1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-500A

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by kobifuzz, Oct 21, 2002.

1. madmaxY

madmaxY Member

Ok, here is what I can say so far...

A. I don’t have 4X DVD-R media, I cant even find it on the web

B. The 1X Princo Media that I bought from http://www.rima.com works just
    fine at 1X.

C. The Sony drive is definitely made higher quality than the Panasonic,
    but the software that comes with both drives suck, when will they learn that Nero is the best

D. not much else to say, I paid $185 for the Panasonic and $349 for the Sony,
    The Sony is worth the extra cash because of the quality and future 4X capability
    when I can find the 4X disks

Not much of a review, but that is all I have so far.
    :alien:

2. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

Yea, the software that it comes with it is crap, don't bother with it, just throw that disk in the trash. But when does a burner come with great software?

3. DVDelight

DVDelight Member

This burner rocks. I have burnt 4 ps2 backups so far with nothing but the included RecordNow software. They play flawlessly on $2 Universal DVD-R media. Best part is I ordered mine from Dell and it was $274 after tax, and shipping was free! Smoking deal....too bad it is over. check edealinfo.com for other hot deals like this.

4. Sgt_USMC

Sgt_USMC Member

I can sell this burner for $325. You'll save $25 from retail. If you live in the Austin area call me at 512-502-6833

5. laser

laser Member

Any suggestions. I have this burner it works great with one exception so far neither easy cd creator with the upgrade or record now will make a data disk that can be read in other dvd drives. I have tried different media and 4 different dvd drives. Disks work great in the sony. My system is a Gateway 700C P-4 2Gig 512 memory (PC800) 120 Gig hard drive running XP Pro with the service pack installed.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated

Last edited: Nov 9, 2002
  6. WilliamHS

WilliamHS Guest

Can anyone let me know which brand of DVD-R they are using that works?

I tried a $1.25 Generic from Cyberguys and got Toast. Same with the more expensive Memorex.

TDK and K-Hypermedia work fine but I would like to find a cheaper DVD-R disk.

7. dirtynbl

dirtynbl Guest

i got the burner for $265 at dell the other day. So far i haven't burned anything mainly cuz i get errors every time. I've only spent about an hour fiddling, I'm sure it will kick ass though. Just wanted to give heads up that if dell runs another 15% coupon or something that this drive can be procured for dirt cheap. When I called dell they told me it would be 280 with 15% off for the drive. I was ok with that but it was on backorder so I acted angry and the guy tells me that he has a DRU-500A for cheaper and not on backorder. Turns out dell has the drive listed twice in their system. As I said I got it for 265. Peece.

8. blade717

blade717 Guest

Just bought Sony DRU-500A, and when I try using DVD Decrypter I get a warning about "Logical Unit Region has not been set!" Anyone know where I can find a region patch for this thing?

9. Golblez

Golblez Guest

Hello, I just purchased and installed this driver for dell. I was wondering if the person who was able to burn ps2 games could tell me what software and settings were neccessary to do so. I hope you'll reply to this or message me as Golblez on AIM, thanks.

10. vertrider

vertrider Guest

Hi Laser,

I have exactly the same problem with my Sony DRU-500A like you.

Right now it writes Data-DVD Disks, which can only be read in the DRU-500A itself, but no other DVD-Drive can read them, that I have tried so far.

I am using a
    Athlon XP 1700+
    Win 2000 Pro and
    Record Now.
    I haven't had time to update Nero, but will do so in the next days.

Any workaround so far?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2002
  11. laser

laser Member

vertrider

I found that the drive was working ok. All the drives I tried my disks in did not support DVD R media (matshita's) made by panasonic. When I did use a DVD drive that supported DVD R media everything was OK

Laser

12. madmaxY

madmaxY Member

I use Nero 5.5.9.17

Do not use wizard mode!!!

-Choose to make a new compilation
    -On the left, choose DVD-ROM (UDF)
    -On the right, click the UDF tab
    -Choose Physical Partition
    -Choose File System Version UDF 1.02
    -Click NEW

Then just add stuff and burn.
    This will make DVD-R's read on all computer
    DVD-ROM drives

13. madmaxY

madmaxY Member

Also, for it to read from some DVD-ROM's
    you may neen to close the disk.

Close the disk means it fills the disk with
    junk data completely. This is an option in Nero also.

14. vertrider

vertrider Guest

Thank you all!

I'll try that.

15. vertrider

vertrider Guest

Hi MadMax and all the others!

Thanks.

Problem resolved. I was very stupid...

I have burned DVD+RW's and DVD+R's and was in fact wondering, why my DVD-R CD-ROM drive wouldn't read them.

Well it can't - logically, because is only supposed to read DVD-R's and won't read other formats...

I went to a shop today, bought Sony DVD-R media (DMR47), burned several ISO-DVDs in upgraded Nero with them, surprise ;o), my DVD-Drive can read them without any problems.

Stupid me.

Finally I have one fun thing to mention at last: There was one strange moment yesterday, when I tried out all different DVDs (+RW, +R) I had burned so far, again in my dear DVD-ROM drive.

In a crazy move, it displayed a DVD+R and it contents in explorer. I could even read it. But it only did that one time on that day, never again on the same disc.

Thanks for the help,
    Christoph

16. sanmarc

sanmarc Member

Thanks for this great thread on the Sony DRU-500A - I was dead in the water trying to use the bogus software that came with the drive. After uninstalling the junk that came with the drive and reinstalling CD Creator 5.0 + the upgrade patch I am a happy camper again. Works great.

I bought mine at PCNation for $313 (Free shipping) and it came in 2 days! Here's the url

http://www.pcnation.com/asp/detailsplit.asp?bname=TRI036

Happy burning!

17. sanmarc

sanmarc Member

laser_ Try uninstalling Creator and DirectCD then reinstalling again. I had to reinstall to get mine to work.

18. ZaphodUK

ZaphodUK Member

Im gonna be bold here and say i hate this machine and it is going back.

I've had this thing for 6 days now. Did 3 successful burns first time so thought all those horror stories i'd read were just that.

Then i burnt 3 coasters off the trott. 2 with nero (not buffer underruns as buffer was constantly at 98% throughout) and 1 with RecordNow. 50% success, i started to get suspicious. These were ISO's i had built from my HD and weren't small files.

Flashed the bios of the drive to 1.0d, seemed to do the trick. Another 2 successful burns and 1 failure, software fault tho as the burn worked but the game didn't

Then i changed brand of media, was using Mirror Platinum up to now, switched to some unbranded silvers to see if they would work, crashed out on the Lead-in. The DVD+RW that came with the unit was capable of burning all the ISO's i threw at it, but these DVD-R's of various qualties, brands and price would not.

Today i have attempted 6 burns on 3 different types of media, 3 of them crashed arround the 17 minute mark of a 50 minute burn and the other 3 didn't even get out of the Lead-in burn.

This drive is a piece of crap and i am taking it back. I wouldnt care but it cost £60 uk pounds more than the Pioneer 105 and i only bought it as the shop assistant said it was better.

I can't get back to the shop until Saturday so if anyone can save me from trashing yet more discs i would be grateful.

I now have a success rate of about 35%

19. dchannam

dchannam Guest

Ordered mine today from Dell, 10% off right now, no tax and free shipping, $304 total, will be a few weeks before I see it though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2002
  20. SevenVII

SevenVII Member

Ordered mine through Tigredirect.com...they screwed up order and somehow it poofed. Well to compensate they took my back-order and turned it into a new order, and next day aired it to me. Tonight I will be entering the wonderful world(headache) of dvd backups.

Well, hope all goes well.