1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions for dRD (newbie again)

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by tpapag, Jan 21, 2002.

1. tpapag

tpapag Member

dRD,I have 4 more questions for you please.
    1.Do you think Hauppauge WINTV PCI is a good card?
    2.With this card,can I capture at 704x576 as you proposed before (thread:Newbie questions)?
    3.The maxinum resolution when I want to capture depends on the card or with Virtual Dub I can choose any resolution I like?
    4.Is it possible to capture a 2-hour video from a VHS tape,and then burn it to one cd?How can I do this?

Sorry for my stupid questions...

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I really don't know about that specific model, but I assume it supports the full PAL or NTSC resolution. Could anyone confirm this, Hauppauge's site sucks?

Only thing what it seems to lack is S-Video input, but most of the people don't use that one anyway (it gives you better picture quality from i.e. VCR if your VCR has S-Video output).

I would recommend using AVI_IO for capturing purposes and use "real" resolutions when capturing -- full TV resolution (704x576 or 704x480). Anything else has to resize the picture when capturing and that drops the quality.

Yeah, you just capture the video using non-lossy format like M-JPEG -- takes few gigs of HDD space -- and then encode the video using DivX 4.12 2-pass technique and shrink the movie to one CD. I would still recommend using 2 CDs for appx. 2hr clip. DivX-quality stays nice when you stick appx 60-80mins of video to one 74min CD.

Although, if you want to make CDs that play with your regular DVD player, use VideoCD or SVCD formats instead of DivX. Those take slightly more space, 2hr movie takes 2CDs in VCD format or 3CDs in SVCD format.