1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software Conflicts -- Which Apps are OK Working On The Same PC?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by deeswift, Jan 25, 2004.

1. deeswift

deeswift Member

The question is in the title.

I wanna know which programs are happy being installed on the same system, and basically, am I OK to install Record Now MAX / DX if I already have Nero 6, Alcohol 120% and Clone CD?

2. deeswift

deeswift Member

Nobody can tell me? I thought you were pro's on this board! Wack!

3. drchips

drchips Active member

Hmmmm...

That attitude is SURE to get people to help.

Not everyone can expect an answer within a few hours.

Your question is also a little vague and wide-ranging - there must be millions of possible combinations if you take into account all the little programs and services running in the background.

If you can try to be a little more patient, AND give a little more info (what O/S?, is packet-writing installed?, basic machine specs? what other s/ware is running on the task-bar? etc.), I am pretty sure one of us will get round to helping you.

Oh, Welcome to our little (but very quickly growing) community.

Have Fun...

4. deeswift

deeswift Member

hmmmm... my "attitude" was actually just light hearted, sorry that you missed that and took me so seriously.

I have been sat here needing help for "a few hours" (actually about 6 hours) and I need to install a couple of things so I can move on.

Services running in the background are mostly turned off, I use Black Viper's XP Pro services tweaks (following the 'SAFE' configuration). With that, you can see I'm on XP Pro and I know a fair bit about both PC's in general and this operating system.

Packet writing is installed (as far as I'm aware), but I fail to see what relevance the machine specs are to my question. The question I asked was regarding software, not hardware. Anything that's running in the taskbar would probably be turned off while burning CD/DVD, but most of the time I have NOD32 v2.006 AntiVirus (none of that Norton garbage) and Sygate Personal Firewal Pro v5.5 running (none of that ZoneAlarm garbage). That's irrelevant, I can turn those off to help minimize CPU usage while burning discs.

The burner is Sony DRU 510AK, freshly installed about 2 months ago (and it's great).

But basically, I can't be much more specific that "am I OK to install Record Now MAX / DX if I already have Nero 6, Alcohol 120% and Clone CD?", which is a quote from my original message. It's a fairly straight-forward question, I expected a fairly straight-forward answer. Something along the lines of "Yes", or maybe "No" would have done the job.

Sorry for my impatience, sir, but one or two of my messages that I posted in the past were completely ignored, so I felt the need to bump.

Thanks for the welcome, btw, but I've been using this site for a long time, I just don't ask many questions or post often. Don't worry though, I'll ask on another forum, people around here seem quite uptight and it I think this tends to drive some people away.

Bye.

5. drchips

drchips Active member

As you wish..

When posting, all the "usual" extra cues that would normally indicate "light-hearted", like tone of voice, facial expression, stance, body movement etc are missing - leaving only the text posted - what is meant light-heartedly is so easily mis-interpreted through a lack of cues.

A good indicator of humour is self-criticism, which sets the tone nicely, and is easily interpreted.

The combo you asked about WILL co-exist with TWO caveats:

1 - packet-writing (InCD, DLA, whatever) WILL cause problems:
    Nero uses its own ASPI, and the Burn-Engine is InCD aware.
    RecordNow does not use ASPI, it uses the PX-Engine which is DLA aware.
    Neither of the others are properly aware of InCD or DLA.

This means that InCD CAN interfere with the other three (but see below) when a burn is initiated and then a blank is inserted.

The same goes for DLA.

Sometime the IMAPI service can kick-in and lock the drive (rare).

2 - Inadvertantly accessing the SAME drive at the SAME time from TWO differing programs CAN lock the drive solid (requiring a cold-restart) - this is easy to do as the programs tend to default to the last drive used the next time they are started.

NOTE: Nero and RecordNow work well together in this respect - the other two I have not tested fully in conjunction, though I have tested Nero and RecordNow together fully.

Hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck....

Byeee.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I've also used Nero and RecordNow Max together with no problems. For the last several months I've been using Alcohol 120% and RecordNow Max(no Nero) without any issues. I don't ever have the IMAPI service turned on, and I don't recommend it so I can't comment on problems with different packet writing software, except to say that it's best not to use it.