1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

somebody please help me!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by portpiro, Sep 30, 2003.

1. portpiro

portpiro Member

i am going to scream

i have been trying to connect my xbox to my PC thru and ethernet card with a crossover cable, i have flashfxp and have followed numerous tutorials trying to connect.

i think the problem is my my IPs, my IP on the Pc is 192.168.0.1, the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and default gateway 192.168.0.1. my xbox seems to usually come up with Ip 192.168.1.200, when i try to connect to this, it says it connects and then disconnects after about 10 seconds. my local connection shows bytes sent but none receieved. i know the cable is cool cos when i turn the xbox off the connection is lost on my screen.

i have clicked off passive sending or whatever and i changed the line status to 10/full duplex, changing to the duplex made changes like it put some DNS figures in my LAN configurations and seemed to change to full duplex on the xbox as well. should i hav changed it to full duplex??

now because i have fiddled around with the xbox IP which was originally 192.168.1.200, it just comes up as 0.0.0.0.

i have tried all these tutorials trying different combinations and i just cant get those damn files to pop up on the right of flashfxp.

my DNS on the xbox is 0.0.0.0, is this right??

all i think i need is for someone to just tell me the exact numbers i need to fill in and where.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!

2. corc

corc Member

Hi portpiro. the reason you cant connect to your xbox is because your xbox is on a different subnet to your PC. If you specify a subnet of 255.255.255.0 it means that thefirst 3 parts of your ip adress should be the same on your pc and xbox. If your Xbox ip is 192.168.1.200 then your PC should have something like 192.168.1.XXX.

Dont know what you did to screw up your ip address but if it auto assigned with evox then wait a while and it will assign a new ip after a while.

3. portpiro

portpiro Member

thanks for your reply mate but i tried doing that and nothing still happened. ive just spent another day trying out different things and i suspect i fucked around with shit again. ill post all the info i can find in the hope somebody can help... here goes...

my xbox says up the top right hand corner Evox:1.8.3752

under system settings i have
    Network
    Type Static
    IP 192.168.1.200 (i entered this as it was the first IP i got from it and it hasnt ever changed, i changed it tho trying out different stuff and i just keep entering it back in ?!?)
    Line Status 100/Full Duplex (i think this changed to this when i changed the ethernet config to this (again trying out different things))
    Ethernet MAC address 00:50:F2:8B:49:1B
    Setup Network Yes
    Use static IP YES
    IP 192.168.1.200
    Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.1 (should this be the same as IP?? xbox IP? CPU IP?? there at all??
    DNS 69.57.146.14
    DNS 69.57.147.175 (these popped up when the CPU DNS figures popped up when i changed it to duplex)
    Setup Delay 5
    Skip Setup if no link Yes

Hardisk: blah blah blah

Bios version x2 4976.02
    Kernel version 1.00.4976.02
    xbox hardware info 00000002 A3 D4

FTP
    enable Yes
    password xbox
    in game reset Yes

Telnet
    enable Yes
    Name EvoX
    in game reset yes

then a lot more crap, ok thats the xbox, now my PC

under network connections in control panel i have

Dial up (my ISP)
    Direct xbox disconnected, shared, parallel (i made this in the wizard under reccommendations, it says it connects when u double click but i dont think anything is going on)
    Lan or high speed internet i have Local area connection, enabled, SiS 900-based PCI fast ethernet adapter(i have had a little success with this connection us it knows when i turn the xbox off and it sends thru the crossover RJ-45, and i can see the little orange lite flashing behind the xbox)

now in my local area connection properties, ive got the adapter, under configure it says its working, under advanced tab the media type value is 100BaseTX Full-Duplex ( i have changed this in the past, tried 10 base and auto config) (is it meant to be 100basetx?)
    ok back to properties, its says this connection uses the following items, blah blah internet protocol (TCP/IP), now i click that, then properties, and under the general tab, the only tab, ive pressed Use the following IP address

IP address 192.168.0.1
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 192.168.0.1
    (i entered these values myself on direction from numerous tutorials and forums)
    under that use the following DNS server addresses is ticked (i didnt put in these values, the PC did after i changed to duplex i think)

Preferred DNS server: 69.57.146.14
    Alternate DNS server: 69.57.147.175

ok now back to LAC properties i unticked the firewall thingy on advice from everyone (should i untick my ISP connection firewall?? i didnt want to and i thought it wouldnt make a difference)

right, now when i open flash fxp, i go to quick connect, i enter the isp i read of the xbox screen, enter the username and password both xbox, leave the port at 21, and hit connect, down the bottom right ahnd corner in green, it says: connecting to 192.168.1.200
    under that it says connected to 192.168.1.200 ->IP=192.168.1.200 (no orange light ever flashed on back of xbox) then the hourglass cursor comes up, after about 10 seconds, in red it says connection failed (connection lost)

i have tried pinging the xbox from the command prompt to no avail, when i type ping local host, that works.

i have tried using explorer to connect instead of flash to no avail.

its funny, i can only ever get that little 'connected' word with the one IP: 192.168.1.200, even tho i set it myself.

if uve read this far uve done well, i just hope someone can help me as i am a newbie and totally lost...

thanks guys!!!

4. corc

corc Member

firstly Default Gateway should be the IP address of the machine you are on i.e. if your Xbox has an ip address of 192.168.1.200 then your gateway should have an IP address of 192.168.1.200.

media type value on the PC should be left at Auto (works fine for me).

Disable DNS as it is not needed and could be causing you problems.

If none of the above solve the problem id try disconnecting my ISP from the PC and just try connect with only the Xbox hooked up.

5. portpiro

portpiro Member

ok ive made the changes but still nothing, this is how it stands

my Ip on xbox is still 192.168.1.200
    but now i changed the default gateway on the xbox to 192.168.1.200

i changed the media type on the ethernet adapter to auto, when i change it to anything, the xbox responds on screen and drops for a sec then changes its line status, at the mo, the xbox says 100/full duplex

i deleted all the DNS figures on the PC and xbox, i cant disale the PC ones tho cos the dot still remains checked after ive deleted them all...

all other factors are the same as message above.

just a quick note i saw the orange light on the back of the xbox flashing when i was trying to connect, havent seen it flash so much b4.

6. corc

corc Member

the only other thing i can think of is your isp connection firewall that is enabled. Other than that im afraid i cant be of any further advice. Sorry dude!

7. -JHS-

-JHS- Member

portpiro, you have to put your pc's ip to xbox's gateway

Computer
    IP 192.168.0.1
    gateway = whatever

Xbox
    IP 192.168.1.200
    gateway 192.168.0.1

Do you use switch/hub ? If not, you have to use cross-overded cable. Otherwise you can use normal network cable.