1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software to edit capture without re-encoding?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ugc, Sep 11, 2007.

1. ugc

ugc Regular member

I have the capture recorded to my pc in mpeg 2 720x480. The capture looks great, but I can never start and stop the recording on time to where I just have the movie.
    What software could I use to cut off the crap in the beginning and end without re encoding the whole thing? I have vegas video, but it re encodes the whole movie, which takes another two hours.

2. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

3. ugc

ugc Regular member

thanks moonrocks.

one more question. I thought about this...is there a software that will encode to divx or xvid that will let me set the start and end points.

what is happening, the original capture looks good. after vegas re codes it, it looks blurry, and I convert to xvid. So, I could solve this in two ways..1) edit before encode to xvid or 2) edit during encode to xvid.

any thoughts?

*edit*
    moonrocks> That videoredo looks great. Thanks for the link. Just wondering, is there a freeware software that will do the same thing?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  4. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

If it was me I would first edit the mpeg then aftwards re-encode it. As for free software, you should be able to get Virtualdubmod to trim an mpeg file and encode it to XviD. It's not as easy to use for editing as VideoRedo, but it's free.

5. ugc

ugc Regular member

you got it. I am going to give videoredo a shot (because it looks perfect for the job and ALL the reviews are outstanding), then convert to xvid.

thanks a million for your help!