1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony AVI Files

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by bruceh, Dec 5, 2002.

1. bruceh

bruceh Guest

I I borrowed my friend's Sony DCR-TRV530 digital video camera
    and installed the VideoWave III software that came along with it.
    When I downloaded the video to my PC (win2000) the AVI file
    that was generated seems to be non-standard. I try to use WinAmp
    and it hangs. I tried to import it into Adobe Premiere and it
    says it can't read it.

Is there a way to convert to/from the Sony AVI files?

2. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

bruceh,

Sorry to read about your problem. Checkout this site :- http://www.puremotion.com/

Have a look around, some very good technical info. Their editing software has an AVI file converstion utility. From type 1 to type 2.

If I recall, if you right click on the file name, check the properties, it tells you what type your file is. Most editing application use type 2.

HomerJ

3. miksirhc

miksirhc Member

VideoWave III standard recording format is mpeg2. This means if your media player does not have FourCC or any other proper codec, either you’ll only hear the sound or crash your system, i.e. hang-ups. Great thing about Windows 2000 is that it self-corrects before you really have to reboot. If you are able to play back within VideoWave III program your computer and your methods are perfect. If you are perusing to playback the file using Windows Media Player download the proper codec or install a mpeg2 player separately.