1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some subtitle questions

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by WhoFriend, Dec 25, 2005.

1. WhoFriend

WhoFriend Member

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers this.

1)Can I only add subs to downloaded movies? I have several movies on my HD that I backed up and would like to add viet subtitles. Can I do this.

2)Is there a guide anyone has that is really simple?

3)What software do I need

4)I read that I would have to type all subs by hand, but I see sites where I can download subs?

Again thanks

2. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

1) You can add subs to ANY video file. For instance I added subs to personal home videos so as to narrate a history

2) A guide for what purpose specifically? For adding subs? It depends on which software you're using...

3) Again. It depends what you plan to do. If you want to add subs to a movie then you need an authoring tool that allows subs, such as DVDLab Pro. If you want to modify or alter subs then you need something such as Subtitle Workshop

4) Sorry. In the ofrum rules it is specifically clear not to mention anything about where to download subtitle files.

Hope it helped!

3. WhoFriend

WhoFriend Member

1) So you're saying that I can back up a movie w/ a program like DVDShrink and add subs?

2)Well what would be a good program, please suggest one. ANd yes for adding subs

3)I would like to add a diff language sub that isn't in the original. What would I need then?

4)I'm not asking where to download subs, I already know. It's just that I've heard that I would have to hand type teh subs. ANy truth to this?

4. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

1) DVDshrink is NOT an authoring tool, it's a tool for back up. What you need to do is to extract everything to your hard drive with a tool such as DVD Decrypter, for instance and then demux it (there are guides in these forum about how to do this). Once demuxed you need to create a new project with an authoring tool such as DVDLab Pro, import the audio & video previously demuxed and finally add your very own desired subs.

2) If you want to add subs with DVDLab Pro there are, apart from the manual included, several tutorials at http://www.mediachance.com

3) For modifying or creating subtitles: Subtitle Workshop. For adding your subtitles to a DVD project: DVDLab Pro (or another authoring tool which accepts subs such as MovieMaker I think)

4) Hand type subs? If you already got the subtitle file in the desired language, there's no need to type anything but correcting mistakes I guess

5. WhoFriend

WhoFriend Member

Thank you for all that, you've really cleared some things up for me. A few more questions though.

I can't find anything on demuxing on the guides page. After I rip it w/ DVDDecrypter can I still run it through Shrink?

6. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

IIRC shrink can import files from either a disc-drive or your Hard drive. Simply tell Shrink in which folder your files are.

Demuxing is, very shortly, splitting the audio and video files comprised in one file onto two separate streams. To do so you need a program such as PVA Strumento. DVDLabPro can also demux it for you.

7. WhoFriend

WhoFriend Member

Thank you, Is there a freeware that will do all, or even most of what DVDlabPro can do? I looked at the site you gave me and it had DVDLABpro listed at 200 dollars, or something like that. Also, what does IIRC mean? I dl'ed the sub and it appeared as a .txt file. And what is subrip? That's what it said under format on the site.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  8. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

DVDLab Pro has a 30 day trial. There are other programs which can help you author your program and add subtitles for free. IIRC there was one MovieFactory or something like that. Ask in the authoring forum for more info. I've used other authoring tools in the past but I've sticked to DVDLab Pro for months

subrip is the name for the file format .srt

9. thrill

thrill Member

it seems you know a lot of DVDlab pro and ripping movies,k0k0m0!
    can you tell me some things.?. I have burned a lot of movies..but now i whant to store them on my pc..every movie i rip or download is on 4gb or more! i want to convert this movies to .mpg files ! do they still take 4gb? i want every movie to be smaler then 4gb and still have English audio and Norwegian sub! can i do this with DVDlab pro?

one more thing! how do i Demux with DVDlab pro?
    thanks for all help! need all help i can get ^^

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  10. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

OK...

Let's begin saying that MPG is a compressed file format, same as JPG is for pictures. I do not recall right now the technicalities but the "big picture" is like that.

Then keep in mind that further compression will decrease the total quality of your production. Thus deteriorating the final output.

DVDLab Pro has a tool which will allow you to recompress it further more your MPG file, go to the Menu Tools --> Reduce MPEG Size (DVDLab Pro suggest no compression below 70% to maintain quality)

Last but not least, to demux with DVDLab Pro (try PVAStrumento too) simply import onto the assets bin (the one at the bottomleft corner) the first VOB and wait for a few seconds!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  11. thrill

thrill Member

thanks ^^ but there are always more questions ;)hehe..can DVDlab pro only import .mpeg files? :p i have movies that dont is .mpeg ( i dont know what it is,but it is a media file) im use vcdgear to convert img file and rar files to mpeg, but i cant use it to convert "windows media" files or what it is!

do Adobe Encore DVD only import mpeg files?do you know?

sorry for all the questions i am a beginer in some of this,but i want to learn:p

thanks for all help

12. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

Thrill:

Do not forget that DVDLab Pro is an "authoring tool" for creating your own DVD project. To create a DVD you need DVD compliant files, for videos that is MPEG-2. Then, if you do import a non-DVD compliant file, the program will simply halt and do not further encode.

You need to use an MPEG-2 encoder in order to use DVDLab Pro. Try Canopus Procoder or TMPGEnc for instance.

I do not know anything about Adobe Encode DVD, sorry.

If you read my signature you'll realize the only way I know this little is asking and testing. So do not hesitate to ask!

13. thrill

thrill Member

ooooh my! hehe..some thing are clearing up but not all!

bu tell me one thing, isn't there just a program that takes every media file and "hardcode" the sub in to the movie?

something like: you add the movie in too the program and select the sub you want an in (find the sub on the net,srt file or something)
    after that you just click on a buttom and it whil "burn" the sub in to the movie!

are there something like that?

can i do this with "subtitel workshop" ? i found out i can put in files there and add sub.srt..but can i save it like a avi or mpeg ect. after ?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  14. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

thrill:

Honestly I do not like permanent hardcoded subs, it reminds me of the times of VCDs. I prefer to toggle subs on-off when desired.

So, as you can imagine, I do not know very well how to do so. IIRC there was a thread in this very forum dated last week where it explained how to hardcode subs using Nero. I remember very well that for creating VCDs with hardcoded subs I used Nero, so I presume that applies as well for DVDs. I suggest you check Nero's help file for more assistance on this subject.

subtitle workshop allows you to do many things with subtitle files but I guess, ain't sure, it doesn't allow you to do what you mention.