1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software Dvd Upscaler???

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by omegaman7, Oct 21, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ive heard about devices capable of upscaling. Is there a capability with computers (Software) to do the same? Is it Necessary? Is Powerdvd The best option for playback? Because i cant help but think that it should look better on my 20" wide LCD Mon.

2. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

i may be wrong but isnt upscaling what pcs have done for ages...?

in most players you get an option when switching to full-screen whether to change resolution to match video resolution?

if you choose not to change resolution then the video is upscaled to match your computers resolution....

eg:
    video = 720x576, screen = 1600x1200
    with mode-switch = screen res downscaled to 720x576
    without mode-switch = video res upscaled to 1600x1200

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Thanks for your reply. I had a thought about that. But... It still doesnt explain why my pic doesnt look better. Perhaps my decoder is fowling up? Ehhh... When I get my 32" wide, I'll play around somemore. :)

4. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

the thing about upscaling is that it will never make the picture better, it can only make it worse as bad spots will be more noticable.

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I hear pretty good things about dvd upscaling players. And that they make dvds look NEAR hd quality. Any thoughts on that.

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

My main tv does 1080i maximum, and my main dvd player (a Samsung HD-850, awesome quality player) upconverts to 1080i. It's been setup like that for so long that i can't remember what it looked like non-upconverted. However more importantly i don't understand all the lingo re HD tv's, it's like another language to me.

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

LOL, I know what you mean. The info/knowledge isnt coming quick enough. Sitting around on the web isnt doing it for me on this one. Im gonna have to bite the bullet on this one, and upgrade. Experimentation, hands on... is BY FAR the best way for me to learn about this one. I guess I could play with powerdvd a little more. Ive only seen probably 75% of its settings, perhaps im missing something. One things for sure. My crt 17" I used to have looked a little sharper than my acer 20"wide lcd. Perhaps I simply need to play around. Best way to learn! :D And my next is DEFINETELY gonna be Samsung (LCDTV)! I hear EXCELLENT things about them.

8. ads

ads Member

Works well with newer dvds but older ones you dont see much of a diffrence beside the blueray one.. It really depends on the movie you will see it more on some then others..

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Oh yah... thats a given. I see industry laziness all the time. Industry fowl ups as well. Gotta love mass productions! Take the sliders and lost series for example. The original source video COULD be much better. I cant wait to run some comparisons. I love running tests experiments benchmarks. :D

10. Xiaofeng6

Xiaofeng6 Guest

spam removed

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2008
  11. imbibovit

imbibovit Member

Technically speaking (as was said earlier) an upscaling DVD player cannot improve the movie at all. This is true. The amount of data on the dvd is static, and pixels cannot be created out of thin air. The reason that some people say that upscaling looks great and some see no difference is because it depends on the TV they are sending it to. If you have a 720p or 1080p display, then when it receives 480p content from the DVD player it uses its graphics processor to upscale it to its native display resolution. Depending on the quality of the board inside the TV this can be done very well, or very poorly. The upscaling DVD player simply allows you to separate your upscaling from your TV and (sometimes) get a better result.

This is the same thing that a computer does. And again, it relies mostly on the quality of the video processor.

On a side note, upscaling is NOWHERE near true HD. People that say it is are either delusional or watching it on such a small TV they can't see the difference. I have a 92" HD display and trust me, no DVD looks as good as bluray no matter how you process it.

12. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

well... I would imagine with a MASSIVE 92" HD tv your gonna see major differences. Can you say JEALOUS much? O.0

13. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I assume it's a projector. For about a third of the cost of a typical flatscreen one can get excellant PQ in the right environment.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/frontprojectors/607sonyaw15/

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPL-AW15-BRAVIA-Theater-Projector/dp/B000TXVVBA

And high-definition discs like Hulk and The Chronicles of Riddick (both on HD DVD) popped off the screen just as you would hope. Close-ups were crisp and detailed, with superb flesh tones

14. bryston

bryston Regular member

By any chance, is your middle name "megabucks" ?

Merry Christmas :)

Jo

15. shyune123

shyune123 Guest

spam removed - spamming at Christmas, shame on me

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2008