1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some basic questions from a newbie!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Echo3111, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Echo3111

Echo3111 Member

I tried search but didn't get specific answers. Hope you Gents can help!

I am a gamer but I recently decided to delve into this new medium... thus I am computer literate but still need my hand held when tackling a new project.

I should have done more research before I spent money. Let that be a warning to fellow newbs. I bought an I/O Magic 4x multi-format, $100, which has worked fine for the limited uses so far. I also spent $70 at Best Buy for DVD Copy Xpress. The clerk misled me. He said it was a multi-function burning program and of course it is VERY basic.

I might try to get a refund on this premise (should I just keep it?). I heard Alcohol 120 was great for burning multiple files types to DVD as well as ripping protected DVDs. Xpress just rips and burns correct, unless I am missing something?

I bought and copied Terminator 3, was very easy and worked fine. The patch I downloaded from 321 would not let me rip the disc, but it said to try the pre-patched version if I had any problems ripping and it worked fine. I assume I bought a pre-judgement copy and the patch took away the ripper?

Though copying movies is great, my true desire for opening up the wallet comes from another aspect of this hobby. Forgive me if this is the wrong forum, but can anyone reccomend a good newbie guide for burning video files from the computer to DVD for play in DVD players?

For example, I have several television shows I would love to burn to DVD.

What format should the video file be in for the most universal use? .wav? .mpeg? .somethingelse?

What is a good program for saving video under a different file extension, so I can change the format if needed (like adobe does with pics)?

What else do I need to know about this process?

The program that came with the drive seems very powerful, but the documentation is really really light and I don't quite know how to best use it yet. The documentation with Xpress is even worse!!

My main purposes besides copying movies is to put Music Videos and Television shows on DVD.

Is there any questionable legality behind this?

More specifically, is it illegal to download Enterprise or Justice League from K-Lite, then burn it to DVD for personal use?

If so, is it illegal to record said things myself from TV, edit the commercials, and then burn it to DVD? Does that distinction matter?

Can you suggest a good guide (or forum) for recording from TV then transferring to the computer so I can burn it?

I think that about does it for my intial newbie questions. I hope you guys will help and forgive me if these questions step on any toes.

2. manosf

manosf Member

Do you live is US?

3. Echo3111

Echo3111 Member

4. manosf

manosf Member

OK you must know that over there you have some pretty funny laws about TV programms and staff ( I am on Europe). For instance there was a case that some TV channels won about the right of a viewer to use a 'box' that will automatically record only films etc but not the commercials. The laws over there are that YOU DONT HAVE THE RIGHT NOT TO WATCH COMMERCIALS. Crazy?
    I am prep some stuff to answer your other questions. By the way state ? ( i've been for some time at New Orlean at the univercity).

5. Echo3111

Echo3111 Member

Indiana

6. Echo3111

Echo3111 Member

Bump!

Can anyone help get me out here?

7. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Echo,

Here in the US, we don't have the right to back up anything we didn't create ourselves. Period.

Now, unless you go thru the long task of "getting permission from the author/owner/publisher/distributor..etc" you literally don't have the right to copy media material.

It's all a matter of what you believe...so, ask yourself.....what do you believe?

To answer what media type you should save copied shows from, I would choose to use .mpeg.

I found that version to be the easiest to convert to avi, vcd, or miniDVD.