1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some help deciding between dl and sl

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by higgy13, Sep 10, 2004.

1. higgy13

higgy13 Member

I'm about to purchase my first burner drive and I'm having a hard time deciding if I should go with an double layer or single layer. I know that right now the dl isn't exactly economical, but if I have this drive for the next few years is it something I may serious want the option of having. On the other hand I could go with a single layer and be able to have better speed at 12x. I'm most likely going to get a plextor(sl) or pioneer(dl or sl), so I'm sure I'll be good either way. I just can make up my mind, so a little guidence would be appreciated. thanks

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi higgy13, If I were to replace my Pioneer 106D today it would be with the Pioneer dual layer drive even though I would never pay the price they are asking for the blanks at this time. I'm sure in the near future the price will start to fall. Just my way of looking at it.

Jerry

3. Khrondor

Khrondor Member

Buy the Pioneer, it can do 4x speed, the rest are only 2.4x. Its $95 online. and the rest of the speeds on cd's and 4.7 gig DVD's are real good. Ive burned 2 cd's and 30 4.7 gig DVD's without any problems. So basically ask yourself do u want to save $20 or so not getting dual layer? Buy the DL media later if u want.