1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony 55" SXRD LCD Projection HDTV KDS-55A2000

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by poolpro, Feb 5, 2007.

1. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

Does anyone know what settings to use on this TV to get the best possible picture on HD or Standard definition? I am using HDMI and Component cables. HDMI for HD and Component for other equipment.

My viewing distance is about 7-8 feet. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the TV yet but I had the 60" version and I didn't quite like the picture quality of it.Before anyone asks why I am getting the smaller version it's because everyone says it has a better picture than it's bigger brother (KDS-60A2000).

I am looking into getting the 55" version because my cousin wants to buy my current TV and I was planning on replacing my set with the 55" A2000 model. Is this a good idea or is there a better TV out there that someone would recommend? I mainly want it for 1080P content. Oh yeah I don't like Plasma so just a quick heads up.Thanks in advance.

2. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Where did you hear that the 55" had a better pic? It's the same set, with the same inards. How can the pic be different?

3. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

well for the simple fact that it doesn't have to stretch so much to fill the screen.I heard it from many reviews such as Crutchfield and CNET.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i have the Sony SXRD 60" and so does ChiknLitl, DON'T do it. the 60" is the same picture quality as the 55" its the same Set ,same res. 1080p etc.

i had the 50" and exchanged it for the 60" the picture quality is the same

on HD your getting 1080i and that set transfers it to 1080p so its not going to get better than that you Standard definition channels are broadcasted in 480i (thats the problem) so you can get an upcoverting cablebox/sat receiver to upcovert it to 720p which will be a big improvement

also use an upcoverting DVD player like the Oppo

http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp

or get rooftop antenna to get your local channels in high def. for free

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2007
  5. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

yeah I got all of that it's just that I was dissapointed in the 60" Sony because I got a lot of shadowing and ghosting with that set. I would be watching HD content such as Smallville and when they walk around it leaves somewhat of a lagging picture like if they were moving in super fast motion.I hope you understand what I mean by this.Another thing I would get with the 60" TV is that on any resolution there was pixelization around their eyes like if they had crows feet.I also didn't like the sopposed 2.5ms response time as fast moving objects still had pixelization and blurriness.That was a big turnoff for me.If you know if this is a common problem on this set or if you know how to fix these problems please let me know so I can go buy it again.Good thing is I get major discounts as I have several friends that give me huge discounts.

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i don't have any of thoughs problems with my set at all

and the reviews from Crutchfield and CNET are wrong

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2007
  7. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

7-8 feet from a 60inch seems close to me....even for a 55inch. My 2 pixels.

8. Xpressor

Xpressor Regular member

we havent had no probs with our 60inch SXRD
    hmm your settings you could probably get some "general"
    with some searching.
    for some settings we used a utility dvd to make adjustments.
    but everyone sees their tvs differently.
    fortunately, with the quam tuner we can still get local programming hd w/o having to install a(n)antenna till my new dish and reciever
    come next week.
    i do have to say of the "over the air" hd i get our local NBC broadcast lags or something.
    Sunday night football had "ghosting" or fast motion scenes
    but Leno, Heroes, & Las Vegas nice at 1080i (over the air)
    the superbowl last week on Cbs (1080i)no hiccups at all
    hope that helps................................X

p.s. initially we were gonna get the "little" 50in SXrD
    but my wife convinced me to get the 60.. glad we did

9. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

I can say that I have had no ghosting problem at all with my set. It really performs well and is crystal clear for the most part. I have a smaller LCD set that I watch t.v. on with an 8ms response time and I definitely see the difference between that and the A2000. The only time I get a hint of pixelation or lag is during a fast moving basketball game. Is this problem you are having with all stations and inputs or one in particular? I do remember when I first got my set, Law and Order in HD always seemed to ghost or skip. That was the only show though and in SD it was fine. I chalked it up to something in the network signal. It has since resolved. Have you called Sony customer service or the place you bought it from? It could be a problem with the set's processing or something like that. Here's a link to settings recommended by Cnet, pretty decent, barring ISF calibration:

http://reviews.cnet.com/9601-4_7-0-4.html?messageID=2506536

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yeah i never had any kinds of thoughs problems either

thanks for the link ChiknLitl i am printing that off now then check my set

11. poolpro

poolpro Regular member

how is Cnet and Crutchfield wrong aabbccdd?

12. Playr

Playr Regular member

Bought the KDS-50A2000 this weekend as BestBuy was blowing them out. Anyway, Finally plug it in last night and ran the initial setup. For now I'm using just a roof mounted antenna and even with that it found 40 analog channels and 30 free HD sub-channels in my area (Los Angeles) were found. Some are as poor as 480p while others are 1080i (very nice). I have an OPPO 981HD dvd player coming on Monday so it will be interesting to see that setup. You can check available HD channels in your area by checking here.

Ok, some questions, is anyone using a PSTwo with their KDSXXA2000? The reason I ask is that in all the instruction booklets that accompany the various games it states "Warning to owners of projection TVs: Do not connect your PS2 console to a projection TV without first consulting the user manual for your projection TV, unless it is of the LCD type. Otherwise, it may permanently damage your TV screen." Oh, I know there is a "Game" mode you can choose for the video input the PS2 is connected to. So, maybe that alone will do it?

Does anyone have the OPPO 981 and if so, does it play DVD+R and DVD-ROM?

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

yes plays both fine

14. Playr

Playr Regular member

Thanks for the reply.

Now have you heard anything about the manufacturer's remote code? I want to use the Sony's remote to operate the 981.

15. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Playr, you might look in the owners manual for a code or just call Oppo for one
    (650) 961-1118

16. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Congrats on the new set! SXRD sets are immune to "burn-in". If you look in the SXRD owner's manual, page 10:

"...when [stationary images] are displayed for long periods of time, there may be some image retention on the screen. This is only a temporary condition. Turning off the power...or letting the t.v. run on another channel will eliminate the retained image."

I have a PS2, Wii, xbox360, and my computer running throught this set and have had no screen probs. I think the "game mode" minimizes signal processing by the set to minimize display lag etc. I think that might be explained in the owner's manual but can't quite remember where. Enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  17. Playr

Playr Regular member

Very good. Thanks guys.

18. error5

error5 Regular member

The A2000 series SXRD's have been discontinued and have been replaced by the A2020 series.

19. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

What are the differences with the A2020? As far as I can tell...it's black. Did they resolve the VGA input resolution issue?

20. F150FX4

F150FX4 Member

I m happy with my 55" Sony.

Can you PLEASE test oppo DVD player (w/ hdmi cable) to see if closed caption or open caption working?

I am having some trouble with hdmi cable with that tv 55" and it wont set closed/open caption!

I was told that Samsung and few other do have Closed/open caption with hdmi but sony dvd player dont..

THANKS!
    YOMAN!