1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software from AfterDawn -- Are They Safe?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by nweissma, Dec 21, 2009.

1. nweissma

nweissma Member

I am always trepidatious when i look for needed new software. the ultimate question, second to relative efficacy, is whether the AfterDawn download is safe. [CNET, as we all know, used to be a font of malware-laced downloads.]

Another concern is whether the software is badly-written, which too will wreak havoc on my computer.

So, are there reports of harrowing experiences with AfterDawn downloads?

2. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

I have downloaded quite a few programs from the links here at aD, and have had no trouble with any of them....and haven't had any virus laden files either.

3. consul

consul Regular member

Using the Internet
    Lesson No1
    When downloading of .EXE file is complete
    Right click and scan with your chosen
    Anti-virus software

Simples! Peeps

4. scum101

scum101 Guest

full t'brim o' malware.. burstin wi'it.. allus have bin an allus will be. appen! XD

Trust No One!! tinfoil compulsory.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

First i've heard of CNet being a haven for spyware riddled software,never had an issue & that's from 2003 onwards so you sure bout that or is this what's on the grapevine & hearsay,like someone already was infected & just coz they installed software from there & blamed it on em.

As for AD never had an issue,same goes for
    zdnet
    tech republic
    pcworld
    softpedia
    source forge
    pcmechanic
    info packets

only place i'm careful is at freewarefiles mostly on the user submitted uploads some of it can be buggy & play games with the comp

EDIT:By the way none of it would be an issue if you'd had drive imaging software,you can clone a drive or partition or just create an image file,in layman terms think of it as an iso file of the installed software
    norton ghost
    acronis true image
    macrium reflect

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  6. girith

girith Member

agree
    no matter where u download, scan it firstly.

7. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i downloaded a file of afterdawn and it didnt have a virus in it.at least i dont think it did dont have a virus scanner.basically anything you download could have a virus in it so a scan is recommended but afterdawn wouldnt intentionally give you a virus and i highly doubt there software contains a virus.they probably check all there software for viruses before making it available for download so your pretty safe.

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I agree!! Trust no one, crack'em open, get the code, build your own!!!

9. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Once you find an app you want, just download it from whoever makes it.

10. scum101

scum101 Guest

a proper operating system goes a long way to helping the situation.. nothing downloaded can run unless I tell it to.. and change it's permissions so it can... and then it can't change anything else.

11. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

We do take security seriously here - after all, you can't run a successful software download section for very long if you don't ensure that the downloads are "clean".

However, couple of tools are labeled as AdWare -- and have a note stating about the fact -- and with such tools, you obviously have to decide it yourself whether you want to have an adware-supported free-to-use tool to your computer or to seek out alternatives.

We do scan all of our software on daily basis for viruses, trojans, etc to make sure that everything is kept clean, despite new versions popping up every day.

12. scum101

scum101 Guest

Yup.. the adware is clearly marked as such.. and I always link people here for things because I know they are checked and clean :)