1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some changes (reverting back to old rules) to forums

Discussion in 'Forum announcements' started by dRD, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

u can use till closing time but ull fucken pay for it lol! my uncle owns the place so i help him with stuff over time and everything so he wouldnt charge anything near the normal price which is cool!

And i think u read wrong, i left school dude ;-) lol im looking for work now, think i might have a job waiting if i want it working with a property agency! So thats cool, anyways, still waiting for net at home, ill be back :)

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I thought you were in University for some reason and switched to Night classes. Now I rember your about 17 so little early for Univesity night courses. I hope you land a good job, IS a property agency like a in realistate or is it something completely different? If worst comes to worst, you always come here and work in my hospital. There always looking for good victims, I mean volenters.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, it is like that Prisoner. Good luck on the job hunting Dela...

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Prisoner, this property agency kinda has their own housing + they also work on behalf of about 50 landlords or so. I have to call them within the next few days and talk to a dude called peter who owns the place :) I think they are also looking for a website so i gotta crawl my way in there aswell! :)

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Sounds good. Good luck on the interview. But a word of advice, when talking to Peter don`t call him dude. Buisnessy types kind of frawn on that.

6. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

everyone just chill, ya need to calm down, if we all took life as seriously as this we would not have invented malibu

its seriously easy going

7. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

From Oriphus :

Hi. I'm an XCopy Mod (sort of). Your link doesn't help anything, Oriphus.

"For DVD Back up info:"

http://media.fastclick.net/w/get.media?sid=9388&m=5&url=http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk

It's just another of many competitors to A/D. Don't need it. Can't see a whole lot there that I can't find here anyway. Or Doom9's. Or DVD-Digest. Or ..... Not that I looked hard, because the site you linked to is so full of FRAMES, it turned me off completely.

There will always be backup sites.

Was there any particular reason you directed this specific site to the XCopy Mods? We are [bold]all [/bold] more than aware of the alternatives (all of 'em) to XCopy products.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Um...im not sure i follow you at all. To address the first one, the quotation you have was in reply to this:
    I was giving an example of someone who sticks to certain topics, like a DVDXCopy Moderator - who generally sticks to DVDXCopy. Or the modes who stick around the PS2 forums mostly...

Im not sure what you thought i was linking to? The website in my signature is my website where i make simple user guides and media tests and a few other things to help people get into DVD Back-up. I wasnt supplying it as a link in any relation to this thread, its always in all my threads. Im also not trying to compete with A/D, in fact, most things link back to A/D through that site, such as the forums link.

To finsish up i wasnt aware i had directed any mods to the site - its mainly used for newbies. i understand the frame issue with it and im going to work on that to solve it. It is quite annoying. im thinking of learning Macromedia for websites (i know director).

Thanks
    *A confused Chris*

9. A_Klingon

Dear Confused Chris,

(I'm terribly sorry, big fella). It may be indeed that I skimmed over your message in too much haste.

The message of yours which I replied to was ultra short, and I just (somehow) took it that you were pointedly suggesting to the DVDXCopy Mods in particular that we should check out the link (didn't realize it was your own site) for important info we (might) never be able to find elsewhere.

Did not in any way mean to detract from the work you have done. (Terribly sorry).

But Chris....... (oh yeah)...... just my .02c worth - I really really really hate multiple frames. Notice how this site avoided them with the new layout? Even the old layout never had 'em. Many of us, like me, are stuck with dialup modems, and frame piled on top of frame, aside from cluttering up the screen, take much longer to load.

Simple is always best. (*Whatever* possessed you, Oriphus ??? ) <gg>

Having said that, I believe I owe your site another visit. [​IMG]

-- Klingy --

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - no worries big man, i new it must have been a mix-up :)

Yeah, the frames are a hassle. Thank God i formatted my computer and forgot to save the webfiles, meaning ill have to start over by downloading from internet lol. Im considering attempting it in Macromedia MX Studio, but more likely it will be another Frontpage set-up as i havent a clue about Macromedia (Except Director).

Im going to add a whole Home Cinema Set-up to the website, explaining a lot about various aspects of that.

Hows the DVD-A going, you a converted man? (Get rid of that SACD lol)

11. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

When will you be picking the new mods and who do you have in mind.

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - soon probably - all will be revealed then. Usually it will be Senior Members and Addicts only who will get moderated....only if the forum requires them. Nothing worse than a forum with a thousand mods and no members lol.

13. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

So no members at all

14. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Being a mod requires insane amounts of time and normally people who have Sr. Member or AfterDawn Addict status have sorta proven over the years that they're willing to contribute the required time from their spare time to the forums. And also, we sorta "know" the most senior members of our forums, which eases the task of evaluating who we will promote and for what purpose. Nowadays our mod promotions are based purely on forum needs -- i.e. if one forum room requires a mod desperately and some senior member is active on that forum (not just active, but typically helpful and relatively objective with his -- yes, always his, we don't have any female mods yet -- views/opinions) he has strong chance to get promoted.

But mostly the promotions are based on recommendations from existing mods (to be perfectly honest, I have absolutely no way of knowing what the heck is going on in the forums nowadays -- we get >1100 posts a day to our forums, including Finnish, English and DXC forums -- and I rely on mods to let me know about the situation). And of course they recommend people they know and trust, etc.. So far I've been extremely happy with the mods we've chosen, but obviously sometimes mods need to have this fancy so-called "real life" as well, and they tend to "retire" at some stage for longer periods, which opens a need for new mods as well.

15. sobhy2406

sobhy2406 Regular member

Last edited: May 9, 2004
  16. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Watch out for Grogey - thats a woman on a mission.....

17. A_Klingon

I guess if I put on a pair of nylons and a wig before I logged in, it wouldn't be quite the same thing, huh?

(Maybe no one would notice).

dRD, if you're still there.....

Any immediate (or longer-term) plans for the DXC forum?

Ireland and I were gabbing on the telephone tonight, and we were both sorta wondering, you know. Thnx.

18. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Klingy: There are no plans to modify the DXC forums as of now, even though they're sorta dying slowly. What ideas you've got for them (can move to mod forums or PM if you wish to)? The amount of information is still valuable that exists in the DXC forums, so it would be sad to close it down -- but moving the forums to the "main forums" would also be bit complicated as it would shift the balance of the main forums quite dramatically.

19. A_Klingon

I will send PM, Petteri.

20. Ginia

Ginia Guest

Guess what I paid attention and did what I was told!!! Even after I had done quite a few of them already. I even rephrased my questions to make sure I do not ask a repeated question! (That I could find anyway) The mods know what they are doing! I support you, keep up the good work!