1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone Please Help!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by fsafsa1, Aug 23, 2004.

1. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

I have a satellite toshiba laptop( same as my brothers) and i have two problems with it.
    1)My system had a lot of unwanted programs on it and was running very slow, so i decided to reformat it. I put in the recovery disk 1 of 3 and its starts to work. Then after about 1-5 % dont it just freezes up and i left it on for a day and nothing more happened so i turned it off. Then i tryed to do it again and the same thing happened, ive tryed doing it many times and every time it freezes up between 1-5% of the way done. I really would like help on this because right now i cant access my laptop because it says missing operating system.HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
    2)In the back of the laptop is where the battery gets charged up and on my brothers it works fine. For some reason on mine it will show that the cord is plugged in but it will not charge sometimes. Then i restart and it will work fine for a little bit and then stop charging. I have tryed changing batteries and the actualy charger that plugs into the wall and it still does the same thing.This is not as big of problem as the first but i would still like to no if anyone has any suggestions of how to fix this.

PLEASE help me out here and either respond in the thread or pm me and i will get back to u as soon as possible. if other information is needed i will be glad to answer questions.

2. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

Also when i start it up it says missing operating system if there is no reformatting disk in the drive.

3. CJC

CJC Regular member

Try getting ur brothers Recovery CD and trying that.

If it does, your CD may have a scratch or something on it.

If that doesnt work, try get a copy of the OS you have and install that seperatly.

Also you may have got a defective Laptop, if its fairly new, take it back to where you got it from and ask them to have a look.

CJC

4. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

i have tried his cd and neither of them work they both freeze up, but i havent got a copy of windows xp home edition. I will get it, but how would it work? Would i just put the cd in the drive and boot the computer from the cd/dvd drive?

5. CJC

CJC Regular member

If you get the Windows XP CD, just put in the CD-ROM Drive, make sure its set to boot in the BIOS, and start the comptuer, then follow on screen prompts.

CJC

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

fsafsa1, If you can get your hands on a Windows 98 or ME emergency start up floppy, you can boot from that and finish the reformat of your HD. Then with the hard drive empty re-try the restore disc. Laptops are sometimes funny if you don't use the restore disc. They sometimes have drivers special to the laptop that may not be on a straight Windows install.

Jerry

7. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

Could you please explain what BIOS are and how i could boot from the BIOS? If i have my brothers laptop is there anything i could take off of him and then try to boot that stuff on mine to get to the desktop.

8. CJC

CJC Regular member

Ok.

BIOS - Basic Input Output System. This provides the basic instructions for a PC's hardware, telling it what to do.

A BIOS on each computer is slightly differnet, from brands, to models, to what socket, to age.

You can usually get into the Bios by hitting DEL when u first turn your computer on.

Once in there, if you find the boot order or boot prefernce, it could have its own menu, or could be under Advanced, it just depends.

Now you should see the Boot order that its at, at the moment, make sure CD-ROM is first off in the boot order, if its not, change it so it is.

Then 'Quit with Saving Changes', have the windows CD in the computer, and it should boot.

CJC

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

fsafsa1, Since you started a restore and the computer attempted to start the restore, we don't know how much of your operating system got erased. Thats why you get the no operating system error. I still think a full reformat is the best way to go which will completely erase the HD and any errors. Then you can start with the fresh HD. Most restore discs I have worked with will boot from a re-formated HD and start the reload. Only trouble you may have is if the restore disc is damaged and not readable.

Jerry

10. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

If you are going to use Windows XP, you dont need to go into DOS to format it.

Just boot from the Windows XP CD, and when asked, Select New Installation, and choose Full NTFS Format (not quick).

CJC

11. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

Jerry, i think only part of the hard drive got erased also, but the disks wont work because i tried them right out of the case and they still froze up. Then i used a game doctor on my brothers and that didnt work either. Is there a program that will let me erase the hard drive without logging on to the computer?

CJC, I put in the disk and booted the computer from the cd/dvd drive and it did the same thing as before saying "missing operating system"and then restarted the computer automatically and went through the same thing again.

Your guys help is greatly appreciated and please continue to help me if possible.

12. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

Ok, here we go.

THIS WILL DELETE EVERYTHING ON THE HARD DRIVE

Get a windows 98 Start-up disk, which you can download from www.bootdisk.com

Put the Floppy disk into the Floppy drive and start the computer, it should then boot to the floppy.

If asked, select with CD-ROM Support.

It will then tell you the Drive letter that it has assigned to the CD-ROM drive.

If it says anything about no vaild partition found, it could be because of NTFS, so dont worry about that.

You should now see A:/>

type FDISK

Select Yes.

From the menu, select option 3 which is delete partition, then if it still has NTFS select Option 4 (Non-Dos Partition), if that doesnt work, select Option 1, Primary Partition, and yes to deleting.

Now go into Option 1 from the main menu which is create primary partition, then option 1 again.

After that it will want to restart, restart the computer and boot back onto the floppy.

Now from the A:/> you want to format C:

type Format C:/u (which will do a unconditional format) and select Yes

Once that is done, If you are going to install Windows XP, type X: (X: being the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive which it would of stated before)then type CD i386
    now it should have X:/i386> type winnt

Windows XP installation should start.

Follow the on screen prompts, and when it askes, Say yes to Convert to NTFS.

Hope this helps.

Also, if it still said Missing OS when booting from the CD, it mustnt be set to 1st in the BIOS, but if you do what i said above, you do not need to do that.

CJC

13. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

I am goin to try what u suggested, but it doesnt have a floppy drive so do u no if it would work with the cd drive?

14. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

Also to u have to pay to get it from www.bootdisk.com?

15. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

please disreguard my last question i got it

16. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

If you copy your Windows XP CD to the Hard Drive, make a boot-able floppy, by downloading it from Bootdisk.com
    And then creating a Bootable CD with Nero, you will be able to boot from the CD, as if you were booting from the floppy.

CJC

17. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

I have a couple more questions for ya.
    1)From the bootdisk page should i download Windows 98 OEM | Alt1 | Alt2 this file for the boot disk?

2) how would i burn it on nero? i clicked the boot98 as the image and then dragged in the winxp iso into the window?

18. CJC

CJC Regular member

Yep, download the OEM one, that should work fine.

Yep, and choosing the Win98 as the boot image, when u select bootable CD, and draging contents across, then burning.

CJC

19. fsafsa1

fsafsa1 Member

I cant get anything to boot, it just goes to a black screen with a white line in the top left. I have cd/dvd drive
    hard drive
    network
    removable devices
    as the boot list and it should be booting from the cd/dvd drive, but i cant even get the win98 to boot up.
    Is there anything u can do to help me figure out how to get anything booted from the cd drive?

20. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi fsafsa1, Sorry, I didn't know your laptop didn't have a floppy. That would have made it easier. Since your PC has to boot from the cd but won't, it may be a problem in the bios. To reset that to the default settings you need to remove all power sources for a few minutes. This means unplug the power cord, remove the main battery, and then you may have to open up the case and find the bios battery and remove that also. Its one of those round batteries about the size of a quarter. Take it out for about 5 minutes then put everything back in. That should reset the bios to default and help boot off the CD drive. If that doesn't work I'm out of suggestions.

Jerry