1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SOLVED] No Video/USB Keyboard, D-Bracket gets to Boot Attempt

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by TehUltra, Jul 6, 2010.

1. TehUltra

TehUltra Member

Hello, as I have found some parts around I have been attempting to re-build one of my other computers into the giant server case I have laying around. I have it all assembled. When I try to boot it, the D-Bracket (plugged into the JDB1 header) runs through everything and gets to "Boot Attempt", which it should stay on as I have no OS for it yet.

The only problem, however, is that there is no video, or USB keyboard (e.g. pressing caps lock doesn't make the light activate). Historically, this motherboard has had problems with USB keyboards before OS boot, but PS2 keyboards work fine for the bios as far as I can tell.
    I have tried resetting the CMOS (using JBAT1) multiple times, which did not help the problem. The graphics card has previously been tested with the same motherboard, and works.

Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4/SLI (MS-7100)
    CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4400 (Socket 939)
    RAM:
    1 x 1GB DDR 400
    1 x 512MB DDR 400
    2 x 256MB DDR 400

HDD's:
    1 x 40GB SATA
    1 x Old 20GB IDE

Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 4350 512mb

All of the components have been tested working as of earlier. I also tried the Radeon's S-Video port, and the onboard RCA video out, to no luck.

Any help would be appreceated. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Step 1 - try it with the drives and the drive cables disconnected.

Step 2 - pull out the mainboard, put it on a phonebook, and then set it up there.

3. TehUltra

TehUltra Member

OK, I'll try those.

4. TehUltra

TehUltra Member

OK, So I disconnected the drives, and since I had it working in another case I moved it there, and after a few combinations of removing the two 256mb sticks of ram and clearing the CMOS, I got it to boot. However, the only problem is that at the bottom of the screen it says CMOS Checksum Error - Defaults Loaded. Whenever I try setting something in the BIOS after that, I have to redo the process of trying to get it to boot as it fails to reboot after setting the CMOS.
    It is not the battery, as when I went into the bios, and went to "PC Health Levels" (or something to the words of that), it said the battery is at 3.12 volts, and it isnt overheating because the cpu was < 30C, and has an adequate heatsink with new-ish thermal paste.

[EDIT]
    I found that by turning it vertically instead of horizontally it gave me a better success rate. I guess it's just hit or miss at this point.
    [/EDIT]

[EDIT 2]
    Apparently it is a memory problem. Solved.
    [/EDIT 2]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010