1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Softmodding an Xbox Tutorial

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by jonbtrini, Jun 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@heretic12 - Okay, if you READ the tutorial carefully, you'll notice it says that if your screen turns green and messed up/garbled, it is NORMAL, just wait until the Xbox lights flash green on and off and it's done. I'm guessing you saw your screen get messed up and then cut your Xbox off, in which case, something is probably messed up. If you can in fact boot any games at all, redo the Mechassault and run ltools, and DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR XBOX UNTIL IT'S FINISHED OR YOU CAN SERIOUSLY KEEP YOUR XBOX FROM WORKING!

@petie07 - To keep from getting banned on XBL the only steps you can really take are to make SURE you update your dash before modding the Xbox, then make sure to always place the original game in the tray and power off your Xbox then power it back on so that the game is the first thing that boots, not the modded bios.

@Yomo & Andvarion - CONGRATULATIONS! Enjoy your modded Xbox! Andvarion, don't mess with Mini-Linux or Ltools on the Evox menu, it will only lead to trouble, lol. I've never seen Boxplorer automatically installed, but any programs you want to put on the Xbox are easily added by FTP.

2. heretic12

heretic12 Guest

writting came up in like 100 different languages
    right after i loaded the save with mech

3. heretic12

heretic12 Guest

hey does anyone have a 2 month free subscribtion code to live

4. SnoopFrog

SnoopFrog Member

hey guys if u want help im on a lot during the day but im not gonna check these forums...Ill also send you some game hack files and ther programs including a hacked version of flashfxp so there isnt a trial limit time

aim= the49erfan81

5. MeDaN

MeDaN Member

Ok. i've been reading on this forum for some time now and i've gottin almost every thing 2 work which leads to my first couple and hopefully last questions.I've got Evox dashboard on my Xbox but how do i back up my games onto the harddrive? i've found where it says backup in the systm utils but when i try 2 use it nothing happens. did i forget 2 install something? i used splinter cell 2 install linux and i'm wondering if i forgot something. i heard about in audio exploit. is that wat i need? i also read about updating evox. is that it? plz help me out cuz i'm getting lost here.

6. skullsold

skullsold Member

Hi,

I need some help regarding the backup...I clicked backup and it went to this weird screen and it started to act like my tv wasn't working. Then my xbox froze and it was yellow around the eject button.

I shut my xbox off and then went back to the Ltools, and clicked backup again and it said it already existed... but i'm not too sure if it did it correctly. Any insight?

7. spartini

spartini Guest

lol ya same here that happened to me... you must of done it right cause mine was like that... also the tut that jonbitrin or whatever gave us is for v2... i can only find v1.8 what do i do!!!! i almost destroyed my xbox... i couldnt get on xbox live because i couldnt trouble shoot anything.....

8. skullsold

skullsold Member

Did your mod work when you did the backup? Cause I really don't want to move forward without a backup in case something goes wrong.

9. spartini

spartini Guest

lol also ummm im asking ppl on xbl for help on softmodding... some of them tell me to go to sites where there are like krazie installer for MA v2.7 and stuff like that.... i have no idea wth to do... jon if you know how to install v1.8 or atleast tell me how to find v2 that would be sweet... also if anyone can send me to a site with patches or gamhacks that will let me superjump and run really fast whenver then can u plz tell me thanks!

10. spartini

spartini Guest

i did the back up and it told me to turn my xbox off so i did... then when i booted it back up it went to the MXM men or whatever itools and i tried following the tut ut this version had UXE and like i couldnt find evox wasnt in this version and i was getting confused so i installed uxe.... well then i thought my mod was ready so i tried getting on xbox live... it seems it changed the ip addressed from auto to manual and i couldnt get to the ttrouble shooter it would go to itools so i started pannicking and uninstalling everything and trying to back to my hard drive to the original state and that worked.... but im so scared to try again without a proper v1.8 tut for itools

11. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@Medan - No no, it sounds like you've got everything working beautifully. To backup your games, you have to download a program called DVD2XBOX, which is available in Xbins in the Xbox/apps folder somewhere. FTP that to your Xbox and you can use it to backup your games.

@Skullsold - I've said it once, i've said it a million times, if you guys would read the tutorial carefully and thoroughly, just about ALL your questions are answered. The screen going garbed and messed up is normal, this means you probably have a 1.6 Xbox, and the video does this on the newer Xboxes for some reason. When the lights are flashing yellow DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR XBOX!!! When the lights are flashing green THEN you may turn it off.

@spartini - The tutorial i gave is for the use of ltools packages 1.7.5 so i don't know what you're talking about with all this v2 or v1.8 stuff....

12. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@Skullsold - If you don't feel comfortable that the Backup was complete in Evox, just FTP into your Xbox, and look for the "BiosLD" folder. Copy the files in that folder to a safe place on your PC Harddrive. This info contains your eeprom, and harddisk info should anything go wrong.

13. spartini

spartini Guest

lol i was using v1.8r MA or whatever.... lol i thoguht you were talking about v2... my bad

14. slyfox1

slyfox1 Member

@jon, I followed everything to the T but it doesn't seem to be working. I get the blue green orange black screen thats all jumbled, and I resart my xbox when you say you should and I get weird errors on a screen that looks like its from the matrix ( errors 13 and 21) I tried both the old version 1.75 and the newer version of Ltools 1.8 something. But its still not working. When using the newer version my xbox loads like a normal xbox does but I can't seem to load the linux OS to mod the code. Am I missing something?

15. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@slyfox - make sure you are using the PROPER VERSION OF UDE when installing. If your xbox is 1.0 - 1.5 use UDE 1 and the options i gave in the tut, and if your xbox is a 1.6, use UDE 2 and the options i gave in the tut...

16. slyfox1

slyfox1 Member

@jon, I believe I am using all of the correct selections. I checked all of the infomation that I would need before running the programs. The xbox won't load the new dash board for the mod. Any info? just to make sure I have the correct info where do I find it?

17. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@slyfox - well if you're getting an error 13, that is an error pertaining to a dashboard fail, which means you deleted something that had to do with the dashboard. Either that or your cut your Xbox off when the screen was garbled, before it was finished copying the files....if you an boot into Ltools, then rerun the installer and select UDE1 if you selected UDE2 the first time, and vice versa....

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  18. slyfox1

slyfox1 Member

@jon, Alright good news the dash board loads up but mini-linux doesn't run and I still get error 21 sometimes. Any suggestions?

19. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

@slyfox - What are you messing with mini-linux for? [bold]NOBODY SHOULD MESS WITH MINI-LINUX OR LTOOLS on the Evox Menu[/bold]. These are STRICTLY FOR ADVANCED USERS. Most of you don't sound like you know too much about modding, so I would NOT mess with these until you learn how to use them!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  20. slyfox1

slyfox1 Member

@jon, gotcha....so how would I edit a file on the xbox hard drive without it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.