1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some changes (reverting back to old rules) to forums

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Feb 4, 2004.

1. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

After we launched a new layout, we took out some restrictions we had put in place years ago to keep the forums tidier. Apparently the move wasn't very smart and we currently have the record high levels of "useless" posts in forums.

These measures will be re-introduced this week:

-Newbies and Junior Members can't reply to threads that are "dead" (i.e. the last new post in that thread has been posted 60+ days ago)

-Newbies will be forced to see a "splash screen" that will encourage them to read through the forum rules, search for previous posts for answers and to read our guides before they start a new discussion thread.

I do apologize these measures, but the current state of forums would require us to get 60 new moderators and start a new "nazi regime" to clean the forums. I hope that these measures will keep the "garbage level" (by "garbage" I mean posts asking the same questions that have been answered million times in forums and could be located by using the forum search, posts that violate our forum rules, specially piracy rule, etc).

We will also add certain features later on that will allow us to make the forum nicer and cleaner place for people who like to visit our forums regularly. Some ideas include setting a "threshold" (i.e. "don't show discussion threads started by newbies and with no replies" checkbox and a possibility to alert mods to remove/edit certain posts that violate our forum rules).

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Moderators eh.....there a shortage ;-)

Aherm *Cough*

3. dRD

Oriphus :) I'll keep in mind when we nominate more mods later this spring.

And now, finally the "splash screen" is functional for newbies and jr. members. Its annoying, but its supposed to "clean" the forums.

4. taclark

taclark Guest

Boss,

Don't mean to be disrespectful, but your post above says the splash screen would be for newbies, not juniors. The restriction stated for both newbies and juniors was not allowing responses to dead threads.

But what the hell. . .do what you want. . .you will anyway.

5. dRD

taclark: Basically the extension to Jr. Members partially links to the fact that we changed our "promotion structure" about a year ago. Previously we "promoted" members manually, based on the "quality" of their posts, but have since moved to simply promote the newbie -> jr -> member part automatically, based on number of posts.

And the splash isn't really that annoying, it simply states that you should first check if the question has been asked previously or not.

But we considered this decision quickly and decided that the splash will be applied to newbies only for now and see if it is effective enough. But if we think that it should be extended to jr members as well, we'll do that -- hopefully there's no need.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Petteri Pyyny
    Webmaster
    http://AfterDawn.com/

Please read our guides before posting questions! Guides are available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/[/small]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2004
  6. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

do u really think that a note is gonna make a difference to quotes like"whats css" and "hey i put my x box game in my pc and it did not work?" ,or the most ANOYING of all "where do I get evolution x from"

there just gonna ignore the note, the only way your gonna get them to stop making posts like the ones above is to splash them with entire guides.

7. dRD

lcarbutt: Analogy is this: They've been told and if we decide to be nasty, we can ban them as they didn't obey.

8. gmc

gmc Member

Don't mean to be disrespectful, but your post above says the splash screen would be for newbies, not juniors

Newbies would that include all us aol members that have been here since "Moby Dick Was Minnow" but have not been allowed to post. This kind of thing seems unfair, I should be listed as a senior member but i have joined and re-joined under so many names under Juno,etc. but was never allowed to post because of aol as my ip but no big deal it kinda feels good to be called a newbie at 53 years young he! he!

9. dRD

It is only for newbies, I changed it two days ago.

10. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

can u become a mod of like only a couple forums...(ps2 and like dvd or something)

11. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Nah... a mod is a mod is a mod (unless things change) but naturally some mods will stick to certain topics rather than others :)

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

DVDXCopy Moderators only...

13. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I partially agree with the 60 day limit. However it has been quite fun bring back old chit chat topics in the Saftey value and All other topics forums. But in other areas I can see this being very usefull.
    You don`t want to be a Mod Oriphus, they you will disapear into the place Dela went. He goes from 5000 a second, to I rarly see him in threads. You don`t want that to happen to you.

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I wont disappear. Sometimes when im busy i dont get to post much, but generally i make an effort to go on for around half an hour each day or maybe more, if my social life permits.

15. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Ive been on forum break Prisoner, till June 2004. Just finishing school and stuff. Havent had the internet at home for a while either, but ill be back again! Writing guides at the moment! And Oriphus, of course you want to be a mod + you deserve to be one, but remember, its your life you are signing over to this "fellowship of mods", where we must all bow to the Admin Lords! lol Anyways, you definately have my vote :)

16. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I was hoping that comment would drag you out of hiding. How is school going? Don't going into complete shelter. Oriphus with mod powers, I don't know if the world is ready yet. But might be good, You have my vote.

17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Cheers Dela, good luck with all the school work. Look forward to seeing you soon some time mate ;-)

18. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

hey cool... finally less things for me to answer.... man i wish i was a mod... on the other note about that newbie thing i think it's quite fair cuz im really sick of all them posts asking about a chip or a game or "whats my ps2 version"... whatever boss wants he gets right?... the less newbie crap the better i say... atleast it will give them something to look in... thats whats search is for... in anyway im happy with it..

19. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

newbies == traffic so dRD loves newbies ;-) its useless to complain, tehehehehehe

Anyways, School is going fine prisoner, so good actually that i left to finish it at night instead ;-) lol my isp are still a bit fucked up in the head, still waiting for my internet to come back, so im not exactly a jolly irish man at the moment!

I'll be back, and when i come back ill be bringing a lot with me :p :)

20. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Good to see that school is good Dela. Are you still awake or you in a Web pub? How long can use a Internet cafe before they kick you out?