1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some Discs Giving Read Errors?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by J8son, Sep 23, 2012.

1. J8son

J8son Member

I'm using DVDFab 8.2.0.0 to rip a new box set I bought. It's 8 seasons with 5 discs per season leaving me about 40 discs to rip.

The first season went fine, no problems at all. The second season I had issues with discs 2 and 3 stopping in the middle due to a read error. The third season did exactly the same thing on disc 4.

After that, the rest of the entire box set ripped completely without any issues and no errors.

I thought there might be an issue with my DVD drive but I only had that problem on just a few discs. I also tried using a portable copy of DVD Decryptor on those bad discs and it seems that, after many retries, it was able to rip it successfully.

My question is, is it normal for some DVDS to not rip properly because the way they are made? Otherwise it would seem the issue is either with my drive or software and I can't see what those issues would be.

Thanks!

2. attar

attar Senior member

I had it happen on a brand new Master & Commander disk (which played without problems) I ended up scrubbing it with toothpaste and letting the old DVD Decrypter have at it - successfully.

3. J8son

J8son Member

Was is it, I wonder, about DVD Decrypter that works when other programs like DVDFab does not. The only thing I notice is that DVD Decrypter will retry the same sector over 100+ times till it gets it. Slow but surely.

Also, I have not used DVD Decrypter in a while. Was is the best setup? I know there are some additional plug ins that help with the decryption of some of the later protections.

4. attar

attar Senior member

I just use the default settings (Tools > Settings > I/O, I left it at 20 read error retries and unchecked 'Ignore read errors'.
    Since it hasn't been updated for seven years, any newer protection will fail - although I think most TV episode sets will rip OK.

5. J8son

J8son Member

Thanks for the info.

However, I'm still a little stumped. Why would a brand new DVD set, never been opened before, have 3 out of 40 disc give disc read areas during certain VOB files? Whats the significances in these discs that make them different than the others to where they fail?

I think I've confirmed it has nothing to do with my software. Is it the discs themselves? Do I need a better DVD drive (currently I just have a simple Sony Lightscribe DVD Burner).

6. attar

attar Senior member

I haven't seen it often enough to assign a reason.
    Doom9 or Videohelp can probably offer more insight.

7. J8son

J8son Member

In doing this, you may successfully rip the DVD but does that not open the possibilities to having VOB files with errors included in your collection that could cause problems later? I assumed this feature helped alert you when something was not ripped successfully.

8. attar

attar Senior member

The unchecking of the box ensured that I would notice a problem.
    If I had let it skip over the errors, the backup may have still played ok because I find standalone players to be forgiving - else the disks you get from the public library would never playback.
    If the case was that I had a number of disks in a set that had read errors, I would be asking for an exchange - but I haven't seen that.

9. J8son

J8son Member

Actually, yes thats what I meant. I thought ignore errors was checked by default and I needed to uncheck it.

However, if I did check "ignore" am I correct in assuming that the DVD could finish ripping but with corrupt VOB files?

10. attar

attar Senior member

My understanding is that it writes 'zeroes' in place of the missing information.
    Depending on the amount of missing information you might see a glitch on playback that lasts a frame or two.
    Like this:

[​IMG]

That was caused by zeroing out a few bytes of an mpeg file.
    It affected one frame and if you blinked you would have missed it during playback.

11. J8son

J8son Member

Is there a log file I can check to see if the read errors did occur before I move the folder to my collection?

12. attar

attar Senior member

Tools > Settings > Events > 'On exit' > Save the log file
    I don't know if that information is in the log.

13. J8son

J8son Member

I see. Thanks for the info! I do have one final question regarding the disc read errors.

Most the box set, as I said, was done with no issues using DVDFab, which is my preferred method.

On one of the problem discs, I used DVD Decrypter and, even though it took FOREVER, eventually it spat out the finished rip. This was with "Ignore Errors" still unchecked.

Can I assume that in this instance, even though it struggled with it that the VOB files ripped from this disc are fine? It gave me no notices or errors but made a lot of noise in the drive and took about x4 times longer than usual.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  14. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

15. attar

attar Senior member

If the size of the ripped vob was the same as the source, it had to have the whole file.
    IIRC, once it reached the default threshold (20 times it tries to rip the file?) it pops a message and lets you skip that file.
    It continues to rip the rest, then you can go back and tell it to decrypt the problem child again.

16. J8son

J8son Member

I see. Actually, allow me to use one of the discs from above as an example:

Disc 3 of Season 2 gave me a read error with DVDFab. I fired up RipIt4Me/DVD Decrypter and tried it again. However, using this method (even without the compression steps) it probably took 45 minutes. Also, the disc was REALLY noisy. But, in the end, it did finish without giving me any error prompts.

Is there any reason to think there is anything corrupted with this disc providing I was not alerted to any issues, even though it gave me so much trouble?

17. J8son

J8son Member

Double Post

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  18. attar

attar Senior member

I don't have the knowledge to give an informed answer.
    Probably better to pose that at Doom9.