1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software and/or Hardware Advice

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by RadioJoe, Mar 17, 2005.

1. RadioJoe

RadioJoe Member

Hello Gang:

As you see, I'm a newbie. Before I ask my first question, I want to say thanks to all for sharing your extensive knowledge. I hope to return the favor sometime in the near future. This is a great forum!

THE BASICS: My phone is a Motorola V220. I’m on Cingular Wireless. My computer is running Windows-XP under fat32. The reason I’m not running NTFS is due to some other programs.

THE SETUP: Here’s my situation... I installed Mobile Phone Tools version 3.11h on my computer and I have successfully transferred files (image and audio) back and forth from my phone to my computer. Prior to installing mPT, I installed the P2K drivers.

I wanted to create theme files so; I installed Media Manager on my computer. Obviously, that program only creates the theme files. It doesn’t transfer them to my phone (at least that’s what I understand.)

In addition, I have installed PST 7.1.1 GENERAL.

THE PROBLEM: Now, the phone tools will not recognize my phone, and Windows sees the phone as a new device each time I plug it in. Windows also sees the phone as ‘Other Devices.’

I have read in this forum, I need to set my phone on COM port 4. It seems that my computer will only recognize COM ports 1 and 2. It does not list any others. I'm not sure what port it saw when Phone Tools was communicating with my phone.

THE QUESTION: Before I start all over and start deleting programs, do I have the necessary programs to do what I need to do? That need is... (a) access the audio and image files on my phone; (b) access my address book on my phone; and (c) transfer theme files to my phone from my computer via the USB connection. Other features like changing the phone start-up and shut-down screens would be nice, but are not critical.

If you can help me with this problem I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

UPDATE:

I uninstalled PST and regained communications with the phone and mPT.

I found P2K Tools (version 0.6.4.12) and installed it. NOTE: What a great program. Bezols’s has done a super job. Now, with P2K Tools, the program will recognize the phone in the AT mode, but not in the P2K mode. If I select 'Connect' in the P2K mode, Windows goes to "Found New Hardware Wizard."

Checking the device drivers, the phone has now moved from the Modems category to 'Other Devices.'

Should I look for an older version? Am I using the wrong USB driver? (version 2.1.0.1 from 10/3/2003) Any advice on the fix would be appreciated.

In addition, I discovered if you select the Russian language by mistake, you’ll need to change the LNG file name and restart the program to get back to English. Is there an English language file out there? Has anyone created a help file for this program?

Thanks!

2. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

okay, what to keep from software is the MPT and the P2K thats all u dont need anything else unless u wanna flash or flex ur fone then u need the PST...

there is somewhere in these forum a usbmodem driver but cant remember where so try to find it and install it, and if u didnt find send me ur email via pm and i'll send it over....

3. RadioJoe

RadioJoe Member

[bold]Mossy:

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like you are correct. I do not need the PST program. I will not need games and java programs. I am more into ringtones, graphics and customizing the phone.

I'm using the USB to mini-USB cable. I installed the new driver (it's from 2004) and... it did not change the problem. P2K Tools is Okay in the AT mode, but when I switch to the P2K mode, it drops the connection to the modem.

Once again, after this occurs, the phone has now moved from the 'Modem' category in the computer Device Manager to 'Other Devices.' Of course, mPT will not work after this happens. If I reboot the computer, it returns to its original position (under modems.)

I'm wondering if it would benefit me to install the P2K manager program.

Also, I found a forum post of "Getting PST to Work in Windows XP" tutorial. In it, there is a mention of changing some of the reg. key settings. I'm wondering if that needs to be done.

It seems that I'm sooooo close to getting it right. If you have any more ideas, let me know.

Thanks for your help and input.[/bold]

4. RadioJoe

RadioJoe Member

5. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

well my advice to u is to delete the drivers from ur computer and make sure to delete them them by logging in safe mode and then install them again and c how its going,,,,,,

6. RadioJoe

RadioJoe Member

Mossy:

That didn't seem to work either. I'm thinking I may need to install and older version of P2K Tools.

Also, what is the correct proceedure for installing the P2K drivers?

I’ve uncompressed the files into the folder: c:\Drivers\P2K Drivers

This folder consists of...

cdma1x.inf
    motclub.com.gif (why do I need this?)
    p2k.inf
    P2k.sys
    USNMOT2000.INF

Thanks again!

Joe

7. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

does ur fone connect with the P2Kman??

anyway try this driver
    http://anton.tbg.ru/files/p2kman.zip

UPDATE: i jusr remember thing, open the P2Ktools and go to Options>Configuration

and put it on com 3

that should work....

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  8. RadioJoe

RadioJoe Member

Mossy:

Thanks for the input. I have tryed the setup change and the only com ports available are 1, 2 and 4.

My response may be a little slower. I hosed my windows by screwing with the registry. I've had to rebuild a few things. I installed a recent reg backup, but it still lost my custom settings.

The driver installed on the modem (that's how windows sees the phone) is a SUSTEEN, dated 01/21/2004 and it is version 2.1.0.1

Joe

9. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

does ur computer detect ur fone as a modem only?? i mean if u go to the device manager it should be on the modem and as USB....

10. RadioJoe

RadioJoe Member

Mossy:

No, it does not show both.

Here's an update... I installed MotoKit version 1.06 and it TOO blew out the driver when it attempted to connect.

This tells me the problem is not exclusively an issue with P2K Tools.

The problem is either a) the driver, or b) a key string in my registry.

Joe

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  11. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

then i guess u have two options

remove all ur motorola drivers from ur PC through the safe mode and install them and c how its going!!!

OR

u have to format ur computer and install ur windows and uodated and install the drivers.....