1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

something is wrong with hdd

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by girron, Mar 2, 2005.

1. girron

girron Member

i have tried everything to install a new hdd. i tried connecting both hdds, tried backing up files and putting hdd in my comp and uploading files. ive tried using an evox bootup disk. nothing seems to work. now i cant even get into my stock xbox hdd. anything else to try besides break the f*ing thing? im seriously stressed and dont know what to do.

2. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

I need a little more info, could be lots of things. sounds like its more of chip issue and not a hdd issue if you cant even boot the retail HDD. The chip could have a bad flash or is not sitting on the mobo correctly. you need to make sure you flash boot sequence is right (is it booting to evox.xbe, evoxdash.xbe, default.xbe etc.). The best thing to do is check if the chip is is good working then find a good boot disk like slayers or firefuckers, then make insert the bootdisk and make sure it works with the retail drive installed, Then power off the box, exchange the HDD and reboot, if everything is good it should boot the disk

3. girron

girron Member

it will work with a boot disc, but i tried an auto installer but nothing happens. i have no files on my original hdd, and i cant transfer any files over. not sure why or whats going on. the new hdd keeps coming up with a hdd error 6, and 7. also i hold down the power and eject button and it takes me to the flashbios screen and i cant choose any options or anything.

4. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

error code 6 means your hdd is not locked and error code 7 means hdd timed out, which means that the xbox is not getting any power to the hdd. The error code 6 is strange to see with the retail hdd, somehow you must of unlocked the retail hdd. you need to lock it back up before you can boot to it. this needs to be done with a loader disk.

I am assuming that if you can get to the bios menu by holding down the power & eject key you are using an Excuter3 chip, I havent had much expericence with them, but my fried has and says they are easy to configure. there may be a chance that the flash you have in your chip is not compatible, try updating to the lastest bios first, then try to boot to a loader disk like slayers or firefuckers. Once you are able to boot the loader disk, you should be good. Do you have one?

5. girron

girron Member

i have an evox installer but none of the two that you mentioned. i also get error 21 and 16 when i use this boot up disc i made. not sure what to do to get it up and running

6. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

the disk you have is probably no good because an error 16 means there is a dashboard error and error 21 means that the box was told to boot with a error message. try to get a hold of slayers or firefuckers, it should solve all your problems

7. girron

girron Member

should i try slayers or firefuckers with the new hdd in? or the original. i have no files and cant put any the original hdd.

8. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

if you are not going to use the original one, then just pop in the new one and forget about the original one and just boot either slayers or firefuckers. they both do the same thing, slayers is exclusively for evox and firefuckers has installers for evox, unleashX (my favorite and current dash), and avalaunch. evolution X is supposed to be the n00b freindly dash, but unleashX seems to be catching up in friendliness and a TON more features than evox

9. girron

girron Member

i made a disk and slayers works for original hdd but when i put the new one in all it does it keeps loading to the flash bios 3.0.1 and saying that the hdd is getting a partition table and it was returned once. what to do?

10. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

are you sure the boot sequence on your bios is correct? If you have a good working slayers disk, it should boot to the disk first before any activity it done to the hdd, so if you are getting any message about the hdd before slayers boots up then there must be something wrong with the disk. you might be burning to bad media. what kind of dvd are you using (brand? + or -).

what kind of chip do you have? A lot of times if the box boots to a bios menu, it usually means the chip has not be flashed at all. are you sure you flashed the chip?

11. girron

girron Member

it boots to the slayers disk when the old hdd is in but not the new. it takes me to the flash bios screen. i try holding down the white button but nothing happens. i have an x3.

12. mdsup

mdsup Guest

you don't need slayer's to setup a new hd...the x3 bios can format the drive for you.

put the hd in...boot up the xbox to configlive, format the hd...then you can put the slayer's disc in and reboot your xbox.

make sure slayer's is in the dvd drive when you turn your xbox on...this will enable the xbox to boot to slayer's rather than the hd.

13. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

thanks a lot mdsup, listen to him cause I am not very familiar with the x3 because I use the x2.

That is a cool feature of the x3 though, I didnt know it could do that

14. girron

girron Member

i tried booting with the slayers disk and it keeps giving me an error 7. i then tried hooking both up and going to the x3 dash to do the new hdd but it gave me an error 7 again. made sure i set the jumpers right and it still didnt work.

15. mdsup

mdsup Guest

if it will boot with your stock hd, my only guess would be that the upgraded hd is bad.

is it a new drive?

16. girron

girron Member

yeah brand new. the other hdd the original wont let me put any files on it. the only thing i think is to put the new hd in the pc and try doing it that way but im not sure.

17. mdsup

mdsup Guest

i don't know what to tell you man...you can try formatting it in the pc...but once that is finished you will need to format it again in the xbox so it will have xbox partitions

18. girron

girron Member

i have a program xbox hardware preparer do you think i should use that?