1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Softmodding your XBOX tutorial for Halo 2!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by ZePheRoS, Jan 2, 2006.

1. ZePheRoS

ZePheRoS Member

This is the route I took in the process of Softmodding my Xbox. If you do everything I tell you correct step by step, this process should only take 10 minutes. The main reason for me softmodding my Xbox was for Halo 2. Also, I put a lot of detail in this tutorial. I hope it gets [bold]stickied,[/bold] & I hope this tutorial helps you!

[bold]Listed below you is what you will need[/bold] :

[bold]Splinter Cell[/bold] (Non Platinum hits)

[bold]A computer[/bold]. [bold][NOTE][/bold] : This will not function with a MACINTOSH Operating System.[/bold] It will only function correctly with Windows 98 and above.

[bold]An Xbox[/bold]. (Obviously.)

[bold]Official Action Replay Software[/bold] (It can be any version of Action Replay it doesn't matter..)

[bold]A router[/bold].

[bold]A USB port[/bold].

[bold]Action Replay Memory Card "8MB"[/bold].

[bold]The Action Replay uploader cord.[/bold] (The one that hooks into your USB port..)

Hello, welcome to my Softmodding tutorial. I will be covering all you need to know in order to successfully patch & mod your Halo 2 maps. Now, we begin..

[bold]1.)[/bold] Run your Action Replay software, go to this link. http://www.xX360Xx.com Go to that site I just provided for you and find the Linux files. When you click on Linux files 2 downloads show up. Go to the 100 % Safe Games download, A.K.A. (Evolution X). [bold][NOTE] : Don't use Unleashed X, (80 % safe downloads) it has a bad history of screwing up your Xbox's Hard drive.[/bold]

[bold]2.)[/bold] When you are finished downloading the Linux files, click on the folder, the 2 should be there. [bold][NOTE] : DON'T EXTRACT THE FILES KEEP THEM AS .ZIP.[/bold] Drag them from the folder onto your Memory Card slot in your Action Replay window. You will know Action Replay is working when the "AR" orb at the top is illuminated in green. If it's gray, you've done something wrong. To make sure the orb will be/stay green, check if your USB plug that came with your Action Replay is safely in the USB port, and that your "8MB" memory card is safely in the tip of the cord. After your Linux files are done downloading onto your memory card, unplug your "8MB" Memory card from your USB tip and plug the memory card into your Xbox's Controller Port (Where the Voice Box goes on Xbox Live).

[bold]3.)[/bold] Turn on your Xbox. Now. go to your Xbox's dashboard and go to your memory card. [bold][NOTE]: If you have old Splinter Cell data on your memory card, DELETE IT. The Linux files can be the only Splinter Cell saves you can have.[/bold] Now, Copy the Splinter Cell file and the Linux file to your Xbox's hard drive. [bold][NOTE] : You have the move your icon right if you want to copy it, if you leave it as is it will just ask if you want to delete it![/bold] After you've done that, insert your "Splinter Cell" disc, let it load, Click Start, then click linux, then checkpoints. Now you'll be in the "Evolution X" modded dashboard. Scroll down and you'll see System Utils, click on it then go to "Settings". Now copy down your Xbox's IP on a piece of paper and go to your computer. (An example of what an Xbox IP will look like would be 192.168.0.173) [bold]STAY IN YOUR MODDED DASHBOARD DON'T TOUCH THE CONTROLLER.[/bold] [bold][NOTE] : You can only transfer mods and connect to FlashFXP when you are in the modded dashboard.[/bold]

[bold]4.)[/bold] Now what I want you to do is download the following programs from this link below you :
    http://www.xx360xx.com/
    [bold]FlashFXP[/bold]
    [bold]Map Resigner[/bold]
    [bold]PPF O Matic[/bold]
    (To get these go to Programs then go to "Modding")

[bold]5.)[/bold] Now that you have all the necessary programs, download the most popular .PPFs from these links :
    http://www.PPFnoobs.tk
    http://www.xX360Xx.com
    To get the .PPF files from www.PPFnoobs.tk go to downloads, scroll down to the very bottom and choose "NeoN's map pack."

To get the .PPF files from http://www.xX360Xx.com go to Website PPFs and then choose "x50x Fear's PPFs." Don't choose NeoN's because I linked you to http://www.PPFnoobs.tk to get those, the reason I didn't give you one link to get both is because the link doesn't work on xX360Xx.com, Besides. His best mods are on PPFnoobs.tk

After you have your PPF files downloaded just sort the makers of the PPF files in seperate folders and leave it on your desktop.

[bold]6.)[/bold] Now, run the 3 programs. Map Resigner, FlashFXP, and PPF O Matic, you'll use Map Resigner and PPF O Matic later, now, focus on FlashFXP. Open FlashFXP, still in your modded dashboard on Xbox.. A window will pop up when you run FlashFXP. Just click "I accept" and press "F8" On your keyboard. [bold][NOTE] : Make sure "F Lock" on your keyboard is on.[/bold] Ignore "History" on the top. For "Server or URL" type in your Xbox's IP. For name type xbox for password type xbox and just ignore the rest of the stuff on the bottom. Now, do the following. When you sign on, on your right there should be a list of folders. Double Click on the "E" Folder, then click on "TDATA" folder, then click on the folder that ends with "64", then click on "$c" folder. Inside you'll see 3 map folders. 00000001 contains Containment.map and Warlock.map, 00000002 contains Deltatap.map (Sanctuary) and Turf.map. 00000003 contains Dune.map (Relic), Triplicate.map (Terminal), Elongation.map, Backwash.map, and Gemini.map.

[bold]7.)[/bold] Now what I want you to do is make a folder in the "My Documents" folder called "Maps", now close My Documents and go back to your FlashFXP window. You have a slot on your right containing your maps and a slot on the left containing an empty maps folder, right? Now. What I want you to do is simply drag the maps from the 00000001 folder (Containment.map) and (Warlock.map) over to your left side. Ignore the rest of the maps you want modded for now, so you don't get confused which map goes where.

[bold]8.)[/bold] Open PPF O Matic. You'll see ISO File and Patch on the bottom. Next to both of them are little blue floppy discs, right? Well on the top (the ISO one) click the blue floppy and browse "My Documents" for the "Maps" folder. When you find it, Click it. Now you must be wondering, WHY ISN'T THERE ANYTHING IN HERE!? Haha, you just simply go down where it says "Files of type", click the arrow next to it and choose "All Files". Now, you must see your .map files in your "Maps" folder now, right? Good. Now click the .map file you want modded first, there is no specific order, so it won't matter which one you want to patch first. Now, you should have the ISO box filled with text. Good, now your on to box 2, the "Patch" one. Click the blue floppy disc on the side and browse on your desktop where you left your PPF files earlier. Now that you have either Warlock.map or Containment.map in the first window, just simply choose the PPF file that goes with it! Warlock.map goes with Warlock.ppf and Containment.map goes with Containment.ppf, get it! It doesn't matter who the maker of the PPF files you choose, mix and match if you want even! [bold][NOTE] : Yes you can make your own mods, but save that for later, it is too advanced for you.[/bold] Now after you have chosen both the matching .map and the matching .PPF, click "apply". It will tell you something about "burning a disc now", ignore it and click "ok". Now, the original map that was in your map folder will now be modded!

[bold]9.)[/bold] Now, this is where your "Map Resigner" kicks in. You should already have the program running like I told you earlier. [bold][NOTE] : If your Map Resigner won't run and you get an error message, download .NET Framework.[/bold] (The Map Resigner icon should look like a red ball with black eyes). Now, when you have your Map Resigner running, click on the box on the left that says "open map". When you have found your map in the "Maps" folder that is now modded, click it then simply on your left box click "Sign". It shouldn't take too long to complete.

[bold]10.)[/bold] Now that you your modded maps that are in your "Maps" folder are resigned, re-open your FlashFXP window. In your 00000001 folder on your right where your original containment.map and warlock.map maps are sitting, before you insert the modded maps, [bold]DELETE THE ORIGINAL MAPS.[/bold] Now on your left you should have your "Maps" folder open with your modded maps. Insert containment.map first or warlock.map first, it doesnt matter. But when it's done transferring to your 00000001 folder, it is modded on your Xbox. After you've transfered both maps, CONGRATS! You now have modded content on your Xbox. Now on your right, delete those modded maps that are there because they are already on your xbox, or do whatever you please with them. Just keep in mind that you can't drag those onto your desktop, you have to right click on them and transfer them somewere. Now, repeat the process if you want to mod all of your maps.

Congratulations, you have completed my 10 minute tutorial. Now GO GET EM' TIGER!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  2. ZePheRoS

ZePheRoS Member

And furthermore, a tip for morons. [bold]Think before YOU POST.[/bold] Meaning, if you have something off-topic to this thread or if you have a lame comment that you know isn't worth reading, please just keep it to yourself.

3. ponage

ponage Member

hello i was trying to mod for halo 2 and really fucked up i did splinter cell and all that and got the blue xbox dashboard with all the stuff like create backup and install softmod but then somtin happend i didnt have action replay card in my controller wen i went to get on live ande it went to trouble shot right away and then said ur xbox needs service then in a whole bucn of diff languaes and it had 21 on the screen so i think that is error 21 now i have so i thoght if i deleated all the linux files and stuuf it go bak to normal but i got this evolution x dasboard and i want to restore it to the regular green dasboard and try to mod agin somone please help i think i need and ftp but not sure.

4. brandonk

brandonk Member

to ZePheRoS,

hey wat up. i was just wondering after u mod ur xbox can u still get on xbox live(not using mods)and not still get banned

5. DrDee107

DrDee107 Guest

ok..when i try to download ppf-o-matic and map reisgner..map resigner sez "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Cick on OK to terminate the application". and when i try to open PPF-O-MATIC, nothin happens at all..im sitting here watign and nothins happening.. so please help me ive been trying to mod up for a month or 2 now
    and i know that im soposed to download .NET Framework...and i did that but nothing works..or just can just give me a link to download .NET Framework

thanks

Spongy DrDee

(gamertag)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2006
  6. DrDee107

DrDee107 Guest

thankyou!!

i think it worked..but when i try out warlock..it sez "you failed to load the map"

what can i sdo to fix it

spongy drdee

(gamertag)

send friend request

7. parrotboy

parrotboy Member

How do you go about uninstallation of these maps?

8. Joe1019

Joe1019 Guest

ok so ive followed the tutorial till i got up to the ppf-o-matic it doesnt work it doesnt load and the map resigner doesnt work either so if u can help then plz do because i have no clue wat to do

9. parrotboy

parrotboy Member

Never mind, I have it taken care of. Thanks for the great tutorial, though!

10. softmodd

softmodd Regular member

If it says "You have Failed to Load the Map" then that means you probably forgot to resign it. And you need the .Net Framework if your programs fail to initialize which you can get at www.XX360XX.com .

11. playhalo2

playhalo2 Member

when i try to drag and drop the files nothing happens... the bar doesn't even turn orange like it's loading. do i have to drag the folder or the files? thanx for the awesome tut hardly any others give a site for the files... lol

12. ravager07

ravager07 Member

hey i cant get flashfxp to connect to my xbox. it says "connection refused" can anyone tell me how to fix this PLZ!!! btw very nice tutorial :)

13. brmcm15

brmcm15 Guest

IM trying to drag and drop those files for splinter cell on to my memory card, why does it say this and how can I fix it?

8IIIIIIIIIIIIID

14. Spinner

Spinner Member

pfnoobs no longer works if anyone knows an alt site please post,
    Make sure you get the files that Z posted and drag them into the pc database first then onto the mem card

15. Spinner

Spinner Member

Did you leave your x box on? if so is the ip correct?

16. ravager07

ravager07 Member

well yes and no, i couldnt find the ip address in the evolutionx dashboard so i went to the ms dashboard and found it then rebooted the xbox and used splinter cell to get into the evolutionx dashboard. then i used flashfxp and typed in the ip address, the username and pass. (xbox xbox) and then flash said that the connection was refused.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  17. azzidrain

azzidrain Regular member

I believe this is against the rules since both sites you have to register at to get the 'requirements'. And the fact that this guy posted this and has not returned to answer anyone elses questions.

18. Spinner

Spinner Member

I assume you mean me.....is it against the rules for me to answer questions? don't know I just registered with the site today however I've been reading the postings for a few months and have done the mods myself 1.to answer the other guys questions you have to have the xbox on in the modded dash board to link to flash fxp 2. if I'm not allowed to answer questions let me know and I'll stop

19. azzidrain

azzidrain Regular member

No, I was talkin about the original poster. The rules state that you cant forward someone to your site. This guy has left this tutorial 'open' persay and 1)he's making it so you have to go to his site and REGISTER, 2)his site violates the ToS of invisionfree, 3)the tutorial is made around his site so you cant finish the tutorial without HAVING to go to his site and register.

20. jebusxxl

jebusxxl Member

ok i have a problem here, i get up to the part where u click check points after loading the save, then the screen freezes and no dashboard comes up, any advice?