1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sometimes... DVD Skips...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by arodvb, Jan 1, 2005.

1. arodvb

arodvb Member

Hey, I've been burning movies for a while.. and have recently come across a problem. Some of my dvd's skip at different parts.. they will no longer play straight through. I used DVD Decrypter and then DVD Shrink to burn at 1X with the 'deep analysis.' I burned Mean Girls a week ago, it played perfect, straight through, then I burned Anchorman, and it skips. Is there anything I can do? Im using the same media. Any other programs? Help please. Thanks!!

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Turn off all programs/processes running in the background, especially antivirus apps that kick on periodically. You really should do it through Task Manager and close them out by process because deactivating a virus program doesn't turn off all the other memory-resident shit that loads at startup. Also, if you have Nero, you may want to just have Shrink rip to your hard drive and use Nero to burn. Even though it's the same media, you you looked at the recording layer to see if you notice any physical imperfections? Maybe it's a bad batch.

3. arodvb

arodvb Member

The media seems to be fine. I'll try shutting off all other programs. When using DVD Shrink to rip to the harddrive and then Nero to burn... how exactly is that done?

4. Hitman21

Hitman21 Member

IM having the exact same problem. And I have norton. Could be the anti virus because my sister has the same issue and she has McAfee. I never thought it could be the anti-virus.

5. colw

colw Active member

Are you guys putting labels on your burnt DVD's?

If so, this will eventually cause skipping/freezing problems when played on a standalone.

6. ozy

ozy Regular member

Try ripping with decrypter first. It should only take 10 minutes.

7. Hitman21

Hitman21 Member

No Labels on mine. I just copied 3 movies last night. 3 of the movies that skipped before, and now they dont skip. What did I do different? Take out norton anti virus.

8. arodvb

arodvb Member

I took the advice off these forums, disabled Norton, bought new blanks (Memorex) instead of the cheap ones from newegg. I also keep them in a cd case instead of notebook, and i no longer write on the top of them to label them. I hit EVERY precaution... and haven't had a problem since.

9. Hitman21

Hitman21 Member

How do you Disable norton? I unistalled instead. Couldnt figure it out, I couldnt end task in my task manager

10. arodvb

arodvb Member

I just disable autoprotect and script blocking.

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Could just be a compatibility issue between your media and your DVD player. Try reading the burned disc on your computer using your burner to read. Also try different DVD players or different media. Some media after a few months starts to fail. You're not multi-tasking while encoding/burning are you?

12. tarmac

tarmac Member

I am having the same problem. It will start to play in my DVD player, but it will skip, or just stop and start (not a flowing movie). Have have turned everything off and this is still happening. Could it be a RAM issue? I thought thay maybe it could even be an issue from ripping the original, but when playing the file, it if fine.

13. judyall

judyall Guest

i use a freeware programme called end it all which closes down all non essential applications running in the background the only applications it doesn't shut down is explorer & systray.
    in the past i closed down applications using task manager but that still leaves applications running in the background.

14. Hitman21

Hitman21 Member

Son of a bitch!!! it still happend. only its happening less. I tried it on my XBOX and it played perfectly. Could it be all of our DVD rom player?

15. ozy

ozy Regular member

Try different media like ritek or verbatim.

16. Hitman21

Hitman21 Member

I have ritek

17. ozy

ozy Regular member

remove norton anti virus. Some people say it is good but in my opinion is it is very nosy and sticky beaks in the wrong places therefore corrupts certain apps.

18. Hitman21

Hitman21 Member

I did unistall norton. The movies skip only once through out the hole dvd.

19. geekthug

geekthug Member

I had the same problems for a while. Then I just bought a DVD/CD player cleaner. (I cleaned the player, not the dvd) and everything is much better.