1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software for capturing AVI

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by scammy, Mar 13, 2004.

1. scammy

scammy Member

What is the best software for capturing from a camcorder (via firewire) to the AVI format?

I am really looking for quality. I know after I capture in the AVI format, I'll use TMGE to convert to MPEG2. Is this the best method?

TIA

2. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

To capture you can just simply use WinDV,(free)
    DVIO, also free.
    or....ScenalizerLive, not free.

You should also check which DV codec you have installed, opions differ in this "area" which
    is best, Canopus, Panasonic, Mainconcept

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Capture from your DV Camcorder will allways be the same Quality because capture from a DV Camcorder is just a direct Transfer of Data from your DV Tape to your Hard drive so the Video Transfer is Basicly Lossless, If you decide to do any editing or adding Filters and Transitions then all of the Parts that have Filters added and all of the Transitions will be Recompressed so it is Good to have a Good DV Codec installed for rendering these Parts of the Video and a good codec is also good to have as some codecs can decode the Video Information more efficiently than others and if your Camera captures useing a Type 1 DV Format your Files will have to be converted to Type 2 DV because encoders Like Tmpgenc do not support Type 1 DV, The Conversion from Type 1 to Type 2 DV is Pretty Much Lossless also and you can download the "Canopus Format converter" on the net that will do this for you and It is Freeware....Cheers

Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  4. scammy

scammy Member

Minion,

THanks for the reply. I have used DVIO to capture from my camcorder. It turns out to be about 12GB for a 60 minute cassette. I plan on capturing (2)-60 minute cassette's and burning them to (1) DVD. Does this sound right.

I noticed when I used TMGEnc to convert my 12GB AVI to MPEG2, it wanted to maximize it to fit in a single DVD. I had to select 50% so I could fit 120 minutes on it.

I'm getting ready to do the 2nd cassette the same way then use TMGe to burn it to a DVD.

Does this sound good?

TIA

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It sounds like you know what to do..Make sure that you Choose "Mpeg1 Layer 2" audio as the audio format when encodeing in Tmpgenc and do not let it encode the audio to LPCM because it takes up Far too much space on the DVD which takes away from the Video Quality...I calculate that you will need to use an Average Video Bitrate of about 4700kbs and an audio Bitrate of 384kbs to maximize the space to get a 2 Hour Movie on a DVD-R and that should Produce fairly good results as long as your source files look good....Cheers