suggestions please post or email me at joeky@bellsouth.net

3. joeky

joeky Member

--------PLEASE READ THIS--------------------------------------------

ok, i need help
    --im using a SanDisk micro 256mb usb to transfer the files
    --i also have an adapter for my xbox(hooks into contrler port with a female usb on the other end.
    --i have tried about 20 different programs for mechassault
    --i do have the original version
    --But every time when i plug the usb port in at my dashboard(xboxlive enabled) it says that the memory unit is corrupted and erases it.
    --i have never seen the "run linux" at the mechassault campain or in the memory tab at my dashboard.
    --every time i plug it into my computer it makes me format it.
    --i can not put any new files on to my usb without my computer formatting it. i use windows 98 or xp not sure.
    --i downloaded action replay from the net, so i have the software and the program with all the files but none of the hard ware.
    --i am very good at using mirc. i have that figured out. i fairly understand how to use flashfxp. But i am able to use it.
    --i have deleted all of my original MA saves from my xbox harddrive.
    --when i run campain i only see the profile for "mechwarrior" nothing about linux.
    Is there a certain way im suppose to turn or restart my xbox so my usb isnt erased? Or am i suppose to wait for my xbox to format the usb, if so HOW LONG?

---please if u know any info or have any suggestions please post or email me at joeky@bellsouth.net

4. pwnedu

pwnedu Member

when i get onto XBINS on mIRC,the only thing that shows on the screen is " Now Talking in #xbins" nothing else appears. i then type in "/msg xbins !list" without the quotes and NOTHING HAPPENS except for it saying "xbins no such nick" WTF?

5. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

That means you didn't put in a nickname before logging in....you have to put in a nickname...

6. sbaron178

sbaron178 Guest

hey joeky, apperently we hav the same problem. was ur reply supposed to help me or somthin? i guess im just gonna get action replay at game stop.

7. joeky

joeky Member

8. joeky

joeky Member

my xbox reads 1 save of mechA on the memorycard
    but the only option it gives me is "delete"
    no "copy" --how do i copy it to my hard drive?
    --im usig a usb
    post or email me
    joeky@bellsouth.net

9. sbaron178

sbaron178 Guest

when u access ur memory card from ur ms dash two things come up...
    the memory card itself and the lunix file. scroll to the lunix file. then press right to select the sub file under "lunix" which will probably hav the same name. c if that works

10. sbaron178

sbaron178 Guest

hey guys, i guess this isnt a hardware question but here it goes. I've finally gotten that mod to work. i started the xbox and put in a game that i made my self. After i pressed launch dvd... nothing happened. i no the selfmade game works because i used it on my own modded xbox. is it the drive??? what should i do?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
  11. Jordy16

Jordy16 Guest

Will softmodding allow u to run super fast and jump super high, soz 4 soundin like a noob!!

12. dsmsta187

dsmsta187 Member

ok i need help with one thing my xbox is all ready soft modded and all that i have flash fxp but im haveing probs connecting to my xbox i have a cat 6 crossover cable and am useing direct connection form pc to xbox but when i put in my xboxs ip into flash fxp and try to connect it tells me connection failed {no route to host} if any one can help me fix this prob i would be very thankfull

13. ILLMAG7

ILLMAG7 Guest

hey jonbtrini, i understand everyting about the tutorial except for 1 line. what does put the gamesave (Run Linux) into the memory column mean??? I dont't know wherer run linux gamesave is....

14. ILLMAG7

ILLMAG7 Guest

hey jonbtrini, can you softmod an xbox if you have a thompson drive, because many ppl are saying i cant and i kno that thompsons are pieces of shit...

15. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@ILLMAG7 - You can get the gamesave from Xbins in the directory i listed in the tutorial. If you ned help on how to use Xbins, check Slith's excellent tut...wish i had a direct link to it, but it's stickied in another forum. General Xbox forum i think. Also, yes you can mod your Xbox no matter what type of DVD drive you have. Don't listen to those "know it alls" who actually know nothing...

16. ILLMAG7

ILLMAG7 Guest

o and also, i followed your tutorial exactly and i even tried many other tutorials but whenever i get to splinter cell and i choose the linux profile, not run linux profile, i go to checkpoints and then my xbox just freezes and i cant click back or anything....

it does that for EVERYTHING

17. ScooterB

ScooterB Member

Jon;

In your Tut you mentioned picking between EvolutionX or MXM for the dashboard. Can we have a choice of UnleashX as well? or is this something I would have to load at a later time?

Thanks

18. vidski

vidski Member

I just wanted to drop in and shout out a big thanks to jonbtrini for taking the time to put this tutorial together. Linux Tools 1.75 is one hell of a quick and easy way to flash your bios and softmod your xbox. I especially liked this meathod as I am comfortable with linux and have been using several different linux distrobutions on my home computers for almost 2 years now. And remember people, jonbtrini's tutorial simply gets you set up on a modded box. From here you can keep researching and install many additional applications like linux or dvd2xbox which will allow you copy and run your games/movies/etc right from your xbox hard drive. I mean shit... the xbox is virtually a personal computer, why not use it like one?!?!?!?!

PS.. jonbtrini, I run my xbox through my main Linux box with a TV card and the use of a cool linux app called 'tvtime.' This gives me the ability to quickly and easily take lots and lots very high quality screenshots of every little detail of the softmodding process. If you ever wish to revise your tutorial with screenshots for every step or something like that email me at zukowskd@mscd.edu and I will gladly help you out with that. I also used the mech assault meathod so the screenshots would mirror your tutorial quite nicely.

Good Luck All, and let your experiments open the door to new xbox possibilities!

19. sniper91

sniper91 Member

hey heritic1 did ur dum ass ever find out how 2 mod wow i feel very sorry 2 who ever had 2 reply 2 u

20. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@Scooter8 - The installer only gives you the options to choose between Evox or MXM. However, it is SUPER easy to install any other dashboard you'd prefer. All you have to do is FTP into your Xbox, and delete the files that are in E:\Dashboard folder (remember to back them up though to your PC just in case). Then, just FTP the files for whatever dashboard you want to run BACK INTO the E:\Dashboard folder, and then reboot your Xbox, and you'll be looking at your newly installed dash!

@vidski - Yo thanks man, i'm glad to see i was helpful! Heck yeah, i'd love to maybe add some pics to the tutorial so i'll go ahead and email you about that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.