1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Bravia - Cannot connect to Network

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by zipzapzip, Dec 30, 2008.

1. zipzapzip

zipzapzip Member

Hi

I have tried everything I know, to connect a Sony KDL 52W4500 HDTV to a home network - with no joy.

I phoned Sony Helpline - bloke didn't understand what I was talking about.

This is my set up;

BT Voyager 2110 ADSL Modem/Router (wireless)
    Main desktop PC: XP Pro
    Wife's laptop: Vista Home Premium

I have enabled file sharing on both computers via:
    Windows Media Player 11

Everytime I try to set up the network settings on the TV I receive a message that the;

Network connection is not connected.

I am new to all this - am I doing something wrong or does my TV have a problem?

I was under the impression that I could send music via the VISTA laptop (DLNA) to the DLNA TV via the Voyager Wireless router.

Any help or guidance would really be appreciated as I've spent days trying to get this to work.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

2. ovenchips

ovenchips Member

Just got my new Sony Bravia KDL40W4500U working on my network - didn't take too long. I'm presuming the TV interface is almost identical - can't comment on your router (mines a Buffalo running DD-WRT).
    Sorry if some steps seem stupidly obvious!

1. If you run Windows Media Player(WMP) on both machines, can you see the other machine(and vice versa) if you go into
    Now playing >> More Options >> Library >> Configure Sharing
    ??? If you can see one from the other, then the TV should be able to see one or the other...

2. Have you got a standard (not crossover) network cable connected from the TV to a spare LAN port on the back of your router?

3. On the TV remote, go into the menu by pressing Home, then into Settings >> Network Settings >> Network. I have DHCP enabled on the router, so if you want a static IP you're on your own, but anyway, navigate to the Test button top right, click it and then click Yes to start the network diagnostic. If all OK then you'll get a "Connection Successful" message.

4. Now your TV is connected to the network, run make sure WMP is running on either computer (try the desktop first). In the TV menu go into Settings >> Network Settings >> Server Display Settings. Takes a while before you see anything. If you're not seeing anything yet, press the Options button on the remote, then select "Update List". I also ran the Server diagnostics test too which kicked mine into life...

Hope this helps, maybe someone can explain to me why I can view photos and play music from a networked computer, but can't find anyway to play video? Is it me being thick?! The "Renderer" mentioned on the TV menu is turned on, WMP is set to play video...
    Is it that you "push" video to a renderer(TV) from the PC as opposed to "pulling" photos/music from a PC???

3. ovenchips

ovenchips Member

Just read the manual - all the TV can do is show photos and play music from a DLNA server. No video - guess I have to connect a PC to the TV for that...

4. zipzapzip

zipzapzip Member

Ovenchips, thanks for your help.

I will try what you say (can't do it till the weekend).
    What you have explained seems like it will work.

I did not hard wire the router to the TV (the manual did not explain this).

I will be very annoyed if I cannot play video or BBC iPlayer through the TV as I brought this Sony as: DLNA Certified.

The DLNA site states that you can play music/images AND video from your PC to the TV.

I chose this model because it had this capability.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This is a snippet from the DLNA site;

http://www.dlna.org/digital_living/getting_started/

You recently downloaded your daughter’s birthday party video from your digital camcorder to your PC, and stored it on your DLNA Certified network attached storage (NAS) drive. Now you want to share it with your parents who are visiting. Step one: Use the TV’s remote to call up the video on your DLNA Certified TV. That’s it. No step two.

Before DLNA: You probably had to burn a DVD of that video, taking hours, or you had to hook up the camcorder to the TV to watch it, fiddling with messy cables that are never where you thought you put them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you once again.

Stephen