1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony BRAVIA KDL-46XBR3

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by abcc, Oct 26, 2006.

1. abcc

abcc Member

2. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

I don't have it, ( just got a 55inch Sony KDS55A2000) but I have seen it in the stores.

Very nice picture.......You should be very happy w/ it.

3. mxjpfrk

mxjpfrk Guest

i don't have it yet, i'm waiting for the price to drop. i have tried to find out all the info i could about it, then i compared it to a few other brand's. i went in to circuit city, and was able to see the xbr2 next to the samsung 4692d and i really liked the quality of the picture on the sony.
    the xbr2 and xbr3 are the same, except for the black bezel around the 3. i also liked the extra hdmi(3) because almost all the others offer 2. this model also has a 18 month warranty, and if you go to the sony.com site you will see that sony offer's extended warranty's that are priced far below some retailer's. this will be an added saving's, and for the price your paying for the tv the extended warranty is a must.
    i'm hoping that between thanksgiving and christmas the price will be right. the price at local retailer's isnt dropping much as of yet, but on line retailer's have come down about $1000 in the past month. if you buy on line make sure it's an authorized sony retailer with a good past history. everyone claims to be an authorized dealer, but you can go once more to sony.com and find a list of authorized dealers. the one i will be chosing if the retail store dosen't come down in price enough will be from one of these four: cruchfield.com, abt.com, vann.com., or b&h.com. i have bought alot of high end digital camera's and camera equipment from b&h, and never had a problem, but the other three have just as good of reputaiton's, so it will depend on who offer's the lowest price the day i can't wait any longer.
    good luck

4. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

mxjpfrk

Good advice. Good luck w/ your purchase as well. Yeah I've noticed that prices from online retailers is MUCH cheaper than retail.

Too bad C.C. won't match online prices.Only retail stores. I could have got my TV for about $700 less, than what I paid for.I was stuck w/ having to purchase it at CC, because I had about $2300 in store credit. Because my other TV (hitachi 51S500) went out on me after 3 years. Luckily I had the protection plan they offered & got every single penny back, that I paid for the TV 3 years ago.

What was nice though is that, the day after I purchased my set. I saw BB have it for about $180 less then what I paid. Went into CC that day & they gave me the difference back ( went toward what I had financed the difference, out of pocket).

I have only had my TV for about 5 days so far. I did get the 2 year protection plan which includes bulb replacement. From what I've heard, Sony's warranty does not cover the bulb replacement. A new bulb for my set costs about $250.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  5. abcc

abcc Member

hi, im also waiting for the price to go down, its at $4,100 at the few stores that carry it around my area.

I'm alittle scared to buy online because about 1 1/2 years ago i bought a LCD hd tv from ebay, and i was a victum and lost $1,700 from buying from these people, part my fault for being for wanting a hd right away, and seeing that he wasnt a Power Seller and had only 10 feedback and 1 negative.

But now have a better job, and doing some research before buying.

This Sony has a Contrast of 7000:1 , i saw a Plasma that was 10000:1 , so i was thinking which one is better , this Sony LCD, or a Plasma ? anyone know ? thanks

I want to use the TV for PS3 , and my dvd's and future Blue Ray movies.

Thanks

6. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

My Sony KDS55A2000 , rear projection LCD TV has a

10000 : 1 ratio as well.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  7. mxjpfrk

mxjpfrk Guest

which one is better depends on you. which tv appeal's to your eye's.
    i'm like you when it come's to shopping on line, but i just gave it a try for the sony kdl46xbr3. believe me i did all the research i could before i made the order. i went from one retailers web site to another, back and forth, time after time. they all claim to be AUTHORIZED DEALER'S for the products they sell, but they aren't.
    i ordered from abt electronics because i went to the sony site to find authorized sony dealers. if you go to your first post and pull up the 46xbr under the hd1080 logo you will see "find a retailer". click on that and in the next window you will see "click here to find an authorized on line retailer" blue lettering.
    click the name of the retailer and a form will pop up in a new window. click their name again and it will take you to their site and a sony logo should appear if they are an authorized sony retailer. when you click the sony logo it will take you back to the sony site again which mean's they are an authorized dealer.
    as for the difference in tv's, i now have a samsung dlp rear projection. it's a great tv, but it's only 720p. i went into a ciruit city store to check a newer one out, and while i was there i noticed the sony lcd. as a matter of fact the whole wall had lcd and plasma's on it. the sony was right next to a samsung 4696 so i could look at one and then the other. they were both great, but what sold me on sony was that they are everywhere and i think if something goe's wrong there are alot more sony tech's out there. any way i looked at both up close, far away, at different angle's and if i could have i would have stood on my head for another view. the picture never changed on either one no matter where i stood and that alone amazed me because on my dlp when it's directly in front of me the picture is fantastic, but when i get up or move around the picture becomes less than perfect. go into a store and compare like i did and you will understand. it's great to see the same picture all the time like i did with the lcd's.
    from what i have read, lcd and dlp have no burn in on the screen from playing games, or freezing the same frame for a period of time, but the plasma's DO have burn in. i have left my computer on with no screen saver many a times in the past two years and i dont see any burn in on the screen? i wont say it cant happen, it just hasn't happened yet. i have also used the ps2 and no problems.
    also on the sony site you can find extended warranty's cheaper than the retailer's, but i haven't looked into that yet so i can't say much about it.
    hope this help's?

8. mxjpfrk

mxjpfrk Guest

sorry, forgot to mention i e mailed abt a number of time's about different question's i had. one of the e-mails came back offering me a better price than was on their web site so that's another reason i ordered from them.
    i had a set price i was looking for because everything will be on sale between thanksgiving and christmas and when they gave me the price i was looking for i went ahead and ordered. if they go lower than that in the next 30 days they will refund that amount.
    i guess i just couldn't wait for christmas.

9. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

mxjpfrk

so what did you order ??

10. mxjpfrk

mxjpfrk Guest

i went with the sony kdl46xbr3 because the picture looked better, i think there are more service tech's around the country, you can buy an extended warranty through sony.com, i like 3 hdmi connection's, and just about everything i read about it was good, other than the price. the 3 hdmi connection's is great with all that is now coming out, blue ray, a/v receiver's, dvd, ps3. i wouldnt buy anything that didnt have hdmi connection's, and like everything a new version of hdmi will be coming out next year, everything this year won't be compatable. i also have a dell xps 600 built for gaming, and on my samsung it look's great and it's just 720p so i cant wait to see if there is a difference with 1080.
    i have owned alot of sony products over the past 40 years and i can't remember ever having a problem.
    i think samsung and sony are the best for now at the price i was wanting to pay, and i believe i read that next year sony and samsung will join forces to produce better and cheaper lcd's for the consumer.
    when it came right down to it i guess i'm always worried that anything can break, and everyone offers service contract's at all prices, but when i saw that sony also offered one directly from them that is what finally sold me.

11. abcc

abcc Member

i think i am sold on the Sony, but not for $4,100 , a friend of mines got it for $3,400 when it was on sell in Best Buy he says. So no way i want to pay $4,100 , but i do want that TV , so ill be waiting and shoping around, soo far looking at my wall with the tape on it of 40 inches X 22 inches is moviating me for the 46" Sony .

12. abcc

abcc Member

sorry, i think maybe it was a circuit city he may have said

13. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

yeah, go w/ the 46 inch. When I got my TV, I was gonna get a 50 in. but thought the 55 in. would look not too big.

Glad I got the 55 instead.

14. abcc

abcc Member

i may get it this weekend the Sony 46" , im going to use a BestBuy coupon for 12 percent off , so that should be some good savings there. Next ill need the brackets for the wall.