1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software that Resizes Videos

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by DHua, Dec 23, 2008.

1. DHua

DHua Regular member

I have these avi and mkv video files on my computer and when I play them, the height of the video is too short. So there is a large black space on the top and bottom. Do you know any software that would allow me to resize either the avi or mkv video file? Thanks

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

I use avidemux to crop/resize avi's. I'm not sure if it will do mkv's. It works pretty good and using the default settings it will take about 35 minutes (amd 4800 dual core) to reencode a normal 90 minute movie with minimal loss of quality.

The crop/resize tools are in the filters section.

http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

3. DHua

DHua Regular member

Thanks for replying. I was able to save the filter to resize my video, but how do I apply it to the video?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  4. jony218

jony218 Guest

after you apply the filters it will go back to the main screen there are 3 settings to the right, video/audio/format. On video instead of "copy" choose "mpeg-4 asp", for audio instead of "copy" choose "mp3(lame)", and for format you can leave it as an AVI.

This way it will reencode the video with the filters apply.

You can also press the configure button on the video setting, this will allow you to change the encoding for instance make it a 2-pass encoding etc. But usually the default 1-pass mode will give you good results and it's quicker.

If you will be doing any resizing make sure you check the box that says "round off to the nearest multiple of 16" so that the finished video will be in proper avi format. If you crop, make sure the cropping number is an "even" number, this will maintain proper avi format. As long as you maintain proper avi format the video should play on all players that can handle avi videos.

5. DHua

DHua Regular member

I cannot get this to resize my video, after the conversion, the resolution is still the same. Here is what I am doing.

1. Open Video
    2. Select Yes when asked to unpack packed bitstream
    3. Select mpeg-4 asp and mp3(lame) as you said
    4. Select filters under Video
    5. Select MPlayer Resize
    6. Set Width and Height
    7. Check 16 round up as you said
    8. Select OK
    9. Select close on Video Filter Manager Window
    10. Select Save and select location and name of file

Then after the save, I look at the resolution and it is the same as before. Can you please help me with this?

6. jony218

jony218 Guest

I think I know what your problem is now, you don't have to resize your video, what you need to do is crop it.

Use the same program but instead of using the "mplayer resize filter", use the "crop" filter. Make sure that when you crop the black bars that the finished number in the crop boxes are always an "even" number, this should fix your problem.

Every once in a while I run into some of these AVI that have blackbars encoded with the video, avidemux will fix this problem quite easily.

7. DHua

DHua Regular member

But my video does not have black bars on any of its sides. Was the process I did correct to resize the video?

8. jony218

jony218 Guest

When you open it in the "crop filter", you will see the blackbars, from there just adjust it so that only the video is visible, usually you only have to adjust the top and bottom.

When you open the crop filter, move the video fwd/rev slider so you can see the black bars, when you do adjustments, the cropping will be green.

In some situations you might have to resize and crop, but in my situations the cropping was all I needed.

To view in a computer monitor (fullscreen) the video should be in 640x480 but any resolution that is divisable by 8 will get you a fullscreen, the only time you get the blackbars is when the original video was encoded using a resolution that wasn't divisable by 8, this is when you will have to crop the blackbars to bring the video back into compliance.

9. DHua

DHua Regular member

The size did not change when I cropped it either. when I played the video, there was no difference. Are you sure that the process I did to resize it was correct? Am I supposed to save he filter before closing he filter page?

10. jony218

jony218 Guest

As long as you press ok in the filter section it should save the setting, once you are back in the main screen, you need to make sure that the video box is set to mpeg-4 (not copy), if it's set to copy when you go to "save" it will "copy" the original without applying the filters.

You can apply numerous filters at the same time, in the filter section you can press "preview" and it will show you how the output will look.

To speed up the process, cut a 1 minute section of the original video and use that to try out the filters. This way you can find the correct filters and settings quickly without having to reencode the whole video.

11. DHua

DHua Regular member

I actually already cut a 30 second part of my video to test already. There are 3 different MPEG-4. Which one do I select? SO far, I have done everything else correctly.

12. jony218

jony218 Guest

I always use the 1st one mpeg4 asp, that one seems to be the most supported that will play on most media players. For the audio you can leave it on copy or use mp3 lame, again I always use mp3 lame for the audio.

13. DHua

DHua Regular member

I guess I can not resize the video then, unless you or someone else can think of something. Thanks for the help anyways.

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Do you just play the movies on your computer? If so, then you can set the player to display it the way you want it.

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you want to play the movie on a standalone player for example and cannot adjust your TV's picture or the player, you can try AviRecomp for the AVI files( won't work on MKV). It has a Crop and Resize function and a preview window so you can play with the numbers until satisfied.

[​IMG]

16. DHua

DHua Regular member

Thanks for the reply. Avi Recomp did resize my videos. Thanks a lot. But it take take a very long time to do it though, but it works.

17. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Well, I guess you can't have it all...I asked before, can't you adjust the display of your TV/player?

18. DHua

DHua Regular member

I cannot adjust anything on my TV or player. Thanks for telling me about AVI Recomp.

19. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Your welcome.
    Cheers!

20. Brookscbg

Brookscbg Guest

will avidemux works for all OS?