1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software Overestimating Sizes

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by KaiRea, Apr 23, 2004.

1. KaiRea

KaiRea Member

I've recently installed a DVD ± R/RW on my machine. I've tried to burn a few DVDs since I've had it installed, but with no succes. One disc used a combination of files that added up to a max of 2.5 GB, plus the menu I created, and the other used 2.96 GB. I tried Roxio's DVD Builder, and the trial version of Ulead's DVD Workshop, but both pieces of software are telling me that the files will take up much more space than they actually should.

Is there any reason for this, and what can I do to stop it doing this? The DVD Rs are 4.7 GB. Any help would be good.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Heh, heh, ya gotta love Roxio)

Hi there, KaiRea -

Welcome to the world of Roxio. Around here we say that Roxio can screw up a cold piece of steel.

My suggestion (and I'd say the suggestion of everyone on this forum) would be to delete Roxio as fast as possible. That program is hostile to just about every DVD backup program on the market.

Only AFTER you've gotten rid of Roxio and rebooted your PC to help "flush" it out, then read on - -

Look into DVD Shrink (Free) and DVD Decrypter (Free) as a foundation to your DVD ripping programs.
    Check the guides section and other threads to find the best way to use these two great programs.

Here’s the link for the newest DVD Shrink -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm
    Shrink Guide - you might want to look at this sometime -
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/dvd_shrink_3.htm

Here’s the link for the newest DVD Decrypter -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

You might want to look into Nero as a second burning program, A 30-day, free, fully functional Nero 6 download can be had here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631939541422774.php

cheers,

Pete
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM. GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2004
  3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Yes I agree , all Ive ever read on these forums over the yrs is that Roxio is very problematic at best !!

DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter are free , there are other burning software applications that are free BUT I happen to think Nero is worth paying for to be honest.

Listen to Pete , he knows what he's talking about ;-)

4. KaiRea

KaiRea Member

Thanks for the help. :)

Now what do I do when my software thinks I'm trying to put lots of GB worth of files on a (created) DVD than I actually am? This is the confusing thing.

I tried to use Nero today to copy a small DVD, and while it copied it fine, the sound and picture on the burned disc are worse than the really really bad files you can download from p2p and places, and on a 'proper' player (rather than a ROM), it wouldn't play at all. Have I broken it?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2004
  5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

What kind of media are you using ?

Name, please -
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1.[/small]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
  6. KaiRea

KaiRea Member

Um... Media is:

Infiniti Professional DVD +R 4.7GB/240 min. It's purple on the back.

This is starting to really get to me - I've had the thing since christmas and have yet to burn a DVD that works. They guy that fitted it apparently did a direct copy of one, but it was data not film.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

now are you A) going original to dvdR? or B) making your own compilations up?

A) Dvd shrink (Rip/Re-author/edit/compress/burn - with nero engine) nero is never seen!

B) need more info on what you are doing from start to finish with as much info as pos!!!

then we can shoot along from there!

also you got to love scuba (Welcome to the world of Roxio. Around here we say that Roxio can screw up a cold piece of steel.
    )

i am with this too!

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Stick with us KaiRea, herbsman is the true Guru and me, I'm just a lowly flunky BUT we'll have you burning DVD's in no time flat - (or was that Huuum, time in your flat DVD no, or perhaps it was, "Auuugh", in time we'll be burning your flat or was it DVD in your flat burning time - - "Lordy NO !! I've lost my mind yet another time - "

But first, your education (lol) must continue -

Memorex is a good example as media goes, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, stutters, pixelats, partially jams, may be rejected and lest we forget, our old standby, giving you the old just refuses to be recognized routine :-(

Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “cyclic redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    Ritek G04's or Branded Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.

Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 Branded Verbatim discs or 3 Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR , the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Let's try the right media for the job - just buy a 5 pack of what we recommend that will settle it once and for all - Don’t cheat though, buy the EXACT media we recommended -

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

and now a word from our station master, herbsman -

Cheers,

Pete

9. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Buy some of the media mentioned on this thread KaiRea , ie; Ritek G04/G05 dye or Verbatim blank discs

Then use DVD Decrypter on a film that you know to be under 4.36GB ... in ISO Read > ISO Write mode , like this : http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/small_dvd_2_dvdr.cfm [step by step guide]

Let's see hw we get on with that process , as it's the easiest to accomplish & then maybe we can look forward to intensive DVD Shrink instruction ; )

Selection of media is very important !!