1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-510A setup?????

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ozrookie, Dec 4, 2003.

1. ozrookie

ozrookie Regular member

Guys can someone tell me is this the best setting for my Sony DRU-510A???

IDE 1 ---> HD
    IDE 2 ---> Sony Dvd-burner setting "SLAVE" &
    HP Cd Writer setting "MASTER".

Cheers :)

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi ozrookie,
    You've got both optical drives on your secondary IDE cable which is correct. The cable should have an end connector that plugs into the drive in the top bay and a second connector located in the middle of the cable connected to the drive in the lower bay. Set the top drive (end connector) to master and the lower drive (middle connector) to slave. :D
    Good luck!
    Frank

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I haven't got your setup......but I would have your cd writer as primary slave and your dvd burner as secondary master.....

What size IDE cable have you got - 40way or 80 way?
    Also make sure the END of the IDE connector is plugged into the master and the MIDDLE connector is plugged into the slave....

My setup is as follows:

Primary Master - HD - 60Gb
    Primary Slave - DVDROM LG (cheapo but solid)
    Secondary Master - DVDRW+/- Pioneer 106
    Secondary Slave - HD 120Gb

I have no issues with speed/data transfer/buffer underuns or communication with the above....

There are constant debates on 'the optimum setup' but if you are transferring from one device to another and they are CONNECTED on the same IDE irrespective of whether they are master/slave, then data collisions and buffer underuns will occur causing problems.....

Hope this helps...._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Beware of the Pixies - they move in over night and turn your life upside down

[/small]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2003
  4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi baabaa,
    I'm looking at the instruction sheet that came with one of my drives, it shows various ways to make the connections. This one works for me in my Vaio. I haven't had any problems with buffer underrun at 4x. I have my ROM as slave on the secondary IDE cable and the writer as master on the same cable. Being an experimenter, I will switch to your set up and see what happens! lol
    Frank

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

There really is no 'optimum' setup just a setup which will minimise possible problems....

Mainly due to different h/ware manufacturers - motherboards/chipsets/ide controllers etc.....

it is all dependent on your pc makeup.....

People have success with 'on the fly' copying with the the reader and writer on the same ide but you can also see that this MAY cause data collisions etc......however it does not mean it will not work.....

Your setup may work well with your mix of h/ware and may not work at all with a different setup.......it is a case of trial though...

My PC would not function well for 'on the fly' transfer due to my setup being exactly like yours, that is why I altered it and it cured the problem fine....

Worth having a play but if it works, there is no reason really to change it.....

Do not forget, you have 2 main variables here...the Operating system and motherboard chipsets........the unison between the two will differ from manufacturer to manufacturer and also the other variable - your HD or IDE devices....but they are generally controlled in the same ways - via the 40 or 80 way ribbon...etc

Another variable that MAY also be relevant is the DVD rewriter....if they have a good buffer underun protection installed within (I know the 106 has) then it may not matter how they are connected......just a thought...

I do know that using Recordnow DX I had 2 106 rewriters installed (bought the other for pops, and just had to test it out first) - the other in place of the 120Gb HD (ie same IDE) and burned 2 dvd's at once in 13mins with no probs....

Last edited: Dec 5, 2003