1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

software to change aspect ratio

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by newburn3, Apr 21, 2004.

1. newburn3

newburn3 Member

What software to change aspect ratio from wide screen to full screan? In particular, I am looking for the user friendly softwares.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Good question Newburn3, I was just after this info last night as I hate watching the films with those black lines on the top and bottom, I had a widescreen tv which was ok but it's knackered now :-(

3. Manngo

Manngo Member

Use avisynth. It will do on the fly. You dont need to reencode. Unfortunatelly it is not so friendly to use, but worth.
    http://www.avisynth.org/

4. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Manngo, how does it convert the video? Does it crop the sides or morph the image vertically?

The reason I ask is I usually tell people to get used to widescreen. Forget about the "black bars" and enjoy the movie. There's no reason to decrease the amount of the movie you see just to eliminate "black bars."

5. Manngo

Manngo Member

@ken0042
    It is a frameserving application. it read the frames from the original file, do the defined changes on each, than sends the frame to the application that needs it. This means, that avisynth will be between the .avi file, and eg. your media player or your encoder. Works this way:
    1. You have an avi file lets say movie.avi
    2. You have to create a text file with this:

LoadPlugin(PATH\mpeg2dec.dll)
    AviSource(PATH\movie.avi)
    ChangeFPS(25)
    LanczosResize(480,576)

Here you can add commands eg.
    ChangeFPS(25) --> will change frame rate to 25.
    LanczosResize(^TargetWidth,^TargetHeight)--> will resize your video. Above I resized to PAL SVCD standard.

Than you have to save the file as .avs. Lets say script.avs.

3. Your applications will accept script.avs as an avi file, and it will contain all the changes, you programmed in the vs file. Tmpegenc also can open and encode from avisynth script files.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004