1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sonic My DVD Creates HUGE Files

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Novender, May 24, 2003.

1. Novender

Novender Guest

I created a DVD using 2 .MPG files, they went on fine although they were 300mb each but when they are imported into MY DVD (sonic) they turn into about 1.5gb each.
    How can you fit more space on a DVD using My DVD.
    Using this method Im about 1 hour per DVD which cant be right!

any ideas??

andy

2. L714

L714 Member

hi Novender..

I know what you mean about the "My DVD" ware. I to use it & i've also noticed the same. After trial & errors I tried burning my disc using the "UVS 7" ware, I was able to get more opts. fit more file plus get the 720x240 res & pcm audio for my dvd burns.
    But after all & all, the trade off for my dvd burns did no look as good or compare to the quality as the "Sonic" burns turned out. :(

As of now im looking & plaing around to maybe
    find another DVD ware that can maybe work better & offer more flex.... Goodluck :)

3. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

My guess is that MyDVD is encoding the video at the highest possible bitrate, and using LPCM for audio. If your video/audio streams are constantly over 9Mbps, then you will only be able to hold an hour of video and audio.

The encoder in MyDVD is low quality and low speed. Try using CCE or TMPGEnc and feed the resulting video/audio files into MyDVD for the final authoring. Better still, you may want to consider the new authorware from TMPGEnc. It's got some very nice features.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

4. L714

L714 Member

A quick question or 2, if I may Novender? :):)

Hey jnihil :)
    What do you use for tv capure? Running the ATI 7500 i've tried captures with ATI's the UVS 7 & as of lately the My DVD ware that came with my Sony burner.
    From my testing, on a 32" tv screen, the My DVD ware has looked the best out of all the three wares. But! There still seems tobe room for quality & improvements (pixels & the fuzzy stuff :( ).
    I've read alot about how ppl capture in AVI & then encode to mpeg using TMPGEnc. Does capturing to AVI & then re-encoding to mpeg actually produce a "best" burn for DVD's? I'd hate to know i've been missing something..

Thanks & GL... Novender :)

5. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

For TV capture I use the Canopus ADVC-100 analog to DV converter and Adobe Premiere for capturing via firewire. Then encoding to mpeg2 using CCE with 4-pass VBR, often frameserving via VirtualDub with some clean-up filters, since my TV reception isn't the best right now.

Rgds,
    jnihil.

6. grundle

grundle Member

on sonicmydvd 4.0 how do u crate chapters? can you do this after you re-encode the svcd mpg to a dvd format or must this be done before? i just cant see how to do it... i would probably like then ever 8-10 mins.. throughout the film.
    also on the menu can u use mp3 for background sound?

7. grundle

grundle Member

on sonicmydvd 4.0 how do u crate chapters? can you do this after you re-encode the svcd mpg to a dvd format or must this be done before? i just cant see how to do it... i would probably like then ever 8-10 mins.. throughout the film.
    also on the menu can u use mp3 for background sound?

8. Novender

Novender Guest

not sure about the last few questions asked, but I have a 600mb avi movie and when i import it to sonicmy dvd it takes up more than the 4.7gb and is unusable, what am i doing wrong?