1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-500A

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by kobifuzz, Oct 21, 2002.

1. kobifuzz

kobifuzz Guest

Has anyone heard a release date in the US for this unit?

2. Marino13

Marino13 Member

Already out. I have one. Works great.

3. kobifuzz

kobifuzz Guest

i haven't noticed any vendors selling them here yet, where did you get yours?

4. Marino13

Marino13 Member

Best Buy. $349

5. robbyrob

robbyrob Guest

I myself will be getting this one.. If anyone having this one can say of any probs or compatability probs i will appreciate it. I have read a couple of reviews and what better than having the best of both worlds.

peace!

6. kobifuzz

kobifuzz Guest

checked with my local best buy, they will have it in stock tonight at $399! might have to wait until i can get it cheaper on the net. thanks for the info.

7. kobifuzz

kobifuzz Guest

i've been waiting for this unit to come out for a while, but i see some very negative comments from other users such as cpukiller who basically say its a piece of junk....is anyone else having major problems or is this just growing pains? any problems with burning -r / -rw?

8. oldnavyt

oldnavyt Guest

I have the Sony DRU-500a and wish I did not.
    What You do not find out until you get it home is that the software is incomplete. When you try to download the packet writing software (DLA) you find out that it will not be out until late november. In other words you can not use the drive like a floppy and write files by drag and drop in explorer. You must gather up enough data to fill the disc so it can be burned all at one time. i was able to use ISO buster and extract a complete dvd of 4.2 gig and then write it right back to a blank disc and it plays just fine. But I wanted it to store a large amount of files as I saw fit. and right now that just ain't gonna happen. The drive itself seems to be fine but the software sucks and software runs the world. it is sad a company the size of sony rushed a drive out to grab market share without finishing the job.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2002
  9. GFRguy

GFRguy Guest

Circuit City $349. Still trying to figure it out will let you know later. still a newbie DJ

10. GreyHawk

GreyHawk Guest

I just got this unit at Best Buy. Seems to work ok despite the aforementioned software dilema. Anyone else notice Nero, CDRWin, and Fireburner not recognizing it as a valid recorder device? So far that's my big problem. Not worth the $$$ if I can't use it to burn bins.
    Disregard that - Updated new ASPI drivers. Works fine with Fireburner (but not Nero).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2002
  11. oldnavyt

oldnavyt Guest

Mine seems to work with Clone CD, Nero version 5.5.9.14, Cdrwin 5, Alcohol 120, and a couple of others that I can not think of right now. However will not packet write with any software so far no matter what they say. I was really hoping it would work under Adaptec EZ CD Creator but it will not. Besides the recordnow software uninstalled EZ CD Creator anyway and I have not put it back yet to try the latest patch or update. On a side note I see a chance to side step the whole DVD decrypt, convert, reconvert process if there were a program that would take a VOB file taken from a DVD and let you import it to use in your DVD creation process by using ISO Buster. Any ideas?

12. SciFer

SciFer Guest

oldnavyt, can you pls tell us what OS, ASPI layer version, and if your running VIA. Thanks

13. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

I bought my burner on 10/30 and EZ CD Creator 5 doesn't reconize it. Maybe there is a patch out their. Nero was doing the same. So I had to use the RecordNow program it comes with and that program sucks. No moving files around on the layout or renameing. Nothing is negative about the burner it's just that all the writing software you have will have to be updated. I work at CompUSA in Austin and from the people that I've talked too that work here said its a good burner, worth buying.

14. madmaxY

madmaxY Member

Will Princo DVD-Rs burn at 4X on this drive?
    Sony DRU-500A

15. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

I updated EZ Creator 5 to V. XX.XX.XX.34
    It's a 18MB file you can get from www.Roxio.com or kazaa (search - Roxio Update Wizard). After the update it works great with that burner. Highly recomended.

16. SciFer

SciFer Guest

madmax
    oddly, it burned my 1st Princo DVD-R but did not accept any other ones. All from same batch?!!

17. madmaxY

madmaxY Member

18. oldnavyt

oldnavyt Guest

Sorry took so long to respond but inventory calls.
    I am running XP Pro (non service pack yet).
    My current aspi is 4.711 but I was informed by ASPICHK that I have older components mixed in. I have installed and uninstalled so much stuff lately I have decided to wait until Sony's software comes out before I do a wipe and re-install everything clean.
    I have a P4 2ghz on an intel board,120g hard drive, 1g of ram, and a 64meg video card. It is a VPR matrix from Best Buy, they basically gave this machine away by miss marking it for $700.00
    I think after reading what Sgt USMC had to say I will re-install EZ CD Creator with the latest update and see what happens. He did not say if it worked great as a CD-R drive or as the DVD part of the drive though.

19. oldnavyt

oldnavyt Guest

Well who needs that DLA crap now. Re-installed EZ CD Creator and applied the latest patch and what do you know, Now I can drag and drop files for data storage as I see fit, not all at one time. So far so good, we will see.

20. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

Hey oldnavyt, with that upgrade it works excellent no problems. It works great as a CD-R burner and DVD burner. Make sure you select which one in the menu before burning (CD or DVD for data). Great Program